Caspian 1911A1 Retro Sleeper - Page 2

Caspian 1911A1 Retro Sleeper

This is a discussion on Caspian 1911A1 Retro Sleeper within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Did we hijack this? I'm terribly sorry. So I have to ask...do you want to sell? I'm not in the market now....but there's always later, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caspian 1911A1 Retro Sleeper

JD
    Administrator
    Did we hijack this? I'm terribly sorry. So I have to ask...do you want to sell? I'm not in the market now....but there's always later, and it's getting harder and harder to find good blueing.

Administrator

Wink OK Team American

Let's keep this thread on topic.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    That is a really nice looking pistol. And the bluing on it is real glossy. How does it compare to the color on the old Colt Pythons? I've always thought that the ones I have seen looked really nice. I think Colt called it Royal Blue. I've heard that the secret to that color was prep and polish, before the bluing.

VIP Member

"I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

OD*
    I've heard that the secret to that color was prep and polish, before the bluing.
    You've heard correctly, it is all, in the prep.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

What an absolutely classic! And you're right, the bluing is beautiful. I would put in a bid if you were selling, but stupid California law doesn't allow Guns brought into the state that aren't on the "not unsafe gun list", but that is one truly classic 1911!

Thanks to all for the kind comments. Yes, the secret to the bluing is in the prep. Here is the routine:
    1. Wahs out the parts after polishing and bead blasting with disc brake cleaner, the non-chlorinated kind.
    2. Wash in Simple Green to degrease and clean
    3. Flush with water
    4. If previously blued, wash with a 10% muratic acid bath to remove any old bluing.
    5. Flush with clean water again and put into water bath to keep from rusting.
    6. Into the bluing salts bath for 30-45 minutes.
    7. Pull the parts and if blue looks good, immediatly into a clean water bath to flush out the salts.
    8. washing again with Simple Green to remove any excess salts and crud.
    9. Super dousing of WD40 to remove all traces of water and diplace it with oil.
    10. Good but gentle rub down or carding to remove the excess color and bluing
    11. Solid oil bath. I prefer synthetic motor oil. And it stays in there for a couple of hours to days, depending on when I want to assemble the gun.
    12. Parts get wiped down and assembled, then the gun gets another heavy wipe down with FP-10 or Shooter's Choice, wrapped in an oil soaked rag and stored until shootin, sale or whatever. The best thing is not to handle the gun to heavily or wipe it down excessivly for the first 2-4 days to let the blue "cure". I like to either leave them in oil for 2-3 days or assemble and then give them a heavy coat of oil and wrap in an oily rag for several days.

There is nothing like a real nice blued gun. I took out my Carbonia blue WWI reproduction Colt and this gun is the same deep rich blue that the Colt is, a bit darker, but it doesn't have the irridecent blue tones that the Carbonia has, but it does have some pretty nice deep purple, black and blue hues to it. Really pretty gun and not the average light blue that you see on most of the blued guns. I do this in house and can do any small to large sized automatic or revolver. My bluing tanks is small so I cannot do a rifle at this time, but I have plans to build a bigger tank and pipe burner so I can handle the bigger rifles. I love to blue guns. I also do parkerizing and spray finishes, but there is nothing like a real nice blued 1911 and cocobolo or walnut grips. Yow!

Thanks for the kind words guys. This one is up for grabs and the custom case comes with it. PM me if your interested, it is a very good price for this quality of 1911.

Jess
    "Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21ontarget1911@gmail.com
    OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
    http://www.ontargetcgw.com

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Jess, I'll will most definitely, keep you in mind, if I run across one that I want blued. That dark blue that looks to e inches deep,and with the purple highlights is one of the most beautiful finishes that is to be seen on a gun. I've seen it close with a couple that was done in GunKote, or DuraCoat. I forget which it was but that looked really nice also.

Thumbs up

Another nice one.

Very similar to a project I almost did but ended up straying from.

I like the concept of a "basic" looking 1911 that will hold it's own with the hi-tech match, race-gun or tacti-cool pistols.

Ontarget1911,
    I do have to say, you have outstanding taist in mods.
    If I can get any control of my budget thats just about the same thing I would do to my SA G.I. Milspec, except I would keep the matt finish.

Gun Case Pics

This case will also go to the lucky new owner. Name plate as well.

Jess

"Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21ontarget1911@gmail.com
    OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
    http://www.ontargetcgw.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links