T Series Browning Hi Power and JHPs

This is a discussion on T Series Browning Hi Power and JHPs within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I took my '66 BHP out and ran about 50 rounds of WWB 147gr JHPs through it. I read some accounts where the older ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: T Series Browning Hi Power and JHPs

Yesterday I took my '66 BHP out and ran about 50 rounds of WWB 147gr JHPs through it. I read some accounts where the older Brownings had trouble feeding JHP, so I decided to see for myself. I took a couple of half gallon milk jugs, and a 2-liter soda bottle, filled them with water, and proceeded to tear them to shreds. The bottles literally exploded, I assume due to some round expansion. It was a blast (literally).

Not a single FTF or FTE. In fact, it was flawless. This is the weapon I used to qualify for my permit about a decade ago, but I've never carried it. I have fired a lot of ball ammo through it.

It was a great way to end my day, and I got a "new" carry weapon in the process. Maybe I'll have to get that VM2 I've been dreaming about.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I managed to locate a '69 BHP in mint condition with the original carrying case . It's so nice however, that it's a safe queen.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

My BHP from the early 70's is particular as to what type of JHP that it will chamber reliably. The 147 grain rounds that I have tried have about a 20% FTFeed ratio. 115 Grain work fine with a variety of manufacturers ammo. One of these days, I am going to polish the feed ramp and see if I can get it reliable with the larger bullets.

My "T" Browning HP has no problems firing HP ammo.
    I even loaded up some 158 Gr SWC Lead, the data was out of an older Speer manual, and they worked fine.
    I did have problems with that load in a new Browning HP, Feeding problems existed.

Quote Originally Posted by chjtoken View Post
    My BHP from the early 70's is particular as to what type of JHP that it will chamber reliably. The 147 grain rounds that I have tried have about a 20% FTFeed ratio. 115 Grain work fine with a variety of manufacturers ammo. One of these days, I am going to polish the feed ramp and see if I can get it reliable with the larger bullets.
    You send that puppy to Bill Laughridge at Cylinder & Slide and It will feed anything you run through it without a hiccup. He specializes in BHP's. Reasonable rates too. A little bit of a back-log, but that's because he's in such high demand. It will be worth the trip.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

jyo
    The Brownings reputation for not feeding JHPs comes from way back when hollow-points often featured either blunt noses or even exposed lead up front---not the case anymore---new JHP bullets are shaped to match FMJs as much as possible---often they will feed in unmodified pistols (try it before you really need it!). The heavier 147 grain 9mm ammo came out rather recently---the pistol was designed around 115-125 grain projectiles---I NEVER use 147s brcause they are too slow---the 9mm is a medium caliber and if you use slow bullets, you are giving up the one thing the 9mm had going for it---speed! Pistols that will not feed JHPs just need a little attention from a proper gunsmith.

I've owned Browning Hi Power pistols for over 40 years. I've fed them everything from WW2 surplus Nazi SMG ammo to handloads with .358 SWC's. I've never had a problem with any ammo. Great pistols, completely reliable under just about any circumstances.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

I have a late 1940s commercial Hi-Power that loves the 147 grain JHP load; a load notable for imparting extra "spin" on my spinner target. Even though bullet weight isn't all there is to it with effective self defense loads that 147 grain load is hard hitting.
    Bombsaway likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Sponsored Links