POA vs POI

POA vs POI

This is a discussion on POA vs POI within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I have owned and shot handguns for over 45 years and have always had problems with my point of aim vs my point of ...

Thread: POA vs POI

POA vs POI

Hi,
    I have owned and shot handguns for over 45 years and have always had problems with my point of aim vs my point of impact. In the past I have always been fortunate enough to own handguns that had adjustable sights but now I have a Smith 642 that does not have adjustable sights so my POI problem is back in my life. With fixed sights my point of impact is always low and to the left. I shoot pretty good groups but not to my POA. At 12' I will be about 8" low and 4" to the left. It does not seem to vary with bullet weight or brands.

I know the problem is me and not the gun because I have experienced this problem many times over the years.

Any suggestions as to what my problem is?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Bear in mind I am definitely NOT a firearms instructor so what I'm about to say is all hear say but may be something to think about. Could the low part of the equation be caused by flinching trying to fight recoil before it happens? test this by having someone put a snap cap or two in your gun with you not knowing where they are, see if you flinch when it just goes click. The left may be caused by having too much finger on the trigger which would push your gun left when you squeeze the trigger. Again, take this with a grain of salt but it may be something to think about and at least try.
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

Its a mechanics issue. I would suggest finding a local instructor and take a class. It will be well worth your time and investment. Your problem is very easy to fix.

I agree re taking instruction, in the mean time this may help.

Pistol and Revolver Error Analysis and Correction
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Moderator
    Guantes got it.
    That chart is correct.

Low and to the left is a common error. Usually too much of the finger is stuck in the trigger guard. Use only the pad of the finger and squeeze straight back.

Try some dry firing at a target. Balance a quarter on the top of the barrel and practice squeezing the trigger. At first the quarter will fall off. When you realize what you are doing, it will stay. This will teach both trigger control and follow through,another important aspect of shooting.

Get that right and then start practicing with live rounds. Its a good idea to have someone load the gun for you so that they can only load 4 or 5, leaving at least one empty chamber. This will show if you are flinching or not.

Shooting accuratley is all about good fundamentals and it takes lots of practice to incorporate those fundamentals into your shooting so that eventually you can do it automatically without much thought.

Of course, shooting with a competant instructor that can observe what you are doing right or wrong goes a long way to improving your skills.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Try loading an empty case in the gun in a random chamber. It will clearly illustrate your problem when you get a click while expecting a bang. Get a little training from a professional instructor and it's an easy fix. You might also talk to a gunsmith about smoothing up the trigger. A little easier trigger pull might make help.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by ccm View Post
    Hi,
    I have owned and shot handguns for over 45 years and have always had problems with my point of aim vs my point of impact. In the past I have always been fortunate enough to own handguns that had adjustable sights but now I have a Smith 642 that does not have adjustable sights so my POI problem is back in my life. With fixed sights my point of impact is always low and to the left. I shoot pretty good groups but not to my POA. At 12' I will be about 8" low and 4" to the left. It does not seem to vary with bullet weight or brands.

I know the problem is me and not the gun because I have experienced this problem many times over the years.

Any suggestions as to what my problem is?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Check out this site. It contains a pdf file you can print (Target Pistol Shot Analysis) for reference. It was extremly helpful to my wife: http://www.pskm.be/Pistol_Shot_Analysis.pdf

Sponsored Links