Is this gun too light

This is a discussion on Is this gun too light within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking of getting a S&W 329pd. I was wondering if anyone had one, and if they could shoot it without wincing? I wouldn’t ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this gun too light

Is this gun too light

I am thinking of getting a S&W 329pd. I was wondering if anyone had one, and if they could shoot it without wincing? I wouldn’t be carrying it all the time just when I am out in the ever increasing bear/hog/angry moose country. The gun is only 26 oz. and packs a .44 mag coming out of a 4in barrel. Should I go with the scandium frame or stick with the reliable SS. I have never had the opportunity of fire a .44 but I do have a .357 mag the weights 11 oz and that has some punch to it. Thanks for the insight.

2. Remove Ads

Me, personally, I would prefer the weight of a steel pistol in 44 mag over scandium. Less felt recoil for sure!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Assistant Administrator
    I am fine with recoil in powerful handguns with weight but not lightweights!

Even more important IMO is when the gun is for SD and then I honestly think too light is counter productive. Many might say - well, you may only have to shoot two or three shots, but practice is needed too and follow-up should not be a chore - it should be brisk and easy.

Too much pain, flip, flash etc - and I think this all helps negate the potential of hot loads. So much so that accuracy is likely to suffer too - and then what use are the hot loads!

For true mag loads in .44 SS is way I would go. Or if lightweight then .44 spl loads as max.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I was just going to post a question like this.. I just came from the gunshow yesterday.. my gf got the auto.. ANYHOW.

i saw some sweet .357 mag revos yesterday but they were so light.. i dont know the material used .. its metal, but superlightweight. i contemplated and decided against it due to its weight. Dont get me wrong the weight of this thing amazed me... but I didnt like the fact that I would probably have much more recoil than ever experienced w/ 357 mag. Not that i was afraid of it, just seemed to counterbalance the usefullness of the gun. In the chance that I miss the guy, i dont want to have to struggle for the second shot, or third, or any consecutive shots after.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Am interested in a very light revo for carry at the huntin'/shootin' club for ease of carry.

For a CCW the light weight is counter productive for the reasons mentioned above. Not so much the out & out recoil in pounds,but the recoil velocity and the bbl "whip". This makes for follow up shots that are (mostly) nonexistant. Something that I cannot double tap is completely useless for carry for me.

For our purposes(CCW) ..........this is NOT a good thing.--------

I have the 357pd which is a 41 mag lightweight and let me tell ya with full power handloads it is a hand full

I have a 638 Airweight +P .38. About the biggest caliber I find I can really control well in a lightweight frame. I can rapidly empty the 5 rounds with Gold Dots and make them all hit CM at defense ranges but just barely. In .357 and above it's going to be a steel frame for sure! Recoil it's self never bothered me, to a point it can be fun to shoot, but for defense against 2 or 4 footed problems those fast followups can sure mean alot!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by laski
    S&W 329pd ... 26 oz. and packs a .44 mag coming out of a 4in barrel. Should I go with the scandium frame or stick with the reliable SS.
    Well, you're obviously well-versed in the reasons why larger calibers are paired with heavier guns. I've got a SW 442 Airweight snubbie, myself, and even in .38SPL it can be a handful beyond 7yds.

If you're going up against moose, boar and the like, you've got one or two shots to stop the charge. I'd think you'd want the most energy possible on that target: .44 mag minimum, if not .454 casull, .480 ruger or larger. The operative phrase being: on target. Heft, barrel length, grip, strength/conditioning ... all of these play into accuracy with a larger weapon. I can handle a .44m in a ~48oz revolver with 6" barrel reasonably accurately, but I have yet to fire a .454 or .480 of any sort. Depends on what mix works for you.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thumbs up 329pd

Have had and carried one for three years.

My carry load is either Cor Bon 165gr JHP at 1300fps, or a factory custom 44 Special load, 180 JHP at 1200fps.

Recovery is fine.

I also often carry a Ti 296 or 396 both 44 special.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

I think the 44special loads would be cool in it. I'd shoot full power loads personally but I have some sort of sickness for recoil. I've never shot a gun that kicks too hard. Yea I know - Im weird.

Administrator

Thumbs up

For Angry Bear & Wild Hog & Pi$$ed Off Moose I would absolutely go with the heavier frame firearm for quicker (more effective) shot to shot recovery & carry the hottest, heaviest rounds that are available.
    While heavier to pack around...the extra weight will be comforting.

Stick with the heavier firearm in Stainless & these days there is so much "Stuff" out there that it's pretty easy to lighten up your other gear to help compenstate for the heavier firearm.

Yes, heavier with decent barrel length for sufficient energy/velocity seems the right way to go.
    NRA Instructor/RSO/Coach/Recruiter
    www.mallardspring.com
    Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, AMK, Leatherman, Condor, Maxpedition
    Forum Member 8% Discount code dccwms8

Go with the heavier gun.As said before you'll not get a second quick shot with the light gun.I have no problem at all with recoil,but muzzle jump can be a b.....Don't even consider this for personal defense.If you were to use this at night you would probably be blinded by the blast.

So the general consensus is that I should get something with some heft behind it. Thanks for the impute, Now that I am (probably) not going ultra light how about a S&W 500 with a 4in barrel? Decisions decisions

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by laski
    So the general consensus is that I should get something with some heft behind it. Thanks for the impute, Now that I am (probably) not going ultra light how about a S&W 500 with a 4in barrel? Decisions decisions
    Out of the frying pan,and into the fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links