Help in understanding how the safeties work in Springfield XD's!!!

This is a discussion on Help in understanding how the safeties work in Springfield XD's!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys. Perhaps, the questions I'm about to ask are obvious, but bear with me. To those who understand the inner workings of Springfield XD's, ...

Thread: Help in understanding how the safeties work in Springfield XD's!!!

Help in understanding how the safeties work in Springfield XD's!!!

Hey guys. Perhaps, the questions I'm about to ask are obvious, but bear with me.

To those who understand the inner workings of Springfield XD's, I'd like to ask you guys how the various safety features work. First off, as far as I know, there are 4 different "safety" features: 1) trigger safety, 2) grip safety, 3) firing-pin block 4) out-of-battery safety.

First question: When does the firing-pin block "disengage"? Obviously, the firing-pin block disengages at some point during the trigger pull motion. But when? Does it disengage when only the trigger safety and/or grip safety is depressed? Or does the firing-pin disengage in the moments right before the gun goes bang (during the actual trigger pull)?

Secondly: Depending on the first question, how does the trigger safety work exactly? When you depress only the trigger safety, what happens inside the gun? Does it disengage the firing-pin block (possibly answered in first question)? If not, what does the trigger safety do mechanically that qualifies it as a "safety"? Does depressing the trigger safety merely "unlock" the trigger so that depressing the trigger itself can disengage the firing-pin?

Third: Again, depending on the questions above... Since there is both a trigger safety and a grip safety, are they connected in any way? Is it required for the grip safety to be depressed first, in order to depress the trigger safety (vice versa)?

As you can see, I don't know much about the specifics to how everything functions in the XD, so you guys can answer these questions in whichever order makes sense. Hopefully after then, all of the redundant questions I asked will be ironed out. Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

The trigger and grip safety are independant of each other. The firing pin block is activated by the trigger bar as it moves to the rear just prior to releasing the sear. The trigger safety is a simple mechanical block of the trigger itself. Pressure on it unlocks the trigger like you said. The grip safety is also a mechanical block that keeps things from moving unless it is depressed against spring pressure.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanderful View Post
    Hey guys. Perhaps, the questions I'm about to ask are obvious, but bear with me.

To those who understand the inner workings of Springfield XD's, I'd like to ask you guys how the various safety features work. First off, as far as I know, there are 4 different "safety" features: 1) trigger safety, 2) grip safety, 3) firing-pin block 4) out-of-battery safety.

First question: When does the firing-pin block "disengage"? Obviously, the firing-pin block disengages at some point during the trigger pull motion. But when? Does it disengage when only the trigger safety and/or grip safety is depressed? Or does the firing-pin disengage in the moments right before the gun goes bang (during the actual trigger pull)?

Secondly: Depending on the first question, how does the trigger safety work exactly? When you depress only the trigger safety, what happens inside the gun? Does it disengage the firing-pin block (possibly answered in first question)? If not, what does the trigger safety do mechanically that qualifies it as a "safety"? Does depressing the trigger safety merely "unlock" the trigger so that depressing the trigger itself can disengage the firing-pin?

Third: Again, depending on the questions above... Since there is both a trigger safety and a grip safety, are they connected in any way? Is it required for the grip safety to be depressed first, in order to depress the trigger safety (vice versa)?

As you can see, I don't know much about the specifics to how everything functions in the XD, so you guys can answer these questions in whichever order makes sense. Hopefully after then, all of the redundant questions I asked will be ironed out. Thanks in advance!
    From the manual, it appears that the trigger safety is like the Glock's - is prevents the trigger from moving to the rear unless it is fully depressed. The trigger safety does not engage the firing-pin block (actually a striker block).

The firing pin block disengages when the trigger is pulled fully to the rear. A bump on the trigger bar pushes against the bottom of the firing pin safety, causing it to rise up in the slide and clear the path for the striker.

The grip safety appears to ride against the bottom of the sear, preventing it from disengaging from the striker. There is no direct mechanical connection between the grip safety and the trigger safety, and it does not matter which is depressed first.

The "out of battery safety" is simply applying a feature label to the expected behavior of the gun. Like any striker fired pistol, when the slide is moved to the rear, the striker is moved back away from the sear, preventing discharge. Also, the firing pin block is moved back away from the activating bump on the trigger bar, locking the striker.

Glocks and M&Ps have this same "out of battery safety", they just don't market it as a feature.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Thanks a ton for the answers guys. :D

I was just pretty confused as it seemed like the safeties were redundant in how they operated, but now I know that they all function independently of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Glocks and M&Ps have this same "out of battery safety", they just don't market it as a feature.

Matt
    FWIW in close quarter battle grabbing the slide and putting out of battery can render the gun useless at that point

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    FWIW in close quarter battle grabbing the slide and putting out of battery can render the gun useless at that point
    Wouldn't this apply to just about all modern auto loaders? Also, it would have to be held out of battery, no?

Quote Originally Posted by xeero View Post
    Wouldn't this apply to just about all modern auto loaders? Also, it would have to be held out of battery, no?
    yes and yes

If I remember correctly, Glocks do have a bit of a reputation as being able to fire even if they are not completely in battery......but I have obviously never tried this on mine.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

As far as Glocks being able to fire out of battery, yes. Proven by my Glock 26 a couple months ago. Your Glock may vary
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    By 'out of battery' I presume you mean pulled back from closed position, as little as a half inch? Thus grabbing a fully engaged slide (with your bare hands) and squeezing hard will not keep the slide from cycling and firing (it's just too strong). You'd have to move it back from closed and hold it there. If it slipped out and closed, the HG would fire.

If this is correct, as I suspect, all that talk of Chuck Norris wannabees grabbing the slide and preventing a semi-auto from firing is BS. It might happen by pure accident, but I seriously anyone, in the heat of fighting for a gun is going to be able to make that fine of a manipulation, grab and pull out of battery, hold it there and be able to pull off such a 'SD move' with certainty.

Links