I give up on a 9mm - Page 2

I give up on a 9mm

This is a discussion on I give up on a 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gen3 9mm. Mission accomplished....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: I give up on a 9mm

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Gen3 9mm. Mission accomplished.

VIP Member
    You can always go with the EMP, 1911 with the economy of the 9mm. Of course, the CW9 is a great choice as is the XD9sc. I've got 2 XD's and while the XD9sc may seem bigger and heavier, it really doesn't shoot that way. The ergonomics are great compared to any Glock and I have a 19 and a 26.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

You like the Gen4 grip. Have you thoroughly researched the Gen4 issues, or accepting the internet hype? It's under powered ammo on recoil springs that haven't been in new guns for quite a while, it's been a long time since I've heard of a NIB Gen4 having a hiccup. Practice with your carry ammo and you're not going to see it in combat as you will have checked before hand; I would personally be willing to carry a NIB Gen4 without getting to test the ammo and the gun as long as it wasn't federal, then I'd want to test first. If you by some drastic odds get one that needs some trouble shooting, Glock's motto is perfection and they will help you sort it out. Last time I was on Glock talk people were asking what they were doing wrong cause they couldn't get the Gen4 to malfunction the way the internet hype claims it would. If you really can't trust it, then grab one of the Gen4 40s; they don't kick that much at all, and my EDC is a G27 so if anyone were gonna feel it I'd know.

Oh and GSSF membership can bring the sticker to $425 and get you into the GSSF matches to really put the 9mm through it's paces and if you so desire sign up for the armorers course to learn how and why they work as they do for a greater understanding of why the Glock will go through hell and back and still function, just need to go through one of the approved dealers, most dealers will help you with the paperwork from the get go if they know it'll clinch the sale and make you a repeat customer.

Glock Certified Armorer

9mm's are good to go. Shoot whatever is comfortable, but I assure you, 9's have put bad guys in the ground, so don't count it out.

Oh, I am not questioning the capability of the 9mm. Just need to decide what to use for a launching pad. Will use it for comp and carry. 17 or 19? I was leaning toward a Glock anyway, but needed to hear it. Never owned one before.

If you're going to carry it everyday I'd go with the 19, excellent all rounder and will be more concealable. Competition only, winter only carry or Home defense only or Open carry only or any mix of those and I'd say go 17, but the 19 has the most options. Besides once you go Glock it'll be your first, not your only so you can go 17 down the road and have compatible magazines and holster etc.

Glock Certified Armorer

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    S&W 3913, 5906, Kahr K9 Elite, .....
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I went with the Ruger LC9 and I'm sad to say I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. How does the CW9 shoot? I'm very accurate with my XDm-9mm 3.8, but it's a bit much to carry in the Summer.

The Kahr is a bit too high-end for our range to carry it as a rentable handgun. I hear the trigger pull is long and has a second-stage let off thing. The trigger on the LC9 is just no fun to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    The new Gen 4s have spring issues, so you hear. I have not tasted the Kool Aid as of yet. M&Ps can throw issues (mine is back at Smith). Cannot pony up for a 226 right now, and am unsure of the 2022. XDs seem huge, blocky. Cannot find HKs around here, and USP grips are huge anyway. Should I give up on finding a decent 9 and get the obligatory 1911? I wanted a 9 for economy. I do like the feel of the Gen 4s, but I also like the feel of the 2022 SIG. Tell me and sell me.
    forget the glocks and consider a steyr, a steyr is what a glock should have evolved into, glock 2.0
    the s9-a1 is a bit larger than a g26
    the m9-a1 is a bit larger than a g 19

these are great guns designed by a former glock engineer.

I carry an xdm 40 compact iwb and have had no issues with comfort.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I have a Glock 19 Gen 4, and have had no problems, zero malfunctions of any kind...also, personally I like the grip better.

You can add walther to the list of 9mm firearms to look into. The PPS, p99, and PPQ are all quality firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    I went with the Ruger LC9 and I'm sad to say I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it. How does the CW9 shoot? I'm very accurate with my XDm-9mm 3.8, but it's a bit much to carry in the Summer.

The Kahr is a bit too high-end for our range to carry it as a rentable handgun. I hear the trigger pull is long and has a second-stage let off thing. The trigger on the LC9 is just no fun to shoot.
    - Kahr's triggers are light years better than the Ruger LCP and LC9. I own the LCP and the P380 and there is no question that it is easier to be accurate with the P380. The LCP's trigger takes a lot more practice to become proficient with. The same goes for the LC9 compared to the PM9/CM9.

VIP Member
    Well, reliability comes at a cost and a good quality 1911 is likely better in that regard. Much like you, I can't or won't buy anything super expensive so I just carry an all-steel snub.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Get a Gen 3 G19. a lot of gun stores don't carry what I want. If you want an H&K have them order one. the grips may be a little big the the 45s but they are not on the 9's and 40's. If you think the XD is big and blocky the Sig 226 is going to be worse.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links