Taurus 709 Slim...thoughts, reviews, etc?

This is a discussion on Taurus 709 Slim...thoughts, reviews, etc? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like how easily it'll be to conceal without going to a super tiny .380 that I don't think would be large enough to shoot ...

Thread: Taurus 709 Slim...thoughts, reviews, etc?

I like how easily it'll be to conceal without going to a super tiny .380 that I don't think would be large enough to shoot accurately. But I've heard mixed reviews about Taurus as a whole...I can get a great deal on the Taurus though which is why I'm considering it. I like how it feels in my hand although I haven't shot one.

BTW My only other CCW is a full size M&P .40 which will work for most days, but I'd like something a little smaller and preferablly 9mm.
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

I own one. I was also drawn in by the size of the 709 for a carry piece. I have not had one issue with the gun. Some friends have had FTF and FTE with my gun at the range which I have investigated and thrashed 1000+ rounds through the Firearm trying to recreate with no issues. The trigger take up is on the long side with moderate stacking but a super short reset. With full bore loads it can be a handful but not uncomfortable to shoot like the PF9 is.
    In short I am happy with the gun and have never had an issue.
    If I were spending the money over again now I would probably end up with a Ruger LC9 instead.

Hope this helps

I owned one but it has since been sold. After Taurus replaced the extractor it ran fine but I just can't trust a gun that needed a repair in the first month. I know of several people on this board that have them and have had no issues with them.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I had one (709) and was getting bulged cases.
    I sent it back, waited and it was returned with a barrel that was not numbered to match like the original, just blank; having a blank barrel is just fine IF that is how the pistol was made originally.
    If all I was getting was a replacement barrel, they could have just shipped me one.
    In combination with a trigger that broke way back, the barrel was the deciding factor in me trading it.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

VIP Member
    I had one, really wanted to like it, but......the trigger did not work properly. It would go from single action pull to double action for no reason. Might happen after 2 or 3 rounds, or you could go several magazines before it would do it. Sent it back to Taurus, it came back with the paperwork only saying "Repaired". Back to the range and it wqas still doing the same thing. Ended up selling it. I want a constant trigger on my gun, not one that is going to be light and short on one shot, then long and heavy on the next.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

los
    My 709 was extremely reliable throughout it's tenure as my primary CCW. It ranks among the softest shooting 9s I've carried.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    I have an early one and have close to 3500 problem free rounds through mine. Very reliable and very accurate. Great gun !!! I hope this helps. God Bless

I've had mine for about 3 years and have 1800 flawless trouble free rounds through it. It is easy to carry and fun to shoot. It has exceeded my expectations and it is one (out of my 16) that I will not part with.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I held one at a gun shop and I honestly found it too thin in the grip. And I do not have big hands.

Plus, I hate to be like this but, it's a Taurus, so i won't buy one no matter what. I have just heard too many horror stories about their quality control during the last decade or so.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I held one a few weeks ago. Real nice. I was looking at a LCP or a PF9 bu this kills both of them as far as how good it feels in the hand. Just remember its also bigger than both of them esp the PF9. I am looking for a belly gun for when I am jogging and stuff this might fit the bill if it is light enough on the waist.
    NYS Unrestricted
    PA CCP
    FL CCP
    Reading, Learning, Doing

I have a friend that likes his. He doesn't put the kind of rounds through it as people do here, but he said it hes been nothing but reliable.

Taurus leaves me torn. The internet is nothing but horror stories. To contrast that, everyone I know personally loves theirs.

Thumbs up

I have had my 709 since July 2009, an early model. Initially, it had severe failure to eject issues. I sent it back to Taurus for warranty work. I had good results with Taurus CS. Since its return, I have had no problems with it. I have put about 200 rounds downrange subsequently. I installed a CT Lasergrip on it, and run Rem GS 124gr through it. I keep it in my car. I have come to appreciate it now for its reliability and size.

YMMV,
    boomer
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sponsor
    My wife's 709 has been reliable through 300+ rounds. It was shooting low(8" @ 21') when we first got it. It went back to Taurus for a shorter front sight post with a turnaround of less than 5 days. Still low but better. After putting enough rounds through it to ensure that it was the pistol and not my technique, I called Taurus's CS and requested that they send me the shortest front sight available. It took several weeks to arrive but it did arrive. After installing it the pistol shoots approx. 3" low at 21'. This may be me. I am not a pin point marksman with any pistol. I do think it is still the pistol as I do get consistent groups(large groups but groups) about 3" below POA.

My wife had a problem hitting the mag release while shooting at first but was able to easily retrain her thumb position to avoid it. I never experienced this.

The distance from the rear of the grip to the trigger at the break point is to short for comfort for me. It's not a big deal but it is annoying. This is the only reason that I have bought one for myself.

All in all I'd have to give both the pistol and Taurus' customer service a thumbs up.

This is my only experience with Taurus.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I took my car to a show today and carried my PT709 IWB at 3 oclock position in shorts and a white t-shirt that was not baggy. A lot of bending, reaching, stooping, etc. cleaning the car and reaching into the cooler on top. My buddy knew I was carrying but couldn't see it, and he asked me what I was carrying today. I almost forgot I was carrying and had to check every now and then just to reassure myself that it was still there. It really is a great carry piece for summer clothes and activities.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Sponsored Links