Anybody carrying a 3" S&W 686?

This is a discussion on Anybody carrying a 3" S&W 686? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking for a 357 revolver for a while and have settled on a 686 3" or Ruger GP-100 in 3" barrel, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Anybody carrying a 3" S&W 686?

I have been looking for a 357 revolver for a while and have settled on a 686 3" or Ruger GP-100 in 3" barrel, I would like to conceal carry it at times, so I would be interested in how you carry your and in what holster. I will carry at appendix or at 3:30-4:00.

I also, would like your opinion on carrying a 3" or 4" barrel, is there that much difference in carrying or accuracy?

I carry my 2.5" 686+ in a FIST #12 holster at 4 O'Clock. I also have a 3" S&W Model 10 carried in the same position. There are many on this board who have more knowledge than I with regard to ballistics but a previous poster once stated that "a 3" revolver carries like a 2" and shoots like a 4". I don't disagree. The 3" 686 and the 3" GP100 are both excellent choices in my opinion.
    scgunlover1 likes this.

I carried a 2.5in 686 for years in a Bianchi #3 Pistol Pocket at 4o'clock,carried well. The hammer spur dug into my belly when I appendix carried. The gp100 in 3in has fixed sights which might be better for CC. As for the difference between 3 and 4 inch; it really depends on how you carry, both guns are kinda big in the 4in range. I still carry a 4in Service Six on occasion with no problems, but it isn't as bulky. usually its a DAO sp101 appendix carry.

From the looks of your avatar, you aren't afraid of using a "Clip Draw". I have one on my 3" GP100. With the Compact Ruger Grips, it actually carries really well IWB at 3-4 o'clock. I recently bought a IWB Kydex Holster from PJ Holsters that is specifically designed for a 3" GP. It is still en route. I expect it to show up either today or Monday. Don't have a picture of the Universal Clip Draw on the gun, but here is a pic with the compact ruger grips on it.

The Clip-draw works great on my S&W 642.

I believe that a 3" is the perfect bbl length for a cc magnum revolver. The longer bbl provides a longer sight plane and better velocity than a 2", yet is not so long to be cumbersome or uncomfortable.

I carry a 3" GP100 at 3 o'clock in a Jeff Hays OWB rig with a custom speed loader pouch. It is comfortable, easy to conceal and fast.
    Attached Images
    GhostMaker likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I've got the 3" GP100 on my wish list. They seem to be hard to find, at least in my neck of the woods. I prefer the old style compact grip with the wood panels over the Hogue Monogrip that they are equipping them with now. I even put a set on my 4" GP100 for a better fit for my hand.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I carry a 65 S&W with a 4" barrel at 3-4 oclock. Works fine for me, only problem I ever had was when i had kidney stones. As to accuracy and such it is better, most ammo was designed for at least a 4" barrel, there are some new ammo types designed for a 2" barrel.

Still a 2-4" barrel should do ya for most anything. Anything longer is gonna be harder to carry, without some fancy holsters.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    696+ 2 1/2" iwb....8" plates at 25 yds...good enough...
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Love my 686

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I have been looking for a 357 revolver for a while and have settled on a 686 3" or Ruger GP-100 in 3" barrel, I would like to conceal carry it at times, so I would be interested in how you carry your and in what holster. I will carry at appendix or at 3:30-4:00.

I lso, would like your opinion on carrying a 3" or 4" barrel, is there that much difference in carrying or accuracy?
    I have a 686 3 inch as seen in pic it handles well, shots great and the weight makes shooting magnum loads easy. I changed out the talo grips for hogue grips and shoot lots of 38 special and 357 through it. As far a CCW I carry the gun and with suspenders you dont know its there, without it can be weighty. Enjoy

gun 013.jpg

686 seven shot more than intimidating and effective in case of emergency I would put it up against a jamomatic any day

Either revolver you mentioned would be a great shooter

Senior Member Array wheelyfun101's Avatar
    Plenty of great holster makers will make you something to carry that Ruger in....
    My big advice would be to make sure that you spend the money for a "gun" belt. The Beltman is who I use, and have been wearing the same belt daily since 2006.....the belt still looks brand new!
    For years I carried without a "dedicated" gun belt, and man, I did not understand what I was missing until I bought a real gun belt.

That heavy revolver will only take a few weeks until you get used to carrying it. I love seeing revolver carry for more and more people!
    GhostMaker likes this.

Those are both great revolvers. I have a 3" model 13 and think the 3" revolvers balance the best in a K/L frame.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Yes, I carry a 686, 3" in a Lobo Leather enhanced pancake holster with a thumb break
    Lobo Gun Leather - ENHANCED PANCAKE STYLE HOLSTER
    Fantastic holster, extremely comfortable that they make in a unique way so there's only one layer of leather beneath the belt instead of a double layer like other holsters. You can really see this in the second to the bottom photo.
    "If there is trouble, I stay here to help you. For your father -- for your father."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links