Ruger LC9 Review - and why I sold it

This is a discussion on Ruger LC9 Review - and why I sold it within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry to hear the LC9 did not work out for you. I bought one earlier this year and had to send it back after the ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Ruger LC9 Review - and why I sold it

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Sorry to hear the LC9 did not work out for you. I bought one earlier this year and had to send it back after the 1st range session. Ruger repaired it and had it back to me in 2 weeks.

I'll admit the first time I shot it I was all over the target. I carry Glocks so I'm more used to shooting lighter triggers on striker fired guns. Like some others have said here, it took some time to get used to the long double action trigger.

I have since become very comfortable with the LC9 and have carried it almost exclusively as my pocket pistola during the hot summer weather. I added a small Hogue slip-on grip that made a huge difference in how the gun feels...it also helps to cushion some of the recoil. Mine is staying!
    Proud NRA member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    [/B]

Can you elaborate on this statement about Bill Ruger? I do not know him personally, but I find it hard to believe Mr. Ruger would detest gun owners...the very people that made him and his company millions!
    I'm not aware of Mr.Ruger's detest. I would like to see feedback on this as well. FWIW, I'm more comfortable with Mr. Ruger than I am with Mr. Moon.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by m287452 View Post
    Ok, first off, this is just my experience with the LC9, so if you own one, if you like it and it works for you, please don't take it personally and I wish you the best of luck with it.

Here is my view on the LC9:

- Reliability - I put about 400 rounds through mine and it reliably fed everything I put in it, from FMJ's to +P JHP's to lead. So that's a plus. When I carried the LC9 I always felt secure that it would go bang.

- Size/Weight - not the smallest or lightest 9mm out there (e.g. compared to the PM9 for example) but very thin and easy to carry nevertheless. It makes for a gun you can carry all day. I carried mine IWB at 1 o'clock or 3 o'clock depending on the activity.

- Sights - the gun has good sights and if you can maintain sight alignment through the long trigger pull, it is an accurate gun.

- Safety - a lot of people don't like this about the LC9, but it didn't bother me. I suppose it you are too nervous to flick the safety off when you need to use your gun, you're probably too nervous to hit anything with it. So the problem is not with the safety, at least not for me. And you can always leave the safety off.

- Ergonomics - this is where I had problems with the gun. I have average size hands but I found the grip and the trigger reach way too small for me. This combined with a heavy, mushy trigger made for difficulties maintaining sight alignment, so even after 400 rounds I was not able to reliably get my personal minimum standard of 3" groups standing at 25 feet. The trigger itself was very long and the break was too far back for me, and it felt heavy and mushy. Due to this and the short reach I felt like I was pinching the trigger to make it break - what I mean is it felt like pinching something between my thumb and forefinger. After a few magazines my finger and hand would get tight and achy. I contacted Ruger and they told me this is the way it's supposed to be and there is nothing they could do about it. Same with the local gunsmith who quoted liability reasons for not wanting to adjust the trigger at all.

It is interesting to note that the range gun I tested before deciding on buying one felt better and I was more accurate with it. Also I am very accurate (for me) with a S&W revolver in DA. I don't get how people can compare the trigger on the LC9 with a S&W revolver. Any decent revolver will have a smoother and crisper trigger than the LC9 - not to mention the proper reach distance. But this is just my opinion.

So in conclusion I had to sell the gun because I felt I could not reliably defend myself with it if the time ever came. Now I am back to carrying my PPK, with which I am very accurate, until I can willy up and fork over $800 for a MK9 - which is what I should have done in the first place. At least the $250 I got back for the LC9 can go towards it.

Go shoot the LC9 and try out for yourself. But beware that what you test at the range may not be exactly what you get in the box. On the other hand, if you already own one and it works for you, first off I am jealous, and I wish you the best with it.
    I agree 100% . I went through the same thing with my lc9 so I too traded it for a glock 17 for my wife and I also gave it up for 250 . I ended up getting a kahr k40 but now that the wife hasher glock broke in I am starting to enjoy shooting it so I will be buying yet another gun which will b a glock 19 to add to the ten handguns I already own.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    [/B]

Can you elaborate on this statement about Bill Ruger? I do not know him personally, but I find it hard to believe Mr. Ruger would detest gun owners...the very people that made him and his company millions!
    If you have been a shooter for any number of years you know that Bill Ruger assisted in writing the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban. He not only worked with the gun grabbers in congress but sold his soul to them so that his Mini-14 rifle would be exempt from the law. This, and that fact that he publicly stated that no one other than military or law enforcement should have access to high capacity magazines. If you need any further info on why he was no friend to gun owners, just Google him. -

Quote Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
    If you have been a shooter for any number of years you know that Bill Ruger assisted in writing the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban. He not only worked with the gun grabbers in congress but sold his soul to them so that his Mini-14 rifle would be exempt from the law. This, and that fact that he publicly stated that no one other than military or law enforcement should have access to high capacity magazines. If you need any further info on why he was no friend to gun owners, just Google him. -
    I'm new to guns so this is helpful for me. Thanks for the followup.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    I'm new to guns so this is helpful for me. Thanks for the followup.
    Also if you have been a shooter fro a number of years you would know that Bill Ruger retired from ruger in 200o and died in 2002. A decade ago. Also Ruger didn't write anything nor did he help with anything All he did was send a letter to every congressman that read:

"The best way to address the firepower concern is therefore not to try to outlaw or license many millions of older and perfectly legitimate firearms (which would be a licensing effort of staggering proportions) but to prohibit the possession of high capacity magazines. By a simple, complete and unequivocal ban on large capacity magazines, all the difficulty of defining 'assault rifle' and 'semi-automatic rifles' is eliminated. The large capacity magazine itself, separate or attached to the firearm, becomes the prohibited item. A single amendment to Federal firearms laws could effectively implement these objectives."

His son took over in 2000 until about 2006. mike Fifer took over after that, no more Ruger family influence and pretty much changed the face of the company. So all the people who "hate" Bill Ruger..... have a legitimate beef due to what I call his unacceptable compromise.....

A Lemon I hope?

I purchased and LC9several weeks ago, have shot about 150 rounds and here is my expereince:

NEGATIVE:
    (1) Back sight came loose second time at range...after a while identified the problem and fixed it.
    (2) The slide stop does not work. After about 150 rounds the slide stop will sometimes release and more often will not release the action under any circumstance regrdless of how hard you may push.
    (3) Second time I went to clean the gun the take down plate that you have to slide down to release the pin so that you can disassemble the gun would no longer release and so I cannot diassemble the gun to clean it.

POSITIVE:
    (1) accurate
    (2) great size
    (3) dependable thus far with no misfires

Will keep this thread posted as to my experience with Ruger on the send back. I will be very disspointed if they make me pay the $60 plus dollars shipping for a brand new gun that is a lemon out of the box?

Folks, I found this on Rugers web site ruger.jpg

My sense is that if Ruger's current management is attempting to raise $1,000,000 for the NRA their philosophy has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Also if you have been a shooter fro a number of years you would know that Bill Ruger retired from ruger in 200o and died in 2002. A decade ago. Also Ruger didn't write anything nor did he help with anything All he did was send a letter to every congressman that read:

"The best way to address the firepower concern is therefore not to try to outlaw or license many millions of older and perfectly legitimate firearms (which would be a licensing effort of staggering proportions) but to prohibit the possession of high capacity magazines. By a simple, complete and unequivocal ban on large capacity magazines, all the difficulty of defining 'assault rifle' and 'semi-automatic rifles' is eliminated. The large capacity magazine itself, separate or attached to the firearm, becomes the prohibited item. A single amendment to Federal firearms laws could effectively implement these objectives."

His son took over in 2000 until about 2006. mike Fifer took over after that, no more Ruger family influence and pretty much changed the face of the company. So all the people who "hate" Bill Ruger..... have a legitimate beef due to what I call his unacceptable compromise.....
    Really? If he didn't make a back-door deal with Congress then why was his Mini-14 exempted from the law? Also - why wouldn't he allow non military/LEO to purchase hi-cap mags for the mini? He was no friend to gun owners and that is a fact.

VIP Member
    I have an LC9 and while I agree with many of the complaints about the gun, I do have some comments of my own. The trigger is definitely improved if the magazine disconnect is removed. I never touch the external safety. I never used the external safeties on any of the DA/SA autos I've used over the years, except when it also acted as a decocker. Just because the safety is there, it doesn't mean you have to use it. The grip is skinny and it adds to the discomforting feel of the gun to me and it sounds like many others. I typically add a couple of wraps of rescue tape to most of my grips. The LC9 called for more than a few to improve the grip. The LC9 does what it's intended purpose is as far as I can see. I see it as a pocket gun with intended range to be 12 ft or less. Like the LCP, 442/642 and many others, an arms reach gun.

As for accuracy, I don't have any personal standard for paper punching accuracy. For defensive pistols, 3" or 4" groups at 10-20 yds. are of no concern to me. I never had time to get into the proper stance and carefully regulate the trigger to produce a small tight group, when someone was shooting, or pointing, a gun at me. I consider accuracy to be putting 5 or 6 shots in a 9" paper plate at 7yds (20ft) max, from a 'ready position' in 2 seconds or less.

Overall, I'm still up in the air about the LC9. It has it's flaws, it has good points and like all guns it has it's idiosyncrasies. I've shot worse and I've shot a lot better, but for me, right now, it fills a gap in my arsenal.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    OMG - ditto, ditto, ditto!

- Sights - the gun has good sights and if you can maintain sight alignment through the long trigger pull, it is an accurate gun.

Mag release safety - ***? Did not know when I got mine - it's a Cali-legal. WHY? So LEOs can assume if no mag in the well the gun is a (small) brick not a firearm. If you do a tactical mag change and one is still in the chamber and you have a BG pop up you can't turn and shoot him. OTOH, if you're wrestling for a gun (Lima), and can drop the Mag the BG can't shoot you, though he could smack you in the temple with it, lol.

I tried the trigger on the CM9 - holy-moly - it's nice. It's got a metal guide rod - sweet. The LC9 muzzle flip and long pull trigger are a beyotch to learn. Not all SD gun owners can become 10-ring shooters. Think about it guys and gals. If I have to send 500-1000 rounds through the gun at $15/50 rounds, that's $300 bucks.

Anyway, good thread. Boo - Ruger.

$.02

Update

Quote Originally Posted by Brian123 View Post
    I purchased and LC9several weeks ago, have shot about 150 rounds and here is my expereince:
    NEGATIVE:
    (1) Back sight came loose second time at range...after a while identified the problem and fixed it.
    (2) The slide stop does not work. After about 150 rounds the slide stop will sometimes release and more often will not release the action under any circumstance regrdless of how hard you may push. (update-slide stop and not slide release - so not a problem but the way it is designed to work)
    (3) Second time I went to clean the gun the take down plate that you have to slide down to release the pin so that you can disassemble the gun would no longer release and so I cannot diassemble the gun to clean it.
    POSITIVE:
    (1) accurate
    (2) great size
    (3) dependable thus far with no misfires
    Will keep this thread posted as to my experience with Ruger on the send back. I will be very disspointed if they make me pay the $60 plus dollars shipping for a brand new gun that is a lemon out of the box?
    UPDATE: Called Ruger today and they provided next day shipping label. Customer service response was very positive...will continue to update. #2 Negative -- does not apply since it is a slide stop and not slide release.
    Last edited by Brian123; August 24th, 2011 at 10:23 PM.

One thing to add that is kinda off target, but I saw it mentioned. Not every gun is for everyone, but if you want to buy a gun from a company that will stand behind it's product 100% with, hands down, the best customer service in the industry, buy a RUGER! they will go above and beyond what any, and from experience I mean ANY, gun company will do to keep their customers happy and loyal. If you have a problem on a gun you bought 20 years ago they will treat your problem like you bought it yesterday. While not all ruger models are for everyone, I have not met one person who didn't wish that all manufacturers customer service depts were the same as Rugers!
    Philly Boy and mauser1959 like this.

eb
    I sold my LC9 as well, and had about the same experience as the OP. The gun was completely reliable through about 500 rounds of varied ammo. It was the trigger that ultimately led me to get rid of it. I never could get a level of accuracy that I felt was sufficient for a self defense weapon. I am a Ruger fan, but that gun just wasn't for me.
    Philly Boy likes this.

'As for accuracy, I don't have any personal standard for paper punching accuracy. For defensive pistols, 3" or 4" groups at 10-20 yds. are of no concern to me. I never had time to get into the proper stance and carefully regulate the trigger to produce a small tight group, when someone was shooting, or pointing, a gun at me. I consider accuracy to be putting 5 or 6 shots in a 9" paper plate at 7yds (20ft) max, from a 'ready position' in 2 seconds or less."

I absolutely agree. I know this may seem like heresy to many on this board, but for purely defensive shooting, accuracy, or more properly, precision, is an overvalued virtue. Depending on whose stats you read, the typical gunfight (over 80%) takes place within less than ten feet. (See Mann, "Modern Day Gunslinger") i think we sometimes confuse precision with accuracy. For defensive shooting, precision is not the primary virtue, accuracy is. By precision I am referring to that nice tight group at 10 to 20 yards. Combat accuracy is sometimes defined as an eight inch "group" at 21 feet. I have numerous handguns that I use for precision/competition shooting. My CCW is designed to stop the immediate close quarters threat. In my opinion, if you are shooting a two to three inch group at say 7 yards, you are shooting too slowly and need to work on your speed. Flame suit on.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links