Ruger LC9 Review - and why I sold it - Page 3

Ruger LC9 Review - and why I sold it

This is a discussion on Ruger LC9 Review - and why I sold it within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The bottom line is if I'm not "feeling" any particular gun, for any particular reason whatsoever... then I have no business carrying it. The LC9 ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Ruger LC9 Review - and why I sold it

eb
    The bottom line is if I'm not "feeling" any particular gun, for any particular reason whatsoever... then I have no business carrying it. The LC9 fell into this category for me. The mag disconnect also bothered me, and I wasn't willing to take the thing apart to defeat it. Easier to just get a different gun (bought an LCR for carry instead).
    paching likes this.

I recently purchased an LC9 for my EDC choice. It suits my needs perfectly for what it's intended to do. I feel comfortable carrying it safely, all the time. And it's very accurate for it's intended purpose. If I want a nice tight group I can do so by taking my time aiming at paper; but in the real world having 8 rounds of 9mm in small, easy to conceal, ergonomically pleasant (I have big hands too) and extremely functional firearm like the LC9 is what I needed. YMMV, but it works for me.
    HK: P30 v3
    S&W: M&P Shield 9mm, M&P 15 Sport
    Glock: G20 SF

I have a LC9 for about two months with about 500 rounds thru it. First piece of surgery on the LC9 was removal of magazine safety which greatly improved trigger feel. The long trigger pull cannot be fixed I know, but my accuracy with the little 9mm has improved.

I recently sold a SIG P250-9 Sun Compact because I didn't like the long trigger pull or the size of the handgun..

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    The LC9 is a nice gun, but just my opinion, what do you get when you take out the safety and magazine disconnect from an LC9, and save about $100 in the process ????..................... Keltec PF9 God Bless
    Philly Boy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    'As for accuracy, I don't have any personal standard for paper punching accuracy. For defensive pistols, 3" or 4" groups at 10-20 yds. are of no concern to me. I never had time to get into the proper stance and carefully regulate the trigger to produce a small tight group, when someone was shooting, or pointing, a gun at me. I consider accuracy to be putting 5 or 6 shots in a 9" paper plate at 7yds (20ft) max, from a 'ready position' in 2 seconds or less."

I absolutely agree. I know this may seem like heresy to many on this board, but for purely defensive shooting, accuracy, or more properly, precision, is an overvalued virtue. Depending on whose stats you read, the typical gunfight (over 80%) takes place within less than ten feet. (See Mann, "Modern Day Gunslinger") i think we sometimes confuse precision with accuracy. For defensive shooting, precision is not the primary virtue, accuracy is. By precision I am referring to that nice tight group at 10 to 20 yards. Combat accuracy is sometimes defined as an eight inch "group" at 21 feet. I have numerous handguns that I use for precision/competition shooting. My CCW is designed to stop the immediate close quarters threat. In my opinion, if you are shooting a two to three inch group at say 7 yards, you are shooting too slowly and need to work on your speed. Flame suit on.
    I agree with you, when I practice with my carry pistols I am usually shooting at paper plates @ 21' and if I am on the plate, I am happy. Lay a plate on your chest and you will see that it shows plenty of accuracy for defensive work. YMMV

OP,
    I see you are looking at getting a MK9, a very nice gun but a little heavy for the size, not to mention the price. Have you considered the new Kahr CM9? much lighter for carry and affordable. I bought one the first day they were released for sale and I am very happy with it.

Re. the Ruger comments: I had a problem with a new SP101 in .327 mag., sent it in to Ruger and had it back in less than ten days! The gun is fine and I have no complaints with their products( may want to take a look at a LC9 and see how it feels in my hand. Might also wait for the new Beretta Nano).
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by BeardogV1 View Post
    I agree with you, when I practice with my carry pistols I am usually shooting at paper plates @ 21' and if I am on the plate, I am happy. Lay a plate on your chest and you will see that it shows plenty of accuracy for defensive work. YMMV

OP,
    I see you are looking at getting a MK9, a very nice gun but a little heavy for the size, not to mention the price. Have you considered the new Kahr CM9? much lighter for carry and affordable. I bought one the first day they were released for sale and I am very happy with it.
    Good point, and I understand that accuracy is relative when you are talking about self-defense situations, but if I can't be accurate with a gun when I do take my time at the range, which was the case with the LC9, that means I probably will be very inaccurate with it in a high-stress situation. I would rather carry a gun that fits me more naturally and with which hitting the target comes more easily.

I was looking for a compact, lightweight 9mm for concealed carry. LC9 is, in my opinion, a very ergonomic handgun. Liked the feel of the gun in my hand, plus size and weight. Took it to the range and in the first 50 rounds began having light strike problems. One in three rounds not firing. From what I've read, this is not uncommon. Contacted Ruger, and when I told them I had been shooting Sellier Bellot, they said the problem was the primer in the ammunition, but sent me a UPS shipping label to return the gun to the factory to have them go through it. (The manual says to use American manufactured ammunition only.) I am a little nervous now about depending on the LC9 for personal protection, regardless of what the problem may turn out to be.
    Bottom line, I returned to the gun shop and purchased a Glock 23. No comparison in workmanship. The LC9 is a pea shooter by comparison. Evaluated both the Glock 19 and 23. Advantage to 19 is cheaper 9mm ammunition. For the firepower, went with the 23. May or may not keep the LC9, but for handgun to carry....going with Glock.

I have a few handguns including a Glock 26 that has been my EDC for a few years now. I bought the LC9 to replace an LCP as a grab-n-go carry gun. I liked the the idea of a 9mm LCP and I like the Ruger brand so I went with it. I am not a fan of the mag disconnect or external safety but I figured I could live with them. The first time I took the gun to the range I couldn't even hit the cardboard let alone the target. I prolly put 200 rounds through it and had no idea where I was hitting at 15 feet. After some time I found that I was hitting low and very left. The main thing was the trigger, in a word, it SUCKED. Everyone who shot it said the same thing including my wife (an avid shooter) and my bud who was along with us that day. Everybody HATED the really long grainy, gritty pull with a huge hard spot at the end that made it impossible to shoot accurately. Just for grins I fired up my G26 and my M&P .40 and was immediately putting up 2"-3" groups right on target. After I got it home I decided to disassemble the gun and give it a thorough cleaning. I looked up the instructions to remove the mag disconnect and I did that while I had it down. I also did my best to clean out the firing pin channel and make sure everything was clean and then lubed correctly. While I was there I removed the thumb safety as well, very simple and takes only a few minutes to remove/install. So I ended up with the LC9 that I wanted - i.e. no mag disconnect and no manual safety. Trouble was I still wasn't sure I could shoot it. While I was working on it I also noticed that the rear slide was way over to the left, even hanging off of the left side of the slide. I decided to gently loosen the hold down screw and drift the slide back towards the middle a little bit. I did all that and now I was really nervous about if I could shoot the gun or not. The next day I had to take it to the range to see what the deal was and to my pleasant surprise the trigger was MUCH smoother and even all the way back to the break and not only that but the point of aim was now much better. It shoots right where I put the sights only a tad low at 15' and right on the money at 5'. I put another 300 or so rounds through it and the more I shot it the better I got with it and the more confident I felt. I now have no problem with it as my EDC. I know it will go bang and I know how to shoot it and where it will hit. For what it is, it is actually very accurate, although I can still shoot the Glock into tighter groups. But really who cares? When it's time to draw I doubt any of that will come into play anyway, it's a point and shoot situation and I want something that I know will go bang until the slide locks open and put most of those rounds where it counts. Like the LCP, this is not a target gun or a plinker. It is plenty accurate, don't get me wrong but do expect to put some time in with it. What it really is is a small, lightweight, 9mm semi-auto that is reliable, robust and comfortable to carry and will save your a$$ when you need it to. But like all weapons, you get out what you put in. -Peace

Well, first off I'm all for your decision to sell your LC9. If you don't feel comfortable with a hand gun you shouldn't keep it. I personally own one and really like it. I had to send it back to Ruger once but it's great now and I've put over 700 rounds through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    'As for accuracy, I don't have any personal standard for paper punching accuracy. For defensive pistols, 3" or 4" groups at 10-20 yds. are of no concern to me. I never had time to get into the proper stance and carefully regulate the trigger to produce a small tight group, when someone was shooting, or pointing, a gun at me. I consider accuracy to be putting 5 or 6 shots in a 9" paper plate at 7yds (20ft) max, from a 'ready position' in 2 seconds or less."

I absolutely agree. I know this may seem like heresy to many on this board, but for purely defensive shooting, accuracy, or more properly, precision, is an overvalued virtue. Depending on whose stats you read, the typical gunfight (over 80%) takes place within less than ten feet. (See Mann, "Modern Day Gunslinger") i think we sometimes confuse precision with accuracy. For defensive shooting, precision is not the primary virtue, accuracy is. By precision I am referring to that nice tight group at 10 to 20 yards. Combat accuracy is sometimes defined as an eight inch "group" at 21 feet. I have numerous handguns that I use for precision/competition shooting. My CCW is designed to stop the immediate close quarters threat. In my opinion, if you are shooting a two to three inch group at say 7 yards, you are shooting too slowly and need to work on your speed. Flame suit on.
    I agree 100%. I really think people spend way too much time on precision. It's about tactics. I don't want to be precise, I want to be fast and efficient.
    BadgerJ likes this.

One of the top considerations in choosing a handgun is choosing one that fits your hand.

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    I had an LC9 for a couple of months. The trigger wasn't bad, it was horrible. I am a fairly good shot with a handgun, but that pistol was horrible for me. It had to be a combination of my large hands, the guns horrible trigger and the ergonomics of the grip combined that made me and that gun mix like oil and water.

I love my LCP... and I had high hopes for my LC9... but I couldn't get past the trigger. That, and I wish it wasn't all lawyered up and was as simple mechanically as my LCP.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Thought I'd update my previous post in this thread. About 150 rounds later (300 total) I think I finally got the hang of the LC9. I'm not shooting consistently low any longer and today put 4 magazines into the center of the A section of an IDPA target from about 30 feet. Think I'll keep it for a BUG after all, I just needed more practice and patience.
    Ruger SR9, SR9c, Mark III, SP101 .357, New Vaquero .357, Fusion 1911 Elite .45acp

I would have to agree with the OP in as much as, I had my heart almost set on an LC9 but when I went and actually held one I really thought the grip was too small and while I have average size hands as well and find the trigger reach on many pistols to be just a hair too long for me (especially on Sigs) the trigger reach in the LC9 was too short for me to be comfortable with.

I rented one and ran 200 rounds through it just to see if I was able to shoot it accurately despite these concerns and in the end, I was not able to shoot the gun well. So, I went with a Kahr CW9 and I have been extremely happy with that gun. It fits me much better and as a result I am able to shoot it much more accurately.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links