Ruger LC9 Review - and why I sold it

This is a discussion on Ruger LC9 Review - and why I sold it within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My experience was similar enough to the OP's that I will just hit the highlights. I couldn't shoot the gun well at all. I do ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Ruger LC9 Review - and why I sold it

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    My experience was similar enough to the OP's that I will just hit the highlights.

I couldn't shoot the gun well at all. I do fine with my Glocks, acceptable (but barely) with the LCP, almost as well as the Glocks with the P238, really well with my BlackHawk .45 and my Single Sixes, really well with the 6" 686 and the 4" GP100, but not the LC9. The grip was too small, the trigger pull was long enough to make me think of packing a lunch and pretty much like dragging a rake across a skating rink waiting for it to grab on to something, maybe, if I got lucky. In the contest for worst trigger I've ever experienced.

A nit but a constant irritation was the butt ugly loaded chamber indicator. That thing is about as ugly a design feature as i've ever seen. The ones on my Glocks are just as effective and a heck of a lot less ugly. I bought it knowing about it, but I never liked it.

The gun never failed to fire and never gagged on any ammo I put in it, but that wasn't enough. I needed to be able to shoot it accurately and after close to 500 rounds I gave up on that and sold it taking a big loss on it. I really regret trading my PPK/S in on it - the PPK/S was a much better gun.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

2. Remove Ads

"Please show me the definition of "self defense distances". Oh, wait...you cannot, except for what your opinion may be."

You are absolutely correct. To my knowledge there is no specific legal range that is a "self defense" range. MitchellCT may be better able to comment here. However, not to worry. I am sure that a judge or jury will be happy to tell you what range is "legal" in any particular case you find yourself involved in. You may find the longer the range the less likely they will consider the danger to the CC holder to really be all that imminent, justifying the use of deadly force. But hey, as you say, this is just my opinion.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    "Please show me the definition of "self defense distances". Oh, wait...you cannot, except for what your opinion may be."

You are absolutely correct. To my knowledge there is no specific legal range that is a "self defense" range. MitchellCT may be better able to comment here. However, not to worry. I am sure that a judge or jury will be happy to tell you what range is "legal" in any particular case you find yourself involved in. You may find the longer the range the less likely they will consider the danger to the CC holder to really be all that imminent, justifying the use of deadly force. But hey, as you say, this is just my opinion.
    Thanks Gaius, I couldn't think of how best to respond. But you hit the nail on the head.

I'm not crazy about the long trigger pull either. The mag safety & loaded chamber indicator are no biggie for me. YouTube has videos about removing the mag safety, changing the hammer and modifying the long trigger pull by adjusting the trigger bar. A lot of work that I might try sometime. I still like the gun.

For all that has been written to this subject I have given up on auto's as my CCW. I have decided to go with a S&W 638 snub and a strip loader in my other pocket. The perfect gun, for me that is, as I have had a gun smith lightly work the trigger to make it smoother in double action. This model also has the option of SA as it has a "exposed" hammer that allows the gun to be fired that way. I can fire the gun DA and keep all my shots in the 7 ring at 25' and blow the center out in SA. For those long shots I have the SA and for in close DA. I also never have to worry about FTF or FTE and can shoot through a pocket if need be. My LC9 is going to be traded for a 686 4" for range and home defense. Just my opinion but I have a S&W 1911 E and Ruger III for range and fun but I will protect me butt with a revolver. Just my .02.
    Be safe, Frank.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links