Anyone Carry A Glock 39 .45 GAP???

This is a discussion on Anyone Carry A Glock 39 .45 GAP??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Everyone: Does anyone carry the Glock Model 39? If so, do you ever find the GAP ammo available at local stores or do you have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anyone Carry A Glock 39 .45 GAP???

Anyone Carry A Glock 39 .45 GAP???

Everyone:

Does anyone carry the Glock Model 39? If so, do you ever find the GAP ammo available at local stores or do you have to order it online. Seems like a great little gun but the GAP round is a bit scarce.

chesterhound

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I would love to find one at the right price. I have only heard good things about it. Plenty of online places show Gap ammo available, however, I almost never see 230 Gr. self defense ammo...it's always the lighter stuff.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Due to round availability, I prefer to use a .45ACP chambered pistol.

YMMV,
    boomer
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I see it, but not at Wally World or anything. Gander Mountain and Cabelas both have it. 230-gr. loads for it are rare, as the original loads were meant to be 200-gr. and occasionally 185-gr.
    Hakkaa päälle!

I was torn between the ACP and GAP I ended up with the ACP for the same reason. My LGS carries the GAP ammo but it is more expensive than the ACP.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    ...................the original loads were meant to be 200-gr. and occasionally 185-gr.
    I was unaware that the GAP was designed around a 200 Gr. bullet. Do you know that for a fact?

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I was unaware that the GAP was designed around a 200 Gr. bullet. Do you know that for a fact?
    It is fact, or more accuratley should be stated it was designed for a maximum bullet weight of 200gr, as Speer, who developed the round with Glock, also used the 185gr with the 200gr as the optimum loads.

Sicne then Winchester devoloped a 230gr round that performs very well showing the gun is not really limited to the 200gr weight, even though that was a design perimeter. More ammo makers followed.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/pdf/45G...ief_150dpi.pdf

http://www.winchester.com/Pages/Winc...IDGE=45+G.A.P.

.45GAP (.45 GAP): Comparison with .45 ACP +P Ammo
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Oh, and sorry to the OP, I got sidetracked and forgot to answer you. I used to own a 45 GAP, and I never had any issues getting ammo for it. You won't find it in a "General Store" so to speak, but it is pretty easy to find. Occasionally the Wally Worlds in my area have it, and if you order ammo on line, Gunbroker, as well as some other places, have it out the wazoo .

I don't see this round really taking off so to speak, more than it already has, but some State Law Enforcement agencies as well as some pretty large Metro LE agencies adopted it, so it ain't going anywhere either.

I traded mine off, not because of ammo issues or anything else, but just because????? My Glock did shoot very well though, I liked it, just didn't really need it.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

A few of my Florida Highway Patrol friends carry it off and on duty, but get their ammo issued (185gr Gold Dot). We have plenty of dusty boxes of it at the gunshop, most marked "NEW!", which shows how long it's been sitting.

IIRC we shot up two new boxes amongst the range employees, sold 3 boxes with the range rental 39, and sold 3 boxes with that rental when we sold it. The rest of that case is still on the shelf.

I figure it like this: Have small hands and want big bullet? Shoot 180gr .40. Have big hands and want big bullet, shoot .45 ACP. Have to pick guns for large agency of Troopers with large, medium, and small hands and can get guns for free from Glock with trade in of old worn out other brand of sidearms? Get GAP.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I seem to recall a state police department switching to .45 GAP. GA perhaps? I almost bought one back in March but I was a concerned about ammo availibility.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Pennsylvania and Florida use it. Not sure about Georgia.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I currently own a 37 and 39. Love the GAP and I don't have small hands. My wife shot my ACP one time and said it was to big. Her new favorite gun to shoot is the 39. Come November when we are finally allowed to carry concealed I imagine I'll be purchasing a 38 as my wife has set claim to the 39. All the friends I have gone shooting with since I got the 37 have agreed, the GAP is more comfortable then the ACP. Now don't get me wrong, many of them swear by their ACP's and would never cross over, yet they admit the GAP has a more comfortable fit.

Does any manufacturer besides Glock make a GAP chambered pistol? The G39 looks like a great gun for CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by chesterhound View Post
    Does any manufacturer besides Glock make a GAP chambered pistol? The G39 looks like a great gun for CCW.
    Springfield/HS breflly made the XD in .45GAP, but stopped making them shortly after the XD45ACP came out.

According to Springfield, they are no longer in production (but are still plenty of them out there).
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Yes ladies and gentlemen, Georgia State Patrol use this "half a .45 round" that you speak of

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links