Beretta PX4 Storm

Beretta PX4 Storm

This is a discussion on Beretta PX4 Storm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok guys. Girlfriend is getting her conceal carry permit and I'm buying her a pistol. Been messing with the Glock 26 but was in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 Storm

Beretta PX4 Storm

Ok guys. Girlfriend is getting her conceal carry permit and I'm buying her a pistol. Been messing with the Glock 26 but was in the store yesterday and played with a Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm. I'll admit I've never been a fan of Beretta but that was one of the best feeling pistols I've picked up in a long time. So I'm looking at that pistol for her, well and the Glock 26.

Anyone with the PX4? Hows it working for you?
    | Type 01 FFL / SOT |
    | NC CHP Instructor | NRA Pistol Instructor |

It's a good gun. I had a full size 9mm for a while. I didn't sell it because it was a bad performer, but rather I'm converting my collection to .357 mag and .45 acp.

How would she carry it? It's thicker and heavier than glocks, but it does feel great to shoot.

It didn't seem to feel thicker when I had the G26 in my right hand and the PX4 in my left yesterday. Maybe it was and it just felt different. IWB holster is the planned method.
    | Type 01 FFL / SOT |

well you may want to have her hold them and decide what works best for her. if it's going to be a purse gun then size will probably be moot. other options you may need to find out what is most comfortable for her and them move with it. I dont like the beretta safeties but other than that I would take it over a glock any day...but that's just me
    The only Difference between the vanquished and victorious is resolve.

Ignorance is correctable, stupid aint.

It's peanutbutter jelly time

I have a PX 4 and have carried it IWB. They are a fine shooting gun. However, if she is going to be the one shooting/carrying it, I would let her make the final decision. If she has small hands, she may prefer the Glock. Although the Beretta does have three different backstraps,(at least mine does).Either one is a good choice.

Tahunua001 mentioned the Beretta safety, which on mine is a decocker. When I carry mine, I load, chamber a round, decock, then disengage the decocker. The hammer is down so the first trigger pull is DA. Hope this helps.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Are you talking a PX4 , or a PX4- SC (sub-compact).

I have the PX4-SC, and you couldn't get me to give it up ... period.
    Shooting is really good, quality is great, and carries easily.
    Breakdown and cleaning is easy.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Tahunua001 View Post
    well you may want to have her hold them and decide what works best for her. if it's going to be a purse gun then size will probably be moot. other options you may need to find out what is most comfortable for her and them move with it. I dont like the beretta safeties but other than that I would take it over a glock any day...but that's just me
    She will end up making the decision, I will be the one that buys it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    I have a PX 4 and have carried it IWB. They are a fine shooting gun. However, if she is going to be the one shooting/carrying it, I would let her make the final decision. If she has small hands, she may prefer the Glock. Although the Beretta does have three different backstraps,(at least mine does).Either one is a good choice.

Tahunua001 mentioned the Beretta safety, which on mine is a decocker. When I carry mine, I load, chamber a round, decock, then disengage the decocker. The hammer is down so the first trigger pull is DA. Hope this helps.
    Thanks, I'm looking for people who actually carry it, mixed reviews seem to focus on the de-cocker messing up, and the gun "stove pipping" a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Are you talking a PX4 , or a PX4- SC (sub-compact).

I have the PX4-SC, and you couldn't get me to give it up ... period.
    Shooting is really good, quality is great, and carries easily.
    Breakdown and cleaning is easy.
    PX4-SC is the one being looked at.
    | Type 01 FFL / SOT |

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Let your girlfriend pick her own gun.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    Let your girlfriend pick her own gun.
    Reading Comprehension > You
    | Type 01 FFL / SOT |

I've had the full size PX4 and the SC and had no problems with either of them at the range. Some have said the 9mm Compact
    is the best of the Storms and should be considered. But maybe your GF would like something else?? Let her try out several, or does this have to be a surprise( You did say she would would decide, didn't you?!).
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    I've had the full size PX4 and the SC and had no problems with either of them at the range. Some have said the 9mm Compact
    is the best of the Storms and should be considered. But maybe your GF would like something else?? Let her try out several, or does this have to be a surprise( You did say she would would decide, didn't you?!).
    Yes it will come down to what feels good in her hands, like I said before she likes the G26, but I want her to try the PX4-SC to see if she likes the feel of it. Plus, when researching the PX4 I was getting mixed reviews on some issues that were seeming to occur quite a bit.
    | Type 01 FFL / SOT |

I have all three versions of the PX4 9mm.... (Full Size, Compact and Sub Compact)
    Great shooters and in my case the only one that gave me problems when I bought it was the PX4 Compact (Beretta have a recall on the guide rod/spring for specific serial numbers and mine was one of them Beretta Px4 Storm Service )

After I got the new spring (it took 1 week or so) no problems at all... I easily have more than 3K rounds between all three (I don't have my range book with me but something like that).

From all three the Compact is my favorite. Rotating Barrel (not in the Sub Compact), 15+1 rounds and easier to shoot (longer barrel, grip, less recoil)... usually if I can conceal the Sub Compact, I can conceal in the same holster the Compact.

I think they are great guns... I'm used to 1911's so the PX4's are thicker than what I'm used to, but I have no problems concealing them.

Well, hope this helps,
    Good luck on your research!

Beretta PX4 Storm

I carry the PX4 in 45 ACP IWB during the winter. It is a great firearm being light in recoil, accurate and I never had a misfire. Even with the small size backstrap it still has a large grip and I don't see many women carrying this gun. There is the issue of having to engage the slide safety which requires lots of practice. She needs to rent this before purchase if possible. I suggest the M&P which has a smaller grip and low bore axis. I also shoot Glocks but they also have similar large grips but no slide safety.

As was said...what's comfortable for her.

Might want to be careful or you might become a fan of Beretta ;) Some of the most comfortable pistols I've ever held and fired...I have large hands so some of the more popular pistols (especially with grooves) don't feel right at all. I bought a Cougar earlier this year and that has become my daily carry....definitely the best feeling pistol I've ever held. I was a big fan of the M9 while I was in the military, not sure why I took so long buying another Beretta.

PX4 shoots very well. Feels like it has less recoil than other 9's I've shot and feels nice in the hand. Not sure what they changed but the take up in the trigger feels longer than in the Cougar both in DA and SA.

Any ranges around you have a PX4 and Glock 26 that she can put a few boxes through before making the decision?

I was in the same situation for the last 3-4 months. Girlfriend finally settled on a Sig P250 sub compact in 9mm (worth looking at) After she bought it and was using it at the range a few times she didn't like the really long DAO trigger. The other thing she wound up not liking was it didn't conceal well on her (she has a very small frame even though she's 5'11) Long story short she wound up seliing it and buying a sig p238. Trigger is phenomneal and its only a single action trigger, the safety is great on it which she's used to anyway. The biggest thing she likes is the slim profile of the gun. The recoil is just about nil on it as well. Basically try looking at all the aspects, size and concealability. Also see if you can find a place that rents the guns your looking at and give her a chance to fire them. We both really liked the px4 storm, but she didn't like the thickness of it. We both didn't like the "reverse" 1911 style safety. (up to fire instead of down to fire) Either will be a great quality firearm for her, just whatever she feels she likes the best in her hand and will conceal well for her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links