What options for your Glock?

This is a discussion on What options for your Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a 1911 guy at heart, but I've been thinking about dipping my toes in the Tupperware pool. I am interested in getting a Glock ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What options for your Glock?

What options for your Glock?

I'm a 1911 guy at heart, but I've been thinking about dipping my toes in the Tupperware pool. I am interested in getting a Glock 19, and the First Responder paperwork allows me to pick my options. So, I ask you:

1) Sights -- Choices are: 1) Glock plastic sights, 2) Glock metal sights, 3) Glock night sights (Meprolights?), or 4) Trijicons. I have read bad things about the Glock plastic sights with regards to durability. I have never owned a pistol with night sights, but I'm not really a fan of dots on my rear sight. Therefore, I'm leaning toward option 2. If I really want a night sight, I can install a front night sight later. Thougts?

2) Triggers -- Options are: 1) 5.5#, 2) 8#, or 3) NY-1. What's preferable? I would get the 5.5#, but I've heard Mas say good things about the NY-1 and the 3.5# (now called the 4.5#) disconnect. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

2. Remove Ads

Glock night sights and the rest stock. Works good last long time.

on my g22 I have trijicons and I think some sort of night sights is a big must do, I also have a 3.5 trigger, this is optional based on your own preference.

If you have further options steyr makes a fantastic gun, to me it is what the next generation of glocks should have been, or to use my slogan it is glock perfected.
    it is designed by a former glock guy and if you are able to find one it is worth it to check out.
    s9-a1 is a small 9mm, s40-a1 is the same gun in .40 s&w,it is a slight bit larger than a g26 or 27
    m9-a1 is a mid sized 9mm, and the m40-a1 is the same gun in 40 and is a bit like a g19 or 23

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    You can definitely install different sights at a later date if you so choose. When I bought mine, they didn't have my model with night sights in the store. The dealer installed a set of Trijicons at the counter in a matter of a few minutes while I waited. My brother's gun has the stock sights and he prefers my Trijicons to his stock ones. I personally think my sights are easier to see than his stock sights. Mine are bright on both ends so I'm sure you would want something different but its doable nevertheless.

Trigger preference is such a matter of personal taste, I wouldn't even try to give a recommendation on this matter.

I really don't think you can mess up your order. If you find your Glock isn't to your liking with the set-up you order, you can modify it as you go along. It might cost a little more if you have to alter it at a later date but its a relatively small price to pay if you end up with a gun to your liking.

I have several Glocks...
    I'd keep it stock except for some night sights...either Trijicons (on four of mine), or Meps (on one of mine).
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Uh, ditto what NC Bullseye said. If you like the .45, the Glock 30 and 36 are a lot of fun to shoot.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

I have a Gen 4 G 19. It came with Glock night sights and the standard Glock trigger. I've shot 300 rounds with no issues. Lots of dry fire has helped me with the trigger and control.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I have a G26 with Meprolight sights installed. Installation was done by Buds in Lexington KY. Took all of 10 minutes and thay are bright. For what it is worth, if you choose meprolight sights, ignore the yellow ones. I put a green front and yellow rear on a SA XD40 and the yellow barely is visable in total darkless. The green is excellent.

Good luck..
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I've always been a 1911 guy as well. I recently moved from carrying my Nighthawks to Glocks....well, about a year ago. My main carry gun is a 17 Gen 4 with about 6,000 rounds through it. I have a 10-8 rear sight and Warren Tactical tritium front. I also have the 4.5 connector installed.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

did I mention Steyr?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The only change I made on my G30 was to install the extended slide lock release. Just don't care for the OEM version. As for the plastic sights, unless you're planning on dragging your pistol behind your car on the drive to work every day or regularly tossing it off a cliff, the sights will be fine.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sights, I like TruGlo TFO's.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    I'm a 1911 guy at heart, but I've been thinking about dipping my toes in the Tupperware pool. I am interested in getting a Glock 19, and the First Responder paperwork allows me to pick my options. So, I ask you:

2) Triggers -- Options are: 1) 5.5#, 2) 8#, or 3) NY-1. What's preferable? I would get the 5.5#, but I've heard Mas say good things about the NY-1 and the 3.5# (now called the 4.5#) disconnect. Thoughts?
    I tried the much touted 3.5#/NY1 combo. Did not like it.

IMHO, leave the trigger stock.

Actually, that would be my advice in general for the Glock. Run it as is for a good while, before you decide what doo-dads to buy for it.
    Gforty likes this.

I have factory Meprolights on my G23, and Trijicons on my G19. Meps are at least twice as bright as the Trijicons, but my local gun store guys tell me that the Trijicons will outlast the Meprolights. No idea if this is true or not.

Install night sights of your choice, and leave the trigger alone. Perfection does not need to be altered.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

5.5lb connector, warren or 10-8 performance sights with tritium front, plain rear. If gen3, get a TangoDown Vickers Mag release. Done.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links