Kit Setup

This is a discussion on Kit Setup within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I started with a S&W 640 - which is perfect. I then added a Mossberg 20ga. Then I added a S&W 642 for my wife. ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Kit Setup

Kit Setup

I started with a S&W 640 - which is perfect. I then added a Mossberg 20ga. Then I added a S&W 642 for my wife.

My wife doesn't care for the 642. She really likes the trigger pull and recoil weight of the 640. I don't get to carry here in MD but I'm trying to move so I want to set myself up the best I can. I don't really care for the 642 either so I'm thinking of selling it to get something different. I want to set my kit up for four areas I think necessary. (1)Deep conceal for when I have to wear a suit or business casual, (2)a sidearm for any known offensive/defensive scenario, (3)a primary long gun, (4)and a survival weapon. My thoughts are as follows and I'd like some input to my thoughts to help me organize or change them.

My wife basically wants something to keep in the bedroom if I need to use the long gun so I'd like to use the sidearm for that purpose because she will likely need to hold kids with one hand and the long guns would be difficult for her. The long gun is my check/defend the house gun. I would also like all my weapons to be a bug-out capable system (i.e. light weight and small footprint). Here are a couple of my courses of action that I'd like input to or even dramatic changes to.

COA 1:
    S&W 640, S&W 627, Marlin 1894C(SS), Marlin 70PSS

COA 2:
    No BUG/Deep Conceal, S&W 640, Marlin 1894C(SS), Marlin 70PSS

COA 3:
    S&W 640, S&W 629, Marlin 1894/18954C(SS), Marlin 70PSS

COA 4:
    No BUG/Deep conceal, S&W 640, Mossberg 20ga, Marlin 70PSS

I really like the packability and availability of pistol caliber ammunition but that doesn't mean I discount other options. I could also switch to a semi-auto oriented setup but my wife really like revolvers. I do too because we don't shoot that often and the muscle memory of a semi-auto is degradable for me - and I have quite a bit of training with them. I also like leaving everything loaded and ready to go with springs at rest. I'm trying to get my thoughts organized about all this and I've searched and read so many threads - most of them changing philosophy over time/experience of the posters that I'd like something up to date. Also the makes/models are debatable; I just happen to dig S&W and Marlin.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I have no real disagreement with your choices, but I do wonder about your statement "I also like leaving everything loaded and ready to go with springs at rest". Are you implying that a cocked and locked, ready to fire pistol is somehow degrading the integrity of the springs?

A simple thing wife and I did was adopt the color code system for when we are out and about, all one of us has to do is say the color and we both go on the appropriate level of alert or defense no questions ask.

Second thing was both carry same model of handgun for defense, in that way ammo and mag etc can be exchanged with ease.

More important than kit selection is SA and a workable plan of defense for you and spouse for home and when you are out and about, in this way children are the most protected.

You might consider that there is more to a kit for defense than a firearm, check your local and state laws for info as to what you can use now.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I've never had a problem with springs degrading in any semi-auto but I also don't have as much experience as others and some of them seem to think springs do degrade. Perhaps it's an unjustified concern and I'm happy to discount it.

We do work through drills and SA type of things and with our kids, floor plan, etc, it has led me to a collection of firearms similar to the above. Even after we move, my wife isn't going to be the one carrying. We do everything together and if she isn't 100% comfortable with it, I don't want her to carry. At home however, I'm not always around and she is more vulnerable and she practices shooting based on home scenarios most.

Out of your choices, I like #3.

I just don't see a reason for the extra bells and whistles in the 627 model.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

A couple of thoughts -

I see you're aiming for common ammo - good deal. Your package #1 has a lot going for it, but I would pass on the 627 and elect either a 4-inch 686 or even a 64. That becomes the nightstand/house gun. The Marlin lever gun in .357 is a good "urban assault" weapon and game-getter within reasonable range, and all 3 will run .38 and .357. I would settle on one load of each, probably a 158 gr +P for the .38 and a 158 gr soft point for the .357, so you won't have to learn more than 2 sets of trajectories for each gun (and realistically, you'd likely only be concerned with that for the long gun).

For the .22, I'm a big fan of the Ruger 10/22 for its compactness and reliability. Regardless of which .22 you choose, I'd include a fixed-power 4x scope with mounts that hold a decent zero after dismount and re-installation.

Skip the .44 mag, and add a pump shotgun in 12 or 20 ga if you're OK with adding a third flavor of ammo.
    DefConGun and Cory1022 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I admire the thought, planning and preparation that you have put into your plan/kit. I unfortunately don't have any experience with the guns you have mentioned so I'm sorry I can't make any recommendations in this area. I like your thought process though. I agree that having guns that can share mags and or ammo is a huge plus IMO. You said that you didn't want your wife to carry if she wasn't comfortable with it and I agree with that line of thinking as well. Regardless of your wife deciding whether or not she is comfortable with carrying, have you two talked about her carrying a good spray? I would recommend carrying this regardless of what she carries - even if she doesn't carry anything. You could also carry an OC regardless of your attire. Have you considered this? I don't mean to get off topic or side track the thread, I just thought I would throw it in the arena, given that a SD/HD kit can include more than firearms per se. I would also recommend for you to get a good tactical light for the bedroom to keep near your long gun.

Please keep us up to date on what you decide to do, I'd be interested in seeing how it works out for you.

Best of hope going out to you and yours.

DCG

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    A couple of thoughts -

I see you're aiming for common ammo - good deal. Your package #1 has a lot going for it, but I would pass on the 627 and elect either a 4-inch 686 or even a 64. That becomes the nightstand/house gun. The Marlin lever gun in .357 is a good "urban assault" weapon and game-getter within reasonable range, and all 3 will run .38 and .357. I would settle on one load of each, probably a 158 gr +P for the .38 and a 158 gr soft point for the .357, so you won't have to learn more than 2 sets of trajectories for each gun (and realistically, you'd likely only be concerned with that for the long gun).

For the .22, I'm a big fan of the Ruger 10/22 for its compactness and reliability. Regardless of which .22 you choose, I'd include a fixed-power 4x scope with mounts that hold a decent zero after dismount and re-installation.

Skip the .44 mag, and add a pump shotgun in 12 or 20 ga if you're OK with adding a third flavor of ammo.
    gasmitty, you're the bomb. Great post/response.

+1

When I lived in WA, I had a model 65 that I really liked but I didn't have the money to get the 640 without selling it. I had a difficult time concealing the 4" K frame. Now I wish I would have simply cut back on toilet paper quality rather than sell that gun.

My only gripe with the shotgun is the weight and bulk which is a moot point in the house.

My wife does carry an OC. I have never thought to really - I have a misconception of "what would that protect me from that huge bulging manly muscles can't?"

I do really like the 10/22 also. The after market support for them is so much better too. Breaking down in the big picture isn't that big of a deal is it?

I have a surefire attached to the 20ga now with the tacstar light mount and I like that a lot. I think any long gun would accept that setup and it works pretty well for me. I just push the back button on the light with the web of my hand.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    gassmitty gave very sound advice, the 686 would bring a lot more to your kit in compatibility/commonality than the .44 mag. In a dangerous situation your wife could pack the 640 and you the 686. .38 ammo could be interchanged between them if you ran out of .357. A 20 g would be easily workable for your wife with low recoil and ease of use/manual of arms, and it's hard to argue against a shottie for multiple use (HD/survival/putting game on the table), in conjunction with a .22 you wouldn't go hungry. You also have ammo compatibility with your long gun in the 1895c. Depending on what kind of area you are in you may be a little short on onboard ammo if you encountered a group bent on wrongdoing...

Examine your ammo needs also, you will want some hard cast bullets for the 1895c if you needed to take larger game such as deer. The 20 will need slugs, buck, and something lighter for small game. All in all, nice kit, but I would feel a little like something geared towards assault would be lacking if it were my set up. Maybe a Kalishnakov in 5.45 would fill that out.

I went to pick up some ammunition last week but they only 1 - box of .38 special, 0 - .357mag, 0 - 44 anything. I'm almost thinking I should convert to semi-auto just so I can find bullets to send down range; they had a bunch of 9mm, a few .40, and a few .45acp. The versatility of revolver caliber ammunition seems like a great idea in theory but if I can't find ammunition locally, I may have to go a completely different way. Regardless the .22 and 20ga are staying.

Perhaps I'll look into a pf-9, G17/G19, semi-auto PC carbine. I really like the compact size and pack-ability of pistol caliber ammunition. The shotgun is kind of an exception to it because they are simply quite good at everything. Finding ammunition to shoot seems like a pretty good reason to forfeit my love of revolvers.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    You will have a better selection and way better prices by buying your ammo online.

Links