I'd really like some unemotional info on Taurus 651 and 851

This is a discussion on I'd really like some unemotional info on Taurus 651 and 851 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that the subject of Taurus can sometimes bring out a lot of emotional (but not necessarily accurate) opinions. Recently I bought an S&W ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I know that the subject of Taurus can sometimes bring out a lot of emotional (but not necessarily accurate) opinions. Recently I bought an S&W 638. My son and I were out shooting and he (we) really liked the gun. He was asking me about a couple of Taurus models that pretty much look like knock offs of the Smiths. Specificaly the model 651 in .357 mag and the model 851 in .38+p. Looks like they're both stainless and weigh about 10 ounces more than my Smith. This is roughly what the all stainless Smiths weigh. Bud's has the 851 on sale for $286 or the 651 for $338. He was asking what I thought of them but I don't know enough about them to give an educated opinion. I owned a Taurus 38 years ago that I got from a guy who owed me money. I didn't shoot it a whole lot but I do remember I was fairly impressed with how smooth the action was. I know a lot of guys complain about the Taurus autos but what about the revolvers.

I own a 605, which is the steel exposed hammer .357 snub. I've owned it for 3 years. I've shot probably over 1000 rounds through it, almost all .38 handloads. Mine has been fine. It's not going anywhere unless I can finagle an upgrade to a S&W or Ruger.

Those prices look good. I paid $325 3 years ago, for stainless.

I suggest you peruse the Taurus Armed forum. They're not rabid fanboys over there. They'll talk about the bad as well as the good.

You would think I would get some feedback over at the Taurus site but so far nothing.

I bought a blued 651 about two weeks ago. I found one NIB at a local shop and at the end of the day I think it was $5 less to buy it from Bud's....so I went ahead and just bought it at the pawn shop instead. This is my second Taurus snubby. I also have a 85UL Titanium. I also have a few Smiths, mostly Rugers, etc. That being said, I am fairly impressed with the gun. There are a few blemishes on the finish, but no more than the Ruger SP101 3" that I bought about 3 weeks ago.

The trigger is pretty smooth and at 10 pounds is much lighter/crisper/smoother than the Rugers that I own. Last week I took it to the range and shot about 50 rounds of home rolled +P 158 grain .38 special through it, which was a breeze to shoot. And about 40-50 rounds of moderate 158 grain .357 loads that were my re-loads as well. I was pretty impressed with the way the gun handled, and at 25 oz my hand wasn't crying for mercy. I personally would go with the 651 over the 851 as I like the option of shooting .357 or .38 special loads.

Here is a good article/review:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/rev...rsatile-value/

And a few pics of mine that I took on my camera phone:

I have the Taurus 650 .357 and have no problems with it after several hundred rounds down range. IMO, Taurus makes a mid-tier level of handguns and every once and a while they'll spit out a lemon. That coupled with their poor customer service has given them a pretty bad wrap. IMO, it's their fault in regards to their reputation, but again, I think their revolvers are worth the coin spent on um. I paid right at $300 and change for my 650, and am satisfied with both the function and finish of it. If someone wanted to know if they are equal to the Rugers and the Smith's, I'd have to say no, but then again, I really don't need a big name, or a fancy looking handgun to defend what's mine.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I had one years ago, and it was a good firearm. The thing is, it depends on what level of experience you are at.
    Some people with less experience, may not notice the trigger pull difference, due to not having shot enough of other brands to have something to compare it to.

My thoughts are this; while they may be very good guns, the Smith&Wesson trigger cannot be beat. Plus, the resale value is night and day. As hard as money is to come buy these days, it may make more sense than ever to put a few more dollars together and get the Smith. They are not much more, and the long term investment and user satisfaction are certainly well worth it.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I owned one, I actually really liked it. Right up until the time it fell apart in my hands when I opened the cylinder and I had to return it to taurus. It wasn't the weapon, but the customer service that turned me off.

It was a good shooter. There is no comparison to my LCR or smith as far as fit and finish and trigger however. It was ok with recoil with full house 357 rounds It is a good cheap handgun. However I warn everyone about Taurus and I would not recommend it to you. It looked nice with the eagle grips I put on it.

The first thing I did was pick up some snap caps and sit at home and run about 1000 trigger pulls through it to really smooth it out. then over the course of two months I took it out to the range to give it a good run down and shot many different types of .357 through it one handed to ensure it would be accurate and manageable one handed and while moving. I ran 158gr wad cutters, and multiple types of 125Gr JHP through it. My counts were 250 rounds of .38 special and +P and 250 rounds of .357 magnum. During that whole time I had one lockup with the golden sabres and a few with the buffalo bore.

However after falling apart with around 500 rounds through it, the lockups and dealing with Taurus, I sold it and moved on. Was a looker though with the grips. I say you spend the extra 1-200 bucks and get yourself a ruger or smith because not only do you get quality craftsmanship but excellent customer support if there are issues.

My Taurus experience is limited to a 617 which is a 7 shot 357 Magnum. I no longer have the gun but when I did it was a good performer for me. Glockman10mm is correct in saying that if you are accustomed to shooting S&Ws you will notice the difference in the trigger. The Taurus I owned seemed to be well worth the money I paid for it. Most of the negative reports of Taurus quality I have seen have been on the internet and while I don't discount that I do notice that people I know face to face who own Taurii seem to get along with them OK.

Quote Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
    You would think I would get some feedback over at the Taurus site but so far nothing.
    Check again. You have some now.

Another thing to be aware of: Most accessories (holsters, speedloaders) for the S&W J-frame work with the Taurus. Grips do not.

I've had two Taurus pistols. Neither was a good choice for me. Yes, Taurus has great customer service because they service A LOT of their product.
    I'd stay away from Taurus, but many swear by the gun...not me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have a Model 85UL and it has been great. I use it in IDPA and USPSA BUG matches, so it gets shoot quite a lot. Most of the rounds have been low power .38 specials, but I have ran some 135gr. GD through it. I carry it from time to time and so far I am pleased with it.
    Semper Fi

6-7 years ago before I started reading gun forums, I bought a new M651 for $240. Have shot less than 1000rds, mostly 38s with no problems. Only 357s it's had have been mid-loads like Rem GS. I've got a feeling it wouldn't like a big diet of full house 357s? Trigger's as good as my 40+ year old SW M38 and I mainly use Rem 158 LHP +P in it.

After many comments from members of this and the taurus board. And after reading every review I could find there still was not what I considered a definative answer. For every "yes" there was a "no" to balance it. My son had already decided he was going to get the 851 in 38+p. Instead, being as it was my son, I gave him the difference and asked him to by the Smith. I feel much more comfortable with Smith and , to be perfectly honest, I like seeing USA printed on the gun. Only condition is, if he ever sells it I get my money back (and first option to buy).

I think you made the right choice. Your son will thank you in the long run. Taurus are cheaper S&Ws anyways. You might as well spend the difference and get the real deal instead of a knock-off.

Guns are not like TVs. When they fail, it's far worse than saving money on some off-brand that uses reject displays from one of the big manufacturers. Especially if you might use it for self defense.

yeah, I feel it was an easy way to resolve the question. Not saying anything bad about Taurus but, for the $80 difference there was no reason not to go with the Smith.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links