1911 help, not liking the platform.

This is a discussion on 1911 help, not liking the platform. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll preface this by saying I'm coming from a competition background in USPSA and IDPA since that was mentioned earlier in this thread. The advantage ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 1911 help, not liking the platform.

Advantages of a thumb on they safety grip

I'll preface this by saying I'm coming from a competition background in USPSA and IDPA since that was mentioned earlier in this thread.
    The advantage of resting your thumb on the safety is it ensures the safety stays off. As an RO I've witnessed novice and experienced shooters have their safety engage while shooting when the thumb is positioned under it as a result of recoil and lack of a firm grip. When under the stress of the clock experienced shooters average 2-3 seconds to ascertain why their gun is not firing and correct, novices generally much longer. In a life threatening situation, much can transpire in 2-3 seconds.

When these shooters (ones that I'm able to observer regularly) moved to a thumb resting on the safety grip, the problem disappeared. My $0.02.

How many rounds have you fired through this weapon?

Take care,
    Rik

2. Remove Ads

Hold the pistol in your strong hand only. You should be able to draw a relatively straight line through the bore to your elbow. If the gun is canted to the right for a right hander or vice versa, less of you hand will be in contact with the grip.

Bore in line with elbow:

Bore canted, reducing contact with the backstrap:

Obviously not a 1911 in the pictures, but they should give you an idea what I'm talking about.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I have a Springfield 1911A Loaded, I want to start by saying it is a great firearm and mine has been flawless in function. I like the 1911
    trigger and its accuracy.

Here is my problem it concerns the grip safety and the slide safety, I can shoot the gun fine, where I have trouble is with the grip safety,when I draw the gun with a good high grip then try to put my thumb above the slide safety and continue to bring my support hand into
    position the heal of my hand releases the grip safety and the gun become in safe mode again. I know it is the web of hand not being in
    contact with the grip safety.

The thumb above the slide safety works as far as I easily flip the safety off, but by that time the web of my hand is off the grip safety.

Any suggestions?
    Get a Glock.

This is the 21st century. Options abound. You should not have to build your defensive life around the nuances of a pistol. If there's a problem, then there's a problem. Carry a pistol that does what YOU want/need it to do.

Dont give up on it, thats was my mistake way too many times. I will always have Glocks, but today I went shooting with my Colt testing some reloads, and let me tell you what, the Glock accuracy is just not on par with the Colt.

Anything worth doing is worth working for. You will be glad you did.

Yes this is the 21st century, and Glocks are great. But why and the hell cant they make a 21st century gun shoot like a 1911?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Needs a little attention from a good smith. Either fix the engagement of this particular grip safety, or replace it and adjust it to disengage with minimal movement.

I had this done to mine.

Back in 1991, I purchased a new Colt 1991 a1, and had the same problem. Being the dummy I was at the time, I attributed it to the pistol. This began my forray of many years and much, much money spent on various 1911 pistols, in a love/ hate relationship.

My lastest purchase, MY Colt, is here to stay. I had some issues with it at first that were magazine related, but with some help from some much better schooled in the design than myself here on the forum, it has become as reliable and more enjoyable than any auto pistol I own. Stick with it.

I am now eyeballing my second Colt 1911....or two
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I ran into occasional problems disengaging the grip safety, when drawing quickly from my then-mandated Safariland 070 duty holster. This was a perfect storm of events that occurred only when drawing from this particular holster, due to the peculiar motions needed to release the multiple retention devices, but I found no way train around it, so I switched duty pistols, first the Glock G22 for a couple of years, and then to the much better-fitting SIG P229 DAKs that I still use.

I did find a hardware solution to the problem: a high-cut front strap, a.k.a. under-cut trigger guard. This lets a 1911 sit lower in my hand, and results in fool-proof engagement of the grip safety. Les Baer frames have been built this way ever since Baer started making his own frames. Wilson Combat frames have this feature, and Colt's relatively new XSE frames have
    this feature. A custom 'smith can modify an existing frame, if he will offer the service.

I sold my Colt and Kimbers, and kept my Les Baer. Any future 1911 pistols I purchase will have the trigger guard/front strap junction shaped to allow the low hold, because the original-contour 1911 frame how feels awkward to me, and for the extra assurance that the grip safety will work for me as intended.

To be clear, I have skinny, boney hands, without much meat to bear against a grip safety.
    Last edited by Rexster; August 22nd, 2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Typo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links