1911 help, not liking the platform.

This is a discussion on 1911 help, not liking the platform. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Springfield 1911A Loaded, I want to start by saying it is a great firearm and mine has been flawless in function. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 1911 help, not liking the platform.

I have a Springfield 1911A Loaded, I want to start by saying it is a great firearm and mine has been flawless in function. I like the 1911
    trigger and its accuracy.

Here is my problem it concerns the grip safety and the slide safety, I can shoot the gun fine, where I have trouble is with the grip safety,when I draw the gun with a good high grip then try to put my thumb above the slide safety and continue to bring my support hand into
    position the heal of my hand releases the grip safety and the gun become in safe mode again. I know it is the web of hand not being in
    contact with the grip safety.

The thumb above the slide safety works as far as I easily flip the safety off, but by that time the web of my hand is off the grip safety.

Any suggestions?

Get a grip safety with a speed bump in it. I am not sure what they call the hump or bump in the grip safety.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

My gun has one.

Iam not a fan of high hold. I know its the rage today but most of todays shooting is for sport and against a clock . That split sec. faster 2nd shot might be ok on the range .But is it really needed in real life. Range and street to different things People been getting shot with 1911's a long time before the high hold came along . I think you need to find what comfortable for you . What works for you and not latest This makes you faster and better . It seems in your choice. It makes you dead on the street. Hold lower and shoot a little slower. Street is won by accurate shot on target.

I practice on a standard 8x11 white paper at 7 yds . If I have a nice tight little group Iam shooting to slow. If all over paper to fast If center and around 3 to 4" group Just right for SD. When you can do that regular . Move target out to 10 yds. If you get really good fold paper in half.
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994,1997 Colt Officer ACPs 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Detonics come visit http://www.americanclassic1911forum.com or www.bersachat.com

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Have you tried shooting with your thumb under the thumb safety? That should get the meat of your palm a little further down. While thumb over safety is preferred, it's not the only way to grip the gun.

Try an arched main housing.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I thank you for the tip, yes I can take a different hold with the thumb below the safety, I will try training with that technique because I really like the guns
    performance other than the safety issue.

The web of your hand should be tucked into the crook of the grip safety, with your three fingers wrapped around the grip frame you should have a solid grip on the gun and be able to manipulate the thumb safety independently of moving the rest of your hand.

Personally, I think a lot of people make a mistake relying so completely on a two handed grip (like the "everything high" method), IMO you should first have a strong one handed grip then use the free hand to support it. If the OP was starting with a proper one handed grip he wouldn't be having troubles with either safety.
    bcvojak likes this.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

cmb
    i noticed from your avatar a snubbie, totally different grip, good strong one handed grip, thumb on top of safety riding it even as you shoot, your three fingers on front should keep the grip safety depressed, it is a totally differen ergonomic feel from the snub, glock, etc...
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

I had three Kimbers and loved them...took a point shooting course...shot both the Kimbers and my Glock-36.
    No problems with the Glock-36...no external safeties...sold my three 1911's, and now I only have Glocks (five of them).
    The Glock is an extremely safe gun, but no more concerns with external safeties.OMOYMV
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Does your loaded Springer have a palmswell bump on its grip safety? If you are still having trouble despite having a palmswell, you can have the grip safety fitted to where just a minimal amount of travel will let the gun fire. Most out of the box 1911s require that the grip safety be depressed all the way down to let the gun fire.

Caspian makes a vertical "Speed Bump" style raised pad for their grip safeties. I put one on my SW1911 because the standard Wilson grip safety's raised pad wasn't quite enough for my hand for 100% functioning. The trouble with some model Springers is that they have an oddball .220" frame radius that Caspian doesn't make a grip safety for. Caspian only makes grip safeties for the Wilson compound contour and the Ed Brown .250" contour.

Another idea for you to consider is a low mount "Gunsite" thumb safety. The shelf that your thumb sits on is lower than a standard one. You can check them out here:

1911 AUTO LOW MOUNT THUMB SAFETY - Brownells

VIP Member
    Visualize a little stress during practice, and you'll overcome the grip safety every time. When the thumb safety comes off with the draw, and your thumb rests under the safety, in line with the bore, you just point your thumb at the target and keep pressing the trigger while the gun comes up to eye level and the support hand can help from below. Distance and time will determine how soon you can shoot first or have to shoot back. From a death grip at the jerk, to a more relaxed precision hold behind the sights, shooting can be viewed as a continuum. Start slow and smooth, but the time it takes to get everything perfect may be the rest of your life.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Seen some old Texas Ranger 1911's that had a piece of rawhide tying the grip saftey down. It is a problem for some time for some folks.. (100 yrs.!)

I like the Idea of the grip saftey & never had a problem with one on any 1911 I ever fired, so my best advice to you would be to Install a grip saftey with a speed bump, my Kimber has one & it does start to sting the part of your hand that it contacts after a while, 100 rounds or so but really not much of a concern.

Or just tie the darn thing down. No its not really very PC right now but its more common practice than one might think.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I have a Springfield 1911A Loaded, I want to start by saying it is a great firearm and mine has been flawless in function. I like the 1911 trigger and its accuracy.
    Here is my problem it concerns the grip safety and the slide safety, I can shoot the gun fine, where I have trouble is with the grip safety,when I draw the gun with a good high grip then try to put my thumb above the slide safety and continue to bring my support hand into
    position the heal of my hand releases the grip safety and the gun become in safe mode again. I know it is the web of hand not being in
    contact with the grip safety. The thumb above the slide safety works as far as I easily flip the safety off, but by that time the web of my hand is off the grip safety.Any suggestions?
    Well with ANY gun you shouldn't be shifting your grip between the draw and the presentation...

As seen in this video Beginner Shooting Tips w/ Il Ling New: Gripping the Handgun - YouTube -

A High Hold is best -EVEN WHEN THE GUN IS NOT A 1911.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Administrator
    Some day when you're out and all relaxed and "punching leisurely paper" try gripping your 1911 exactly the the same way that you would grip it when some massive bad guy is running at you full speed and ready to cave in your skull with an Aluminum baseball bat.

That is when you'll discover that your existing grip safety is actually functioning just fine.
    OD*, WC145, 357and40 and 2 others like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links