Mea culpa...

Mea culpa...

This is a discussion on Mea culpa... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That's my G17. Was my G17. It has wear marks under the 1st finger groove from my class ring. For a short time it had ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Texag
  • 3 Post By Texag

Thread: Mea culpa...

Mea culpa...

That's my G17. Was my G17. It has wear marks under the 1st finger groove from my class ring. For a short time it had blood on it from me whacking my elbow against some skateboard tape I had on the grip while chasing a felon. The near medieval texture had was a nice way to keep my calluses under control. Alas, now it's gone.

At the beginning of my foray into pistol shooting, I blindly parroted all the BS you hear about glocks, the trigger sucks, the grip is uncomfortable, they point high, the list goes on. Run through Various CZs and M&Ps, then flash forward to getting hired on at a PD where my choices were Beretta, Sig, or glock in 9mm, .357 sig or .40, ora Kimber 1911. I whined, I moaned, I bought a gen 4 G17, and a funny thing happened. I realized this was going to be a gun that might be responsible for saving lives, and I practiced. Suddenly, that trigger was easy to work. The gun pointed naturally because most guns will when you do a hundred or so presentations a day for a few weeks. Ringing steel at 150yds offhand? No problem.

Then I changed careers and along came a sexy HK P30S v3 and away went an ugly G17 with some holster wear and a G19 I never really warmed to. After numerous range trips, lost of carry time and copious amounts of dry practice, I simply don't shoot the HK as well. The P30 has a more comfy grip. The paddle mag release is outta this world good compared to even the most well thought out button release, and I don't think a more durable pistol exists. All that doesn't mean much in the face of results, and the cold truth is I have to work much harder with the P30 to approach what I could do with the G17.

I don't really know what I was going for with this post, but it's an odd feeling to realize the "best" (HK)...isn't(for me).
    WHEC724, joker1, ZX9RCAM and 1 others like this.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

JD
    Administrator
    Been there, done that. For me it was a Pre-series 80 Colt Combat Commander that I sold to finance a Sig 220 SAO. Should have just kept the Colt. It's pretty much the only gun I've sold that I miss. The good news is that you could move the P30 and get another Glock and have $$$ left over to redress it accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Been there, done that. For me it was a Pre-series 80 Colt Combat Commander that I sold to finance a Sig 220 SAO. Should have just kept the Colt. It's pretty much the only gun I've sold that I miss. The good news is that you could move the P30 and get another Glock and have $$$ left over to redress it accordingly.
    That's plan B. I've got a message out to the guy I sold the pictured gun to with an offer to buy it back for what he paid plus some $ for his troubles.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    That's plan B. I've got a message out to the guy I sold the pictured gun to with an offer to buy it back for what he paid plus some $ for his troubles.
    Too bad I've sated my gun bug for the next few months or I'd buy your P30.

It's already destined for the holster of a good friend. I like to keep tabs on my former wards.

ETA: The buyer for the pictured G17 got back to me and said he hasn't even fired it and will sell it back to me. Today is off to a good start.
    Last edited by Texag; August 23rd, 2011 at 08:52 AM.
    joker1, JD and Brady like this.

I'm with you.

I was not a fan of glocks, period. I yammered about grip angle. I yammered about unsupported chambers. I yammered about triggers.

Then I got one, and found out that they really do shoot great for me.

But still, I didn't want to like them. So I tried XD's. I tried M&P's. I already had a USP. And yet...the Glock worked better than all of 'em.

So...yeah. For polymer, the Glock simply is the best choice for me, and I've learned to embrace it.

I still shoot P7's and 1911's better, though.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    To each his own!! Glad to hear your long lost buddy is coming home!! Shame you already found a home for the P30 -- I have been on the lookout for one!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Same thing happened to me, I have three Glock .40s & bought an HK P30 because it has to be better, right?
    Well, I can't shoot the HK anywhere near as good as the Glocks, & I don't know why (luckily I did not sell any of the Glocks).

I do have an HK .45 USP Tactical that is awesome though!
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Texag it is harder to unlearn a behavior than it is to learn a behavior.
    You trained yourself on one firearm & since you learned it inside & out you are having a natural hiccup in the other. I learned on PCs, naturally I hate Macs...

I can shoot Glocks well, I just do not like them. Most of the things you stated above are the reasons why but the trigger tends to cut into my index finger something awful. Believe me, I have tried to like Glocks, I just don't. I am glad it is all working well for you in the end.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Well glad that seems to be working out for you. It's a good day indeed.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I've always considered the Glocks as "different," not "bad." I don't love have any particular love for my G30. The grip on my G30 isn't perfect, I don't think the trigger is the best in the world, I don't think it will ever have "classic lines" like a 1911; it just does everything I ask of it.

I probably should love it more.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Texag it is harder to unlearn a behavior than it is to learn a behavior.
    You trained yourself on one firearm & since you learned it inside & out you are having a natural hiccup in the other. I learned on PCs, naturally I hate Macs...

I can shoot Glocks well, I just do not like them. Most of the things you stated above are the reasons why but the trigger tends to cut into my index finger something awful. Believe me, I have tried to like Glocks, I just don't. I am glad it is all working well for you in the end.
    That's what I chalked my initial difficulty with the P30 up to, but after a decent amount downrange and tons of dry practice it wasn't getting much better, especially when trying to shoot quickly and accurately.

I will be buying my G17 back tomorrow. The workday is going to go slowly.

Sponsored Links