Anybody else have a difficut time converting from steel to plastic?

This is a discussion on Anybody else have a difficut time converting from steel to plastic? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My primary carry is a Baby Eagle full size steel .40. Been on my hip (IWB) since 2007, 15 hours a day, 7 days a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Anybody else have a difficut time converting from steel to plastic?

Anybody else have a difficut time converting from steel to plastic?

My primary carry is a Baby Eagle full size steel .40. Been on my hip (IWB) since 2007, 15 hours a day, 7 days a week.

First there was panic when there was a year and a half dry spell on importation from Israel (parts or replacement in case of failure). Then there was the bluing that was worn away on the frame by the holster and harsh environment and cancer set in. So began the hunt for a plastic carry for work.

Enter the Baby Eagle II full size poly that was finally developed and imported. All the features of my steel, virtually same grip (slightly smaller, and less clearance in the trigger guard, find something else every shooting session).

Granted I only have about 500 rounds through it, but I am still having a hard time getting in the groove with it. Shooting consistently 2" left, unless I reeeeallly focus on what I am doing, and then only about half the time I am within 1" of POA. Seems to take forever to get the sights back on target for a follow up shot, and an evil nasty flinch I cant get rid of (empty chamber/snap cap).

I know, practice, practice, practice.

Do I need to mindwipe everything I have learned and start fresh? Is there a trick I am missing here?

I'd love to hear the experiences of those who grudgingly made the switch from steel to plastic, and what you did to over come any problems (if any).
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

Not since I got my CCW.

Plastic is soooo much easier to carry . . .
    WvHiker likes this.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    I'm going the other way. Done with plastics. Going all 1911's. Except for maybe one poly, G29.
    Hulley likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

VIP Member
    I've never been a fan of plastic guns. I do however have a Kahr CW45, that I bought for work day carry. I haven't had any problems transitioning to it.It took a couple of hundred rounds to get use to the long trigger pull (use to a 1911), but after that I was good to go.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    How good is the trigger on your Baby Eagle II ?

If the trigger is too heavy and/or not good & not consistent then you'll never know if it's you or the gun.

"Shooting consistently 2" left, unless I reeeeallly focus on what I am doing, and then only about half the time I am within 1" of POA."

Plastics have their place, however, I love my steel when I only like my plastic.
    deadguy likes this.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

I recently bought my first piece of combat tupperware. So far I love it, don't get me wrong, I still love my steelies, but man that M&P is a great little gun.

I have also gone the other way selling off my M&P 45c and Walther PPS and going all metal (with a real hammer). I now carry a CZ P-01 most of the time. and a S&W M&P 360 3" occasionally.
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    No problem only have two plastic guns all the others are steel.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Why is there a problem? If you like steel, buy steel ... problem solved.
    "Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid."
    John Wayne

I too am going in another direction. Love the Colt, but the fantastic plastic still gets it's game time.
    But I really love my Colt.....
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I guess I'm just an old dog that doesn't like to learn new tricks. Plastic has its place--in the kitchen in food storage containers! I love steel, buy steel, own steel, carry steel. My wife, however, does have a full size Beretta PX4 Storm in .40S&W, and I admit it is pretty nice and shoots good. But then, she is younger than me and hasn't owned and shot guns for over 55 years. I'll personally stick with steel.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    For me, I think it's a weight/size thing. My plastics are not only lighter, they are generally smaller. I find that I tend to carry steel in the winter since I'm wearing cover garments and a sturdy belt, and plastic in the summer where I'm often pocket-carrying in cargo shorts, or grabbing a clip-on IWB as I head out the door.

I must admit, if the weather permitted me to dress as I liked, I'd carry a steel 1911 every day.
    mr surveyor likes this.

go shoot a Glock rapid fire. You won't have any problem making the transition. But why do you have to give up your steel guns for polymer. Both live in harmony in
    my gun safe.......and they don't yet make a good polymer 1911.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    You know, Sticks, it is funny. I hear this same complaint often, but I just don't understand it. I shoot steel and polymer about the same. I don't have any feeling one way or the other.

I am not trying to be contentious, but is it possible it is all in your head?

Now, hear me out. All guns are different, we all know that. All triggers are just a little different. I think of it like cars. A manual transmision requires me to do different things than an automatic to make it perform . I prefer manual transmision cars, but I can drive an automatic just fine. It is all about working out the peculiarities of that particular car (or gun).

I am sure you can work it out. It would probably help to have somebody watch you shoot to see what you can't or, don't, see for yourself.

Good luck with it.
    gorilla45 likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links