New sights For 1911

This is a discussion on New sights For 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Springfield 1911 A1 Loaded. It has been a great pistol since I have had it. However it came with fixed sights. I ...

Thread: New sights For 1911

New sights For 1911

I have a Springfield 1911 A1 Loaded. It has been a great pistol since I have had it. However it came with fixed sights. I think that with with the addition of some new sights I would increase my accuracy.
    I am also interested in night sights as the 3-dot white are becoming harder to get a good sight picture especially in low light conditions. Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Tc

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Night sights aren't really that great for low light, its gotta be DARK for them to really shine. Check out 10-8 sight with a black only rear with wide (.156") notch and either a brass bead or fiber optic front sight.

Sent via Tapatalk...and still using real words.

New Member Array keroseneburner's Avatar
    What JD said. 10-8 is good stuff.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    FWIT, I have Meprolight sights. While yes, they are bright, they are best seen in extremely low light. However, in daylight they show up as white dots and work quiet nicely.

Hey JD,
    Still kind of new at this as this is my first 1911.What is 10-8 and who makes them? Read about those here before on DC but have no idea where to get them. Is that something I can do or dose a gunsmith have to take care of? Again still learning, kind of like the kid in the classroom afraid to ask a question for fear of being laughed at. But thats the only way I know how learn something I dont know already.

Regards,
    TC

Personally I won't have a defensive gun without night sights. Not familiar with what JD is talking about above, but pretty sure if he's recommending them the are probably pretty darn good. I have Meprolight, Trijicon (I'm a big fan of their products), and I just bought my first set of TruGlo TFO sights. Gotta say the TruGlo is the most amazing night/fiber optic sight I've seen. During the day the brighter the light the brighter the fiber optics appears. I mean these things just glow a bright green in full sunlight. It's absolutely amazing to see. In low light the tritium is somewhat brighter the the other two night sights. I think I have found my new night sight of choice and highly recommend them.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

JD
    Administrator
    TC, here's a link to 10-8 Sights, now regarding your gun and sight installation, does you loaded all ready have night sights? Post 2001 Loaded models should be equipped with night sights from the factory. Pre-2001 Loaded models did not have night sights and the front sight was staked on, not dovetailed. I would suggest having the sights installed by a professional until you learn more about what's needed.

Regarding night sights, I don't feel they are a must, most of my guns have them, but they came with them. As for TFOs, they are a pretty neat sight, but have/had a reputation for being fragile, that may have been sight/model specific, but I've read accounts of them not holding up well.

I'm not overly fond of three dot sights, and the more newer shooters I talk to, the more I realize people have no idea what the purpose of those dots are, but that's topic for another thread.

Most of my guns have Heinie sights, but those require a different sight cut than what is standard on a Springfield Loaded which should have a rear Novak sight cut to start with.

OD*
    JD, do you prefer the rounded sight notch of the 10-8, to the square notch of the similar Yost/Harrison Extreme Service rear sight?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

An FYI, I recently went through the journey of putting new night sights on my SA Loaded 1911, be certain you get sights designed to work with the Novak cuts in your pistol's slide. A lot of 1911 sights will not work with them.

That being said, I went with a set of Novak Night Sights, and am very happy with them. However, for the money, your best deal may be to go with SA's custom shop, installing their night sights, which, if I recall, is about $125 to get the sights, and them installed. You can call or e-mail them to get the details.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    JD, do you prefer the rounded sight notch of the 10-8, to the square notch of the similar Yost/Harrison Extreme Service rear sight?
    The jury is still out on that.

JD,
    First thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Alot of great people on this site and have learned a heck of more then I thought I already knew. As far as the Springer goes, it came with Fixed Low Profile Combat Rear sites, Dovetail Front 3
    Dot White which I dont like. Bought the pistol in May, no indication manufacturing date but I would guess its after 2001.
    I know everyone has personal preferences, just looking for a starting point as not to waste to much money if possible(saving for and EMP).If knowing this info has changed your opinion on sights please let me know.
    Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Regards,
    TC

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tclance View Post
    JD,
    First thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Alot of great people on this site and have learned a heck of more then I thought I already knew. As far as the Springer goes, it came with Fixed Low Profile Combat Rear sites, Dovetail Front 3
    Dot White which I dont like. Bought the pistol in May, no indication manufacturing date but I would guess its after 2001.
    I know everyone has personal preferences, just looking for a starting point as not to waste to much money if possible(saving for and EMP).If knowing this info has changed your opinion on sights please let me know.
    Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Regards,
    TC
    What don't you like about the three dots?

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    here is the Heine Straight Eight on my VBOB (on the left). I like the Trijicon insert on the rear sight. Helps with low and no light alignment. Much prefer this set up over the Novak style sights on the CCO beside it.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I also do not have a need for night sights. Have nothing against them, and have a few pistols that have them from the factory.

Now, where I differ is I like the 3 dot sights. Way back in the late 70's, I used to take white fingernail polish and put a dot on each side of my rear sight, and also bead the front sight with it on my squirrel rifle. The black front sight would get lost in contrast to the rear sights in the early morning foliage. Doing it this way, I could pick up the front sight.

I have found that I still prefer this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    That Novak gold bead front sight sure is classy, and expensive.

Links