Barrel length accuracy

This is a discussion on Barrel length accuracy within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at getting an SP101 and am curious as to the difference in accuracy between the 2" and 3" versions. I know that ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By glockman10mm

Thread: Barrel length accuracy

Barrel length accuracy

I am looking at getting an SP101 and am curious as to the difference in accuracy between the 2" and 3" versions.

I know that the longer the barrel the greater the accuracy but how much does one inch make on a snubbie?
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

2. Remove Ads

A general rule of thumb is about 50 fps per inch, so you will gain a little with the 3" SP101, a gun which I just happen to own. You can visit the website www.ballisticsbytheinch.com to learn more on the subject.
    God bless our troops!

Barrel length has nothing to do with accuracy, it's the longer sight radius you get with the barrel.

Now to be technical, it has been long understood, that a short barreled rifle used with a scope, displays better accuracy due to the stiffer barrel that is promoted by it's shorter length. It " vibrates " more consistentley than a longer barrel.

In handguns of course this hardly matters, just FYI .
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Whoops my bad! I misread your thread and thought you were asking about velocity instead of accuracy. I need to go to bed early tonight. I had a 2" SP101 and then went with the 3" one because I could handle it a bit better and thus shoot it a bit more accurately. Put both in a Ransom rest and there probably isn't one iota of difference in accuracy. Having said that I would go with what feels more comfortable to you.
    God bless our troops!

I chose the 3" SP101 for a little more sight radius and a bit more weight...and it does not effect the concealment of the gun at all.
    Is it a big difference? No, but it doesn't hurt.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Remember the barrel lengths are 2 1/4" vs. 3 1/16". So there is 13/16" difference between the two barrel lengths.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    The difference in mechanical accuracy is probably so small as to be unmeasurable, but the difference in accuracy made by the additional inch in sight radius is, I think, fairly significant. Also, a .357 from a 3" barrel performs substantially better than that from a 2.25" barrel.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Agree with the above. To add, since I assume this is a SD weapon that would be used at close range, the one pulling the trigger will determine accuracy. Go with what feels better to you. I have the 3 in. model and have been happy with it, plenty accurate at 15 yds and less, but it certainly isn't a target gun.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Yeah, I've been leaning more towards the 3" .357 SP101. I figure a little bit larger gun will help with .357 recoil.

Thanks for the info, this forum is always a great repository of gun knowledge.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Administrator
    I got to agree that the longer sight radius is what makes the difference, not the barrel length. And with that, the sight radius isn't going to make much difference either with a gun like the SP101. Its a close quarters fighting type pistol, meant more for a point and shoot style of combat.

But, the extra 13/16 of an inch does make a difference in the recoil and controllability IMO. A little extra heft on the front end of a 357 is almost always a welcomed thing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

your accuracy isn't going to change so much as to be noticeable but the 3 would be better for 357 although I know a guy with the 2 and another with the 3 and both claim that they can shoot 357 all day long.
    The only Difference between the vanquished and victorious is resolve.

Ignorance is correctable, stupid aint.

It's peanutbutter jelly time

I have to agree re the 3". While I lean toward heavier models, I have long believed that the 3 to 3-1/2" .357 is the ideal fighting revolver that is also concealable. That's why I have carried them for over 45 years. The amount of additional sight radius benefit will vary with the individual. To some it will be significant, to others less so. The advancement of age and sight issues will only increase the benefit.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

It obviously is the longer site radius that makes the difference, but it takes a longer barrel to get that longer radius.....just sayin.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Links