Anyone else not happy with Rem Oil?

This is a discussion on Anyone else not happy with Rem Oil? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been lubing my Glock with Rem Oil, and have been noticing a few days later that its completely dry. Last night I lubed with ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Anyone else not happy with Rem Oil?

I've been lubing my Glock with Rem Oil, and have been noticing a few days later that its completely dry. Last night I lubed with Rem Oil, and manually cycled a whole mag of rounds. When I was finished moments later, the barrell and slide was almost completely dry. Surely, this isn't supposed to be like this. Anyone else unhappy or even have good views on Rem Oil? Also, I've heard good stuff about Gun Butter? Anyone tried it?
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

Rem oil burns off too quickly. I use either FP-10 (Firepower 10) or Mobil 1 Motor Oil. Both work great and do not burn off in the Florida heat. Don't laugh about the Mobile 1....best gun lube you can get for $6 a quart at Walmart..
    crue2009 and StormRhydr like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I'm using M-Pro7 and it works well.
    Azchief likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

I'm hide-bound and have stuck with my old cleaning lub'ing favorites for eons but tried some Rem-oil about 6 months ago. Isn't it the one that smells so hideous? I had to give it away because I couldn't stand the odor.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Moderator
    Make sure you shake the can first. If you dont, you'll get mostly propellent that dries very quickly.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I've heard about the Mobil-1.... just seems so sketchy! HotGuns: could be the problem. I've never shaken it.

Anyone used Gun Butter?
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by trainercb View Post
    I've heard about the Mobil-1.... just seems so sketchy!
    I used to think the same, I was speaking with a local AR manufacturer and he kind of opened my eyes to new thinking. He pointed out that companies spend millions and millions to engineer motor oil that is essentially working under the same conditions that your gun will be.

Tried Rem-Oil on the hunting guns and wasn't impressed with any of its lubricating properties. CLP is my go-to lube with other formulations available for special purposes.
    Guest1 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

mix 1 quart 10w30 mobil 1, 1 can synthetic ATF, 1 can STP oil teatment.... to make it CLP, add 1 bottle of hoppes #9 to the STP bottle and shake to remove the rest of the STP, then pour it in the rest of the mix...

Distinguished Member
    I use Weapon Shield, great lube and smells like cinnamon.
    RemMod597 likes this.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I lube all my slides and bolts with "white lithium grease". 3 bucks a tube at any auto parts store.
    I figure if it will withstand the heat of a wheel bearing, it will hold up to anything I can put it through.
    I do use Mobil 1 synthetic to wipe down all metal parts after cleaning for rust prevention.
    Just my $.02

I do remember my Dad always used "Marvo Mystery Oil" for all his gun needs, cleaning and lubricating.
    Last edited by Stubborn; August 24th, 2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: additional thought
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have never tried Rem Oil. I prefer to use Break-Free CLP and cotton patches for the majority of my gun cleaning, including barrels and chambers. This is because it's pretty cheap and a large can lasts a long time. If I need something more heavy duty I'll use a cleaner/degreaser like Hoppe's No. 9 or something similar. Afterward I wipe everything down with some Mil-Comm MC2500, and apply MC3000 to the rails and contact surfaces. I have never felt the need to try automotive oil like Mobil 1 but I'm sure that would work just fine on the cheap.
    Guest1 likes this.
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Quote Originally Posted by trainercb View Post
    I've heard about the Mobil-1.... just seems so sketchy! HotGuns: could be the problem. I've never shaken it.

Anyone used Gun Butter?
    for $6 for a quart, what do you have to lose. Give it a try for youself. Nothing sketchy about it, and lose the RemOil. If you store your guns for any length of time and only use Remoil, you will
    find ABSOLUTELY nothing on the gun in a month regardless of temp.....also the beginnings of rust on blued guns.....not so with Mobil 1 or any of the other fine gun lubes mentioned here.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Rem Oil is silicon based. Just because its dry doesent mean it is not protecting. I like to use it for a quick wipe down on the OUTSIDE of the slide and barrel. Glocks do not need very much lube. When I do a complete cleaning I like to use Ballistol. It seasons the metal and works very well.

I use a non-silicon based oil in the barrel such as CLP or Ballistol. There is no residual fouling left in the barrel from the burning of the silicon. Especially in my muzzleloaders.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    I do remember my Dad always used "Marvo Mystery Oil" for all his gun needs, cleaning and lubricating.
    It's "Marvel" by the way, and my dad swore by it too. Used it for everything. I'm not too impressed with RemOil and have pretty much settled on 3-in-1 oil. When that runs out, I've got plenty of syn. engine oil in the garage. Anything that keeps my auto engine running 240,000 miles with no internal engine issues should work as a gun oil. Too many people think their firearms read the marketing schemes also.
    Stubborn, Hoganbeg and StormRhydr like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links