XDM

XDM

This is a discussion on XDM within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After throwing a good whine about 9mms last week, I went to the shoot last Sunday. Did ok, not great but not lousy. Well, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: XDM

XDM

After throwing a good whine about 9mms last week, I went to the shoot last Sunday. Did ok, not great but not lousy. Well, I talked to a friend that is quite a bit quicker than me. We are about the same for accuracy. He runs an XDM 9mm. After the shoot, he offered to let me run a magazine through it. I said sure, why not. Never messed with an XDM. He set up a standard IDPA target at about 15 yards. The head had no holes, so that was to be the bull. I ran about four to get a feel for the (very nice) trigger. Then doubles to empty the magazine. And empty it I did. What a honey! Smooth and as accurate as my 229. Next day, down to the local shop. He had a 3.8, but I wanted the full size. Should be here next week. But what he does have in stock is Ranger-T 124 grain +P ammo, 22 bucks for 50. Grabbed a couple of boxes. Good to have a 9 again.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Congrats
    The XDM is a great gun! I have a fullsize 40sw. But, I'm looking at buying a XDM compact 9mm.

Be sure to check out the XDTalk forum. Much like DC, it has a bunch of top notch members.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    I ran about four to get a feel for the (very nice) trigger.
    Either this gun was special or we have a different definition of very nice triggers. The one I fired felt like a standard XD, that is to say that trigger was so mushy I thought the sear might be made out of marshmallows.
    Cuda66 likes this.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Love my XDM 9mm 3.8 Compact, to me the trigger is awesome and crisp - congrats on the purchase, enjoy!

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I've been a shooter of XDms since "day one" of my life in "the gun world."

My XDm9, full-size, is my current main range/class gun, and pulls double-duty in my upstairs quick-access safe. I'm thinking about getting another (one is currently my true-EDC) XDm9 3.8 Compact and putting it there, instead, so that the full-size can officially become my true "class-gun," and I won't have to worry about returning it to that location every time.

That gun, though, has a nicely tuned trigger, courtesy of the friend of mine who sold the gun to me.

To me, the stock XDm trigger - including that on the 5.25, which I took the "test Drive" just this past week - isn't all that great...but it's also not all that bad. It is somewhat mushy feeling, to me, and there is a bit of creep, but as with what many have said, the latter becomes all but un-noticeable even in the mild stress of a training run. I find the stock trigger's weight, travel, and reset to all be decent, and it is what I have on my carry gun.

But certainly, I like my worked full-size's trigger much better. My friend knows his way around guns, and he truly did a great job with this one. It's a tad light for carry, though, IMHO - and with little take-up, it's hard to "take back" a shot, once you've started pressing towards the rear. I like that with my carry gun, I can back-off much more easily. To wit, with "bump drills," I'm usually among the first to light-off a shot, along with the guys who are using 1911s, when using my worked full-size...not because I'm impatient, but because I really don't have that much trigger travel to work with.

At longer ranges, during the "test Drive," I found myself really liking the 5.25 - but I actually was able to match it shot-for-shot with my worked full-size, simply due to the trigger alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    Either this gun was special or we have a different definition of very nice triggers. The one I fired felt like a standard XD, that is to say that trigger was so mushy I thought the sear might be made out of marshmallows.
    I know what you mean but something about that mushy trigger makes for an extremely easy trigger to operate quickly and accurately for me. Anyone else, thoughts?

My XD40sc has a light yet crisp trigger out of the box.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    My XD40sc has a light yet crisp trigger out of the box.
    Same here!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    I know what you mean but something about that mushy trigger makes for an extremely easy trigger to operate quickly and accurately for me. Anyone else, thoughts?
    Try the Springer or Powder River trigger kits.

It makes a world's worth of difference.

I shoot my class/range full-size (with Springer components) a decent bit. Since November of '10, she's seen just under 12K rounds - and by next weekend, that'll go to 13K. My carry 3.8 Compact (bought in late January of this year; stock trigger) has seen right around 5K to 6K rounds.

VIP Member
    This is the truth, I briefly had the XD9c, and an XDm 3.8c and they were both pretty mushy. Mushy seems to go hand in hand with polymers. I put the apex kit in my M&P's and the 3.5 connectors in my Glocks to make them a bit better.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    Try the Springer or Powder River trigger kits.

It makes a world's worth of difference.

I shoot my class/range full-size (with Springer components) a decent bit. Since November of '10, she's seen just under 12K rounds - and by next weekend, that'll go to 13K. My carry 3.8 Compact (bought in late January of this year; stock trigger) has seen right around 5K to 6K rounds.
    Allready planning on it along with getting the slide plated in one of those slick looking nickel alloys. My B day is approaching!

I was SOOOOO close to buying a 3.8 XDm compact when I was looking for a new auto.. The only thing that stopped me is that for the size it weighs a ton.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

^ It's thick, too.

The weight doesn't bother me, but the thickness becomes a problem when, as my wife likes to say, I have to "dress like an adult."

My alternate-carry is a Kahr PM9. It's smaller, lighter, and noticeably slimmer in profile.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    This is the truth, I briefly had the XD9c, and an XDm 3.8c and they were both pretty mushy. Mushy seems to go hand in hand with polymers. I put the apex kit in my M&P's and the 3.5 connectors in my Glocks to make them a bit better.
    In my opinion a glock with a 3.5lb connector has a less distinct break than one with the stock connector.
    I collect ammo, not guns.

VIP Member
    In my opinion a glock with a 3.5lb connector has a less distinct break than one with the stock connector.
    It's a touch of a trade off for a lighter pull.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links