I may give up on .45ACP

I may give up on .45ACP

This is a discussion on I may give up on .45ACP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I had a RIA 1911 for a couple years and just didn't warm up to it. It functioned fine, but I just wasn't much ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: I may give up on .45ACP

I may give up on .45ACP

So I had a RIA 1911 for a couple years and just didn't warm up to it. It functioned fine, but I just wasn't much for carrying it although it carried just fine. I never seemed to develop good accuracy with it either.

I had a Glock 30, and it was just to thick to carry, I didn't like the sights, and I didn't shoot it particularly well.

So I sold both of those and picked up a Taurus PT845. Lots of features I like and not bad to carry. I shot it this weekend, and I'll be darned if I don't shoot it worse than my previous two .45s. I also just didn't care for the way it shot.

So, now I'm down to considering several options.

1) Give up on .45ACP all together.

2) Pick up a Springfield 1911 with 3-dot sights (still nto wild about 1911s for CCW).

3) Pick up a Springfield XDm in .45ACP.

I have a springfield XD40sc that I really like and shoot really well, so I'm thinking IF I continue with .45, perhaps the wise thing to do is stick with a platform that I already know and like. Of course, if I get out of .45 all together, that's one less round (and an expensive round) to buy.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

At least give a 4" 1911 a try before you give up on the platform all together. I love carrying mine.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

maybe move on to 10mm :)

Before you give up on 45ACP try out a Glock 36.

May be rent one at the range or something.

As to the RIA 1911, have one great gun great club for head knocking but I just can not master carrying it concealed.

Went with the Glock 36 and am very happy.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

It seems odd that you would shoot the snappy .40 out of a subcompact better than a .45. It also seems odd that you would not be accurate with the SA trigger of a 1911. Not sure what to make of that.

I'd suggest giving your current .45 more time, and practice with it more...if you really think you need a .45.

Of course, I care more about the GUN that fits my needs, than the caliber that it shoots. If you are happy with your .40, I see no real need for a .45. I have 9mm and .380 handguns - no .40 or .45 - and am quite happy with them.

Good luck!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    It seems odd that you would shoot the snappy .40 out of a subcompact better than a .45. It also seems odd that you would not be accurate with the SA trigger of a 1911. Not sure what to make of that.

I'd suggest giving your current .45 more time, and practice with it more...if you really think you need a .45.

Of course, I care more about the GUN that fits my needs, than the caliber that it shoots. If you are happy with your .40, I see no real need for a .45. I have 9mm and .380 handguns - no .40 or .45 - and am quite happy with them.

Good luck!
    I find it strange as well. I have a .44 magnum that I shoot very well, as I do multiple .357 Magnums, .38 specials (one a DAO airweight), and multiple 9mms...but my ability with the .45 seems to elude me. So I ask myself the same question...why? Not only why this caliber eludes me, but why bother? I have a safe full of guns I usually shoot very well and any one of them (regardless of caliber) will serve me well. That's why I'm thinking about just getting out of the .45 caliber all together. 9mm is cheap to shoot, and .40 isn't too far behind. Heck, even .38 and .357 have gotten ridiculous in my neck of the woods...and I love both of those calibers.

I say check out the XDM 45 if you really want to stick with the caliber. I've handled one and it seemed like a fine pistol. I almost couldn't believe it was a double stack. (I'm perfectly happy with my Glock 26 though.)

JD
    Administrator
    Which Rock Island did you have? If it was a GI style model, the sights are quite lacking...other than that, it's the Indian, not the bow & arrow.I don't shoot Glocks that well, it's not the caliber, it's me not putting in the effort to get used to them.

Here is your answer:

"I have a"
    springfield XD40sc
    "I really like and shoot well.................."

Why not try a 45 ACP? Stick with a platform you know and like?

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I have 2 RIA's, one's a compact and the other a full size. I carry the compact on a regular basis and it hits whatever I aim at. For whatever reason, I'm not as accurate with the full size. The compact is much easier to conceal and carries well with a good holster.

The change in shooting ability can be attributed to the difference between single action and double. I once had a Kahr CW9 and couldn't hit the side of a barn from the inside. When I moved to a 1911 with the light single action trigger, I 'suddenly' got better.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

I love my 1911's my 3" kimber carries and shoots fine although I am better with my full size. If you are more comfortable with your XD40 why not stick with it. 40 is certainly adequate for SD and if that is what you shoot best why fight it?

Look for a Sig 220, in the Carry or Compact version. There are some great ones to be had out there for decent deals if you look. The 220 is one of the most accurate out of the box 45s I have ever shot.

NEW SIG SAUER P220 ELITE COMPACT SAO : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I agree try a glock 36, maybe that will solve it
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Here is your answer:

I have a "springfield XD40sc"
    I really like and shoot well..................

Why not try a 45 ACP? Stick with a platform you know and like?
    This!
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Which Rock Island did you have? If it was a GI style model, the sights are quite lacking...other than that, it's the Indian, not the bow & arrow.I don't shoot Glocks that well, it's not the caliber, it's me not putting in the effort to get used to them.
    It was a 5" GI model. Yes, the sights were a bit lackluster. I didn't really care for the 1911 platform in a carry gun, and if it was going to be a range gun I preferred something that shot a round that was less expensive to shoot. I didn't put the effort into the Glock either. The gun felt good in my hand and I liked how it shot, but the slide was just too thick for me to carry. The top didn't taper at all. So why get used to shooting something that I wasn't going to carry?

I've got 16 handguns, and I've been shooting since I was a kid. Most guns I have been able to figure out within my first 25 rounds through them...the .45s I've had not so much. My subcompacts, no problems. My snubbie revolvers, no problems. .44 Magnum, no problem. The 3 .45s I've had, I just seem to get worse.

I'm leaning towards just sticking with what I have and know and having to buy one less caliber. If I didn't shoot my xd40sc so well and it carries so easy, I'd be tempted to get out of .40 too and just have 9mm semi-autos. I carry revolvers half the time anyway. I shoot them better than anything, of course for close to 30 years that was all I shot.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links