New CCW needs advice 1911's / .45's etc.

This is a discussion on New CCW needs advice 1911's / .45's etc. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good evening all, I'm a new concealed carrier, I currently have a S&W M&P .40c. I shoot it well; however, I want to move in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New CCW needs advice 1911's / .45's etc.

Good evening all,

I'm a new concealed carrier, I currently have a S&W M&P .40c. I shoot it well; however, I want to move in the 1911 frame and possibly turn one of them into my all-time carry.

I wanted some advice on the pros/cons of carrying a 1911 vs a polymer handgun. I also want to move to .45acp cartridge. I am looking at a couple of the very small 1911 frames, Para Ordanance Warthog and Kimber Ultra Carry II. It seems at the moment that Warthog may have the upper hand due to double stack, although I can't seem to find the width measurements for the Warthog. IF its a lot more than 1.28'' which is what the Kimber is, I'll have to put the slim hog in instead.

To sum everything up, is there a downside to carrying 1911 frames as opposed to a polymer frame?
    If there are not many negatives, which compact carry .45acp would you lean towards? I don't mind bias opinions, just want information in general.

Thanks guy!

Blue

There will always be weight, but that is not that big of a deal with the proper holster and belt. If I were going to carry a small 1911, I would get the Colt Commander with an aluminum frame, and at the very least a Colt Defender.

And yes my opinion is biased. If it doesnt have the Rampant Pony on it, its not the real deal. If you like to deep sea fish, the Para will make an excellent sinker.
    IsaiahM33 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    There will always be weight, but that is not that big of a deal with the proper holster and belt. If I were going to carry a small 1911, I would get the Colt Commander with an aluminum frame, and at the very least a Colt Defender.

And yes my opinion is biased. If it doesnt have the Rampant Pony on it, its not the real deal. If you like to deep sea fish, the Para will make an excellent sinker.
    Thank you for your opinion, I didn't even think about the Colt Defender. I think the commander is too big for me (4 1/2 inch barrel iirc?). I didn't get your deep sea fish reference unless you are talking about price. :P

I would say go with a commander or look else where. Officer size 1911's have a reputation for being finicky. Now, that doesn't mean that there are not plenty out there that run without a hitch but if I personally were to carry a 1911 it would be a commander or full size. They just seem to be more reliable. If I were for some strange reason forced to carry a officer size I would go with the Colt Defender that glockman suggested. There are a lot of good choices when you move up to commander size.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

The Officer sized and smaller 1911s are the most troublesome versions. Reliability goes up with the Commander sized amd larger 1911s. Good belt and good holster combination makes carry simple.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

cmb
    I, as many here, carry a full size 1911 nearly everyday, mine is a lightweight frame 32 ozs empty 38-40 loaded... I am average size 6' even about 205lbs and have no trouble concealing it in khaki pants (i wear nice cargos for the extra pockets) and mostly a tucked in polo (golf) style shirt. A good belt is crucial, notice I didn't say expensive, I find very stiff belts made by Dickies and recently by faded glory both at walmart for around 12$ I have had the dickies for just over a year (it is reversible). It is not the barrel length which is hard to conceal but the width of the gun wear it crosses your belt (usually near the trigger guard) and the height of the gun. That said I carry my 1911 now with CMC 10 rd mag which adds an inch, but with the right "cant" (angle of the gun) it doesn't make a difference. I went with the extra rounds cause I love the platform, can conceal it, and it brings its count equal to G30, Taurus 145 type guns. I have no experience with the "micro" 1911's I know many carry them but I like the full size, i have shot the 4" length and its not that I wouldn't mind having some more in the stable I would definitely function check and put plenty of rounds down range... I think modern technology has helped with the reliability but as with any gun you will carry you must be sure of that particular one b/c any mechanical thing could break.

Be sure when you see meaasurements they measure the widest points; on a 1911 that is from the edge of the manual safety to the other edge of the other manual safety if it is an ambi... that adds some decimals because almost all 1911 slides are little less than an inch. they doe the same thing with length and height the farthest poinst which on a 1911 is the back of the beavertail grip safety if so equiped to the front edge of the muzzel... so any way it don't really matter how far down against the side of your butt the barrell goes as long as you can sit, you can move and you can draw it!

That said let me go ahead and advocate for a secondary pistol, with all the small 38's and 380' and 32's and 9mm available it just seems prudent to have a second gun... I also carry at least one reload... so get ya a full size for IWB and a compact for your ankle and carry on!
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!! I have a few 1911's. An OLD colt commander, a couple of Kimber commander sized, and a Kimber Ultra. I like them all. I end up carrying the Kimber Ultra mostly in the summer--I like the lighter weight. I also carry my 4" Kimbers in the winter, when I wear a wool vest most days that is a good cover garment. For carry, either the Ultra (Officers sized) of a lightweght commander sized (4") would make for good carry choices. Good luck with your choices.....
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I liked the idea of a 3'' 1911 frame single stack for all time carry, I'm not sure now though. Seems people have different feelings about feeding issues and what not. I might go with a 4'' barrel instead, I want it to be reliable every-day carry and not just fun to have. One of my biggest problems is my location, its over 85 degrees here like 3/4 of a year.

Welcome! Like you, I new to CC. I started with a Glock 19 and, like you, I want to carry a 45. I like the 1911 and my local gun shop has a Para. When I posted seeking advice on Para the best reply "get two, that is why they are called Para" I've decide to go with the Glock 36. It has less rounds but conceals very well.

I'm not sure what your budget may be but earlier today, I received an email from Bud's Gun's that advertized "New in the box Kimber Ultra Carry II Slatewood Grey with Laser Grips" for $999

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I definitely would pass on the Para, quality has been poor from them and you are losing one of the greatest benefits of the 1911 platform, the slim single stack profile. You are actually better off with a Government, Commander or CCO version (Commander slide with Officer's frame), due to reliability issues inherent with the Officer's Model. Not that there aren't Officer's 1911's that feed well, but the guns overall aren't as reliable. I carry a Government 5" Colt Combat Elite IWB in either a Milt Sparks Summer Special or a CB Super tuck and have no issue's concealing it at all, other than pocket carrying a J Frame it is the easiest piece to conceal that I own. Carrying IWB your biggest issue with concealment isn't barrel length it's in the grip. If you are set on a micro 1911 I had a Kimber RCP from their custom shop that was 100% for over 1000 rounds before I traded it. At the time it was the smallest 1911 on the market with a 3"bbl and chopped beaver tail GS. I didn't like the sighting trench, preferring standard sights instead. But, for a belly gun in .45 it was what it was.

I'd keep the 40C for carry until you become familiar with the change to a cocked and locked 1911. Doesn't sound like much of a change until you are under the "gun". The 40C is a simple draw, point and shoot weapon, but the 1911 takes a bit more skill to master. I went through the same "Gotta carry a single stack .45." I know that when you get the fever for a 1911, ya got the fever, and nothing will stop you, so good luck, and practice. If you are gonna take the plunge, I would looke at a lightweight Commander from Colt or Springfield. Personally, I just like the balance of a 4" 1911 vs the 5". JMO.
    Bombsaway likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    The major issue with a 1911 over a poly gun is weight. Even with a alloy frame there is going to be a substantial weight difference.

I'd recommend a commander size pistol as well. The Springfield Loaded Champion is the first to pop into my head. The Loaded Champion Lightweight is another possibility.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Matthew nailed it. The CCO style is the best of both worlds. I just got a Dan Wesson CCO and a Dan Wesson VBOB. The CCO outshot the VBOB and felt so so sweet with the alloy officers frame and commander slide. the VBOB has a steel frame and is a bit heavier but still has great balance. The bobbed mainspring housing makes it easy to conceal even though it's a government length grip.

Colt also has the Talo edition CCO out. I held one and the weight and balance are perfect for concealed carry.

Also for consideration: the Dan Wesson Guardian. Bobbed MSH, alloy frame and commander slide. As 10mm man mentioned, the Colt LWT Commander (except bobtail). Kimbers Super Carry is another great option with bobbed MSH.

If you want to go old school look into an older Colt LWT Commander. I shot my 1975 model Friday and it felt better than all the new sporty models. Cost me less too.

You got your work cut out for you if you go after 1911's. I've picked up 4 in less than a month and, gosh I want another one. Just do as Zonk mentioned and learn the function of a 1911 and become proficient in sweeping the thumb safety off when you draw. It sounds easy for some but it takes work. Muscle memory is important when your brain is concentrating on keeping you alive and not the mechanical aspects of your pistol.

I'll add this. The 1911 models I have feel lighter and are thinner than the Glock 29 I have been carrying. One belt notch thinner.

Good luck in your search. It's 90% of the joy in 1911's.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I carry the UC II precisely for its smaller size and easy conceal carry. My other gun, XD-45, was simply too big due to its double-stack configuration. Springfield Loaded is a good option, as well as the Colt Defender. I am a .45 cal type of guy and don't really care about carrying a huge amount of ammo with me. I hope that, if I need it, that I will be accurate and will not need that extra ammo.
    Kimber UC II
    SA XD-45 SC
    1948 16g Remington Model 24
    Mossberg .410g shottie

OP my reference to deep sea fishing and Paras was a kind of joke, that they make better sinkers for fishing than carry guns. But then again..., I was kinda serious.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links