Handgun for a grizzly? - Page 2

Handgun for a grizzly?

This is a discussion on Handgun for a grizzly? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Guantes I prefer either hard cast or FPJ to SJSP for bears, we have both kinds (black & griz). Makes mucho sense ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Handgun for a grizzly?

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I prefer either hard cast or FPJ to SJSP for bears, we have both kinds (black & griz).
    Makes mucho sense, I load what was available to me the last time that I bought .44mag ammo, hence the softer round...and...since the recoil is painful enough that I won't shoot the darn thing unless it's an emergency, I'll most likely have these rounds for a long time...
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I have shot one bear in my life, a 200 pound black bear. Shot him through the shoulders with a 200 grain nosler partition redlined hand load out of a 30/06 at about 35 yards.

He went down at the shot the got back up and was moving when I hit him again! Went down for keeps that time.

If I was really worried about a grizzly or brown bear I would carry a .30 cal. rifle at the minimum and would more than likley carry my .375 H&H.

I know bears have been killed with the .22 lr. round and a grizzly or brown in Alaska this year with a .45 acp and one was killed in defence near yellowstone park last year with a .41 magnum.

I have killed around 30 thin skined whitetails & know even with a well placed shot sometimes they can go a long ways, yeah most of the time they will drop at the shot but sometimes for what ever reason they will not!
    I just hate to think what a pissed off 700 lb. bear might do when my "magnum" handgun rounds dident do anything but piss him off some more!

Im afraid by the time the bear died of his wounds I would be hunting in the "happy hunting grounds".

After saying all that I'm sure I'll bring home some giant magnum handgun someday soon & when my wife asks "why do we need that"? I will say

"For protection from grizzlys".

Capt Smith knows his irons. No handgun is reliable. Ever see a bear run? I sure have. Been charged by a black bear sow. Had a 300 slung. Even in my hands, I would never have hit that bear. Not stopped it, unless by pure luck. She turned, and I shook for 1/2 hour. That's a black, not a griz. They run fast, faster than any horse, and the body rolls as it runs. The skull is perfectly shaped to deflect bullets. It is a shotgun world. A big handgun may make you feel better, but that's about it. A shotgun is the only way to go in bear country. Some folks like slugs, and if they choose, that's fine. I prefer and insist on shot. Even a trap load. Slugs will hurt a bear awfully bad, make no mistake (if you hit it). But shot in the face will blind it and take away the sense of smell. Right now. Takes less precision, too. I was a hunting guide in Montana for 11 years. What I tell you now is what the outfitter that I worked for taught me. He is 73, still guiding, and knows his business. A guy can do what he wants, but to this day I would throw rocks at any handgun to get a shotgun in bear country. A handgun can kill it, but probably not immediately. The bear may bleed out an hour later, but you don't really care anymore. I only offer my opinion, but that opinion is backed up by 16 years hunting in western Montana, guiding for and learning from one of the most knowledgeable hunters in the state. Be plumb honest, I would take a can of bear spray over a handgun. More reliable and lighter to pack. Best of luck to you, whatever you do.
    Secret Spuk, chrisg and aznav like this.

Handgun for a grizzly?
    A. Listen to Multistage.
    B. Desert Eagle 50AE?
    RevolvingMag likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Smith and Wesson Model 29 .44 Mag for Black Bears or Grizzlies... but a S&W .500 Mag is better...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

VIP Member
    If your going into grizzly country you need 2 things. Handgun in a minimum caliber of .4 Mag, and a companion you can outrun!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for all the input! I watched a documentary where a forester was dedicated to protecting grizzlies. On camera, he had to kill a charging grizzly. And, yes, it was a shotgun with slugs. Dropped that sucker midstream.Then we went off and cried. Honest. So, as soon as I learn how to legally cut my Mossberg 590 down to twenty inches and stuff it in my backpack, I'll be hitting the happy trails again...
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

For black bears a handgun is adequate enough. As long as you go .357 mag or better. I know many people that bow hunt for black bears, and many others who use .243s to kill them. Black bears are pansies. They go down as easily, if not easier, than whitetail deer.

In another thread, there was a video of a guide in Alaska with his clients floating down a river and running into mama with her cubs. She charged the boat immediately, and the guide pulled out his handgun and fired it in front of the bear. The attack was ended, and no one was hurt. Might that be an exception, sure, but the handgun was the tool used.

A handgun is better than nothing, and everything I've read/heard shows bear mace to be more effective when dealing with grizzlies. So, with that in mind, I would suggest bear mace be carried around for them, and a gun for two legged predators. I'm just glad to be dealing with black bears instead of grizzlies.

Just don't forget toilet paper and baby wipes. If ya make it, your gonna need'em.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    While there are no guarantees, this would seem to indicate that at times even large bears can be turned with a handgun.

Bear Attack Easton Bowhunting TV - YouTube
    WOW! She came out of nowhere. I guess ya gotta figure if the cubs are there, that mama can't be too far. I couldn't imagine the fear of seeing that bear charging like that. Very scary.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Cool

Sure it's a handgun.

It has a pistol grip.

P26093812.jpg
    click image to enlarge.....
    wmhawth likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I don't have any recent experience living in bear-country (I now live in gator-country), but I'd probably go with a 10mm Glock. High power, high cap and lightweight. Shot placement is the key, though. I remember a family trip up to the NWT as a kid and the pamphlets emphasized shooting the neck/shoulder, as their cranium is too thick for head shots.
    I think I should be able to claim my guns as dependents on my taxes. I have to clothe them, feed them, clean them when they get dirty, keep them safe from bad people...

cj
    Since you asked about handgun...

My uncle was a bear hunting guide in Alaska for many years. He mentioned that he carried a .454 Cassull as a last ditch, "Up the nose" option should a bear somehow get close to a group of people with rifles.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Handgun??? I love a .44 and Black bear thats cool, but I think for Grizzly I am taking a 454, 460, or 500. Only as a packup bear country I am taking a tactical shotty with slugs as a primary.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links