Handgun for a grizzly?

This is a discussion on Handgun for a grizzly? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In grizzly country, I won't carry anything short of a 12ga. with 3" magnum hard-cast slugs if I have a choice....

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Handgun for a grizzly?

Distinguished Member
    In grizzly country, I won't carry anything short of a 12ga. with 3" magnum hard-cast slugs if I have a choice.
    Last edited by Xader; August 30th, 2011 at 05:43 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Best for bear defence would be BEAR SPRAY, everone carry a large can . If you ask this question in alaska that will be the answer more times than not first given. Then a shot gun with slugs. That would assume you have time to cover your butt. When a grizzly ran run up to 40mph not much to react.
    Cory1022 likes this.

S&W 500 or Ruger 500 were designed for that, but I'm inclined to agree that they are probably so violent to shoot, you may not get a follow-up shot on target, especially if it's charging at you. I personally would carry the shotgun (a fast autoloader) and a .45acp 1911A1 loaded with some Hornady Critical Defense Ammo. There's not many things a .45 won't knock down (designed to stop islanders from lopping off the heads of Marines-hence the leather collars-Leathernecks-that were hopped up on coco leaves (cocain). Pretty much anywhere they took a hit, they got knocked down. Add that to rapid follow-up of about 8 rounds accurately delivered and the bear would probably be toast. Most of those big guns are gonna kick-back or raise up so much, it's hard to use them after the first shot. I've owned some pretty large ones and the S&W Model 29 in .44mag is good, but I would still prefer the 1911. Actually the most knockdown you can get from a cartridge up to that is probably the .45LC or Long Colt round out of a revolver...until you get into the exotics like the .454, .500's ,etc. and the price is about as big as the caliber! If it's so exotic you can't practice regularly with the thing, you are not going to be familiar with it and will probably miss the target.

If I can't have my Remington 870 Magnum, I at least want a 44 Mag or 454 Casull.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    Only if the Grizzly has the proper permits and I think they should Open Carry so as to not disadvantage the rangers. :)
    Oh, great, V8. So now we are going to start another post war on whether grizzlies should open carry or conceal carry.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Sure it's a handgun.

It has a pistol grip.

Attachment 52921
    click image to enlarge.....
    Ewwwww, dat nice!!!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Just don't forget toilet paper and baby wipes. If ya make it, your gonna need'em.
    Seriously! And, funny, I DO carry them. The little baby wipe packets are great.

Handgun? Nothing less than a 44 Magnum but I would prefer a .458 SOCOM 225px-458SOCOM.jpg
    I think The ,458 is what I will hunt Bigfoot with when I get my expedition together. I love the AR platform and like the ballistics of a heavy up to 600gr bullet. Just something about putting a thumb size hole in anything that says it will slow it down.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGiant View Post
    Handgun? Nothing less than a 44 Magnum but I would prefer a .458 SOCOM 225px-458SOCOM.jpg
    I think The ,458 is what I will hunt Bigfoot with when I get my expedition together. I love the AR platform and like the ballistics of a heavy up to 600gr bullet. Just something about putting a thumb size hole in anything that says it will slow it down.
    That's not a bullet, it's a baseball!

Of course, a baseball at over 600fps would probably do the trick...
    TheGiant likes this.
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Whatever weapon you pick for griz, make sure you save the last round for yourself when all others have failed.
    TheGiant and Secret Spuk like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    Whatever weapon you pick for griz, make sure you save the last round for yourself when all others have failed.
    HARDEHARHARRR!! I'm laughing...sort of!

Why would a grizzly want a handgun?

Well I live in Wyoming and yes we have grizzly in Wyoming. This is just my opinion and that is go to Yellowstone and enjoy it from the roads in your car, there is absolutely no reason to hike in grizzly country. We have millions of acres that are in the mountains not in bear country for hunting, hiking and camping around here so why even venture into these areas? If I absolutely had to venture into bear country than it would be the 12 gauge 870 with 00 buck alternating with slugs and the 44 mag for back up. The wife and I try to visit in Yellowstone area at least once a year and we have seen grizzlies and I like seeing them especially when I'm in the car and they are at least a few hundred yards away. Personally I wouldn't really want to meet one face to face in their territory no matter what I was carrying.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

If grizzly is the problem, I don't think I'm going anywhere with just a pistol, I don't care what the caliber. Shotgun/slug is the ticket ... or, my personal preference, a Marlin guide gun in 45-70, packin' Garrett's Hammerhead +P ammo (Garrett Cartridges Inc.). Hammerheads will rip that bear stem to stern.

Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Oh, great, V8. So now we are going to start another post war on whether grizzlies should open carry or conceal carry.
    No question- they should only OC, so as to not have an even more unfair advantage over the rangers, as well as 'if the doggone bear can OC why can't I???!!'. (And the law would back that attitude )

Quote Originally Posted by TheGiant View Post
    What do you shoot THAT out of? A Howitzer??
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links