Handgun for a grizzly? - Page 4

Handgun for a grizzly?

This is a discussion on Handgun for a grizzly? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I had to chose from what I have in a handgun, it would be .44 mag with Federal Castcore 300 gr. (or more if ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Handgun for a grizzly?

If I had to chose from what I have in a handgun, it would be .44 mag with Federal Castcore 300 gr. (or more if I found some)
    Other than that, if it was long gun it would either be 12 ga. slugs or .375 H&H. My 12 ga. pump will load faster though so I would probably go with that.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I look at it like this. I wouldn't go hiking through the jungle for pleasure when there's the possibility of a squad of enemy looking for me, so why would I hike through Grizzly country. They own it and if they want you, you belong to them. The last thing I read about an attack was a guy was looking for a wounded Grizzly and it attacked him from ambush. Yeah, from ambush! It was on him so fast he couldn't get his handgun pointed at it before his head was in it's jaws. Long gun would not have fared any better. I say IF you do it anyway, travel in pairs bith armed and a few feet apart so one of you has a chance to protect the other.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by druryj View Post
    Why would a grizzly want a handgun?
    Dru, you need to go to your room without dinner and don't come out until I say so.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    I look at it like this. I wouldn't go hiking through the jungle for pleasure when there's the possibility of a squad of enemy looking for me, so why would I hike through Grizzly country. They own it and if they want you, you belong to them. The last thing I read about an attack was a guy was looking for a wounded Grizzly and it attacked him from ambush. Yeah, from ambush! It was on him so fast he couldn't get his handgun pointed at it before his head was in it's jaws. Long gun would not have fared any better. I say IF you do it anyway, travel in pairs bith armed and a few feet apart so one of you has a chance to protect the other.
    I could not agree more. Even in the somewhat tame Arizona mountains we have black bears and mountain lions. I just try to think of "worst case scenario". I plan to go to Yellowstone in my next life...armed.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    That's not a bullet, it's a baseball!

Of course, a baseball at over 600fps would probably do the trick...
    Great Idea, I will take Randy Johnson into bear country when I go.. also My Taurus 480 ruger with 6 inch barrel and 400 grainers will be my back up in case Randy does miss..

Quote Originally Posted by vstromrider View Post
    Great Idea, I will take Randy Johnson into bear country when I go.. also My Taurus 480 ruger with 6 inch barrel and 400 grainers will be my back up in case Randy does miss..
    Careful, I'll bet Randy Johnson can outrun you. You don't have be that fast, just faster than the slowest guy, so maybe take that really heavy guy as bear bait.
    Cory1022 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    Careful, I'll bet Randy Johnson can outrun you. You don't have be that fast, just faster than the slowest guy, so maybe take that really heavy guy as bear bait.
    Beat me to it. I hike in running shoes, with a slow friend...

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    ...Be plumb honest, I would take a can of bear spray over a handgun. More reliable and lighter to pack.
    +1
    I forget the numbers of the study but I remember the bear spray was multiple times more effective at stopping bears.

I was in Yellowstone at the beginning of this month and did some light hiking in groups, but I was never alone. I don't own a hand cannon/bear gun, but did make sure that I had the hottest, hardest cast 180gr +p 40s&w rounds I could find locally in North Texas in my concealed XD40 when on the trail. I know it's not ideal, and I would have loved something more powerful, but it was the best I could do at the time. I did run 5 mags of the load through the gun without issues just to be sure they functioned before I left. I also had bear spray, as did my wife and 15 y/o son. I did have my 642 with 135gr+p Gold Dots in the pocket as well, but then again, it's always in the pocket.

Then, a week or two after I leave, that guy gets killed by the grizzly not too far from where we were. Scary.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Caliber of a carry handgun is of little importance in Grizzly country. Just file the front sight off so when the Griz shoves it where the sun doesn't shine it won't hurt as bad.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jtmoose View Post
    +1
    I forget the numbers of the study but I remember the bear spray was multiple times more effective at stopping bears.
    I suppose that may be so as long as your not down wind.

OS
    Glockwatcher likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I also was in Yellowstone around the first of the month. We also hiked as a group (7) with two carrying Magnum handguns and one of the two carrying a Super Magnum canister of bear spray. Whoever was carrying and deployed the bear spray would be backed up by the other with a handgun. Fortunately, the adequacy of the tactics were not tested.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by seawolf1956 View Post
    If grizzly is the problem, I don't think I'm going anywhere with just a pistol, I don't care what the caliber. Shotgun/slug is the ticket ... or, my personal preference, a Marlin guide gun in 45-70, packin' Garrett's Hammerhead +P ammo (Garrett Cartridges Inc.). Hammerheads will rip that bear stem to stern.

Seawolf
    Thanks for that, Mr. seawolf1956. Those Hammerheads are quite interesting. It's a little embarrassing, though, to find out that my Super Blackhawk is not up to the task.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory1022 View Post
    Beat me to it. I hike in running shoes, with a slow friend...
    You don't really need a heavy weapon if you are worried about the extra weight. Get yourself a small 22 cal derringer and use it to shoot your hiking partner in the leg if the need arises. That way you do not have to worry about someone who will slow you down on your hike until you actually need him to slow down.

Michael

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links