Handgun for a grizzly? - Page 7

Handgun for a grizzly?

This is a discussion on Handgun for a grizzly? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, have you seen this one? The guy clearly said it was a "lucky shot". From the pics, it appears he planted that cannonball square ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Handgun for a grizzly?

Distinguished Member
    So, have you seen this one? The guy clearly said it was a "lucky shot". From the pics, it appears he planted that cannonball square in its mouth. Whew!!

Twig snap alerts dog-walker to charging grizzly: Bear Attacks | Alaska news at adn.com
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    So, have you seen this one? The guy clearly said it was a "lucky shot". From the pics, it appears he planted that cannonball square in its mouth. Whew!!

Twig snap alerts dog-walker to charging grizzly: Bear Attacks | Alaska news at adn.com
    Kenai sounds like a very dangerous place to live. I think there is quite a bit of human encroachment and obviously not enough to eat when older bears can no longer compete for food with the younger stronger bears. It's been a couple of yrs, so hopefully the powers to be have issued a higher allotment of Griz Tags. Katmai's resident bear population is much more laid back from what I've read due to the bountiful food supply and lack of encroachment. Treadwell's death was supposedly from a transient bear that was very undernourished and not a resident bear.

This was a lucky shot with the 454 casull, otherwise this man would not be around to talk about it. I once read that when your pulse gets over 120 the small muscles in the hand start to become uncoordinated, and at 130 or more the pull becomes a jerk. I would bet this guy now carries bear spray or the marine flare (as used by rangers in Katmai).

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Kenai sounds like a very dangerous place to live. I think there is quite a bit of human encroachment and obviously not enough to eat when older bears can no longer compete for food with the younger stronger bears. It's been a couple of yrs, so hopefully the powers to be have issued a higher allotment of Griz Tags. Katmai's resident bear population is much more laid back from what I've read due to the bountiful food supply and lack of encroachment. Treadwell's death was supposedly from a transient bear that was very undernourished and not a resident bear.
    This was a lucky shot with the 454 casull, otherwise this man would not be around to talk about it. I once read that when your pulse gets over 120 the small muscles in the hand start to become uncoordinated, and at 130 or more the pull becomes a jerk. I would bet this guy now carries bear spray or the marine flare (as used by rangers in Katmai).
    Yes he was lucky, but at least he was smart enough to carry a capable caliber gun and knew how to use it! Myself the 454 would be the minimum for a wheel gun or a 10mm hotly loaded in an auto since that what I normally have on me.

Teenage single malt....

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleycolt View Post
    Yes he was lucky, but at least he was smart enough to carry a capable caliber gun and knew how to use it! Myself the 454 would be the minimum for a wheel gun or a 10mm hotly loaded in an auto since that what I normally have on me.
    From all I've read, here and elsewhere, he could have had a howitzer and not stopped him. It was a literal one in a million shot, falling backwards into the bear's mouth.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

unless I'm mistaken

smith and wesson makes a snubby 500 mag pistol bu I might be wrong
    The only Difference between the vanquished and victorious is resolve.

Ignorance is correctable, stupid aint.

It's peanutbutter jelly time

g20 10mm should do the trick ;)

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

My guess is if you can pack a handgun(legally),a shotgun or Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun should be NO problem. In real Grizz country I wouldn't bank on a handgun alone, but only as a BUG to the long-arm IMHO.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Sponsored Links