Handgun for a grizzly?

This is a discussion on Handgun for a grizzly? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yeah, yeah, I know. The latest Yellowstone grizzly tragedy had me thinking again. When I used to backpack I carried a Taurus titanium .44. Regret ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Handgun for a grizzly?

Distinguished Member

Handgun for a grizzly?

Yeah, yeah, I know. The latest Yellowstone grizzly tragedy had me thinking again. When I used to backpack I carried a Taurus titanium .44. Regret selling it. Anyway, thoughts on a handgun that might have some affect other than really ticking off an already irate bear?
    I chose titanium (snub nose) because even a can of tuna gets awfully heavy after a day in the wilderness.
    Also, many of our hikes were coed and it would not be the first time a woman was dragged out of her tent because of the smell of blood.
    That is not a wives tale. I.e. Is there something out there besides Dirty Harry's long barrel 44 or a 50 cal Desert Eagle? tx,
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

2. Remove Ads

Well, you improved your odds already by getting rid of the Taurus. You dont spit in the wind, tug on Supermans cape, take a knife to a gun fight, or, take a handgun to a Grizzly fight.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Smith and Wesson .500 mag revolver

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Handgun for a grizzly?
    Only if the Grizzly has the proper permits and I think they should Open Carry so as to not disadvantage the rangers. :)
    Hopyard, gasmitty, hk45c and 10 others like this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

I always bring my Ruger Vaquero, 7.5" bbl, loaded with 240 gr SJSP when I'm playing around in bear (Black Bear) country around here. But then I always drive to the camp so I don't have to worry about lugging it around for miles, and it's the most powerful handgun that I own. The only thing I'd really change, if I had the opportunity, would be to trade it for a S&W model 29 (DA instead of SA). I know there are more powerful calibers out there, but these old wrists just won't take that kind of punishment anymore...heck...the only time I even put magnum loads in the thing are when I'm in bear country...the rest of the time it's nice, tame, factory .44 spl for me!
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    .454 Casull. Or .44mag. OR, get a Raging Judge and have the .454, .45LC, AND .410 in one 'small' package.

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Comes in 3", 6", or 8".
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I prefer either hard cast or FPJ to SJSP for bears, we have both kinds (black & griz).
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I would take a big boy hand gun as back up to a long gun

Hmmm...if I was really worried about brown bears, I'd take a shotgun loaded with slugs. Not sure if that is legal to hike around with in whatever area you are going, but if it is, that's what I'd take.

Used to speed march back in the day with full pack, weapon, helmet, gas mask, etc etc - so a leisurely stroll with a light weight 12 gauge shouldn't be that big of a deal.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Packin for grizzly ?...biggest bore, longest barrel, you can handle.....but you should be packin a shotgun...a riot gun with alternate loads of #4 buck then ball slugs...The only way to hunt grizzle is in pairs and you shootem dead..dead..100 maybe 200 yrd away...nobody in thier right mind comes anywhere near these things, and certianly not when they are hurt..they are like Gods unto
    themselves..you have an incounter with a bad bear...your life is on the line...Pro hunters carry for grizzle, and they have powerfull long guns in thier hands...its just that you hit a grizz with #4 that part of its body is going to stop, hopefully...the rest is still on auto-pilot..you will need another shot...not convient to pack a small scabbard for a camp gun ?..listen.. give your self a chance with a bad bear....pack a shotgun or crank up your SA...dont believe that any pistol can save you from a grizzly...it cant
    localgirl and RETSUPT99 like this.

CaptSmith is on the right track.

I read a pretty funny (yet accurate) quote a while back on this topic, said something along the lines of... stopping a charging grizzly with a handgun is like trying to shoot out the headlights of a car coming head on before it hits you. Basically accurate, the best way to stop one cold is the legs (from what I've read in many places). its hard to run if you cant stand and is an easier target than the brain.

Guide gun, .45-70
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

My Handgun says Grizzly on the slide,LAR Grizzly Mark 4 44 magnum,I've never tried to shoot a target while peeing myself yet,but if I saw a Grizzly within 25 yards and it growled at me I'm a quick learner,I been watching Alaska State Troopers,and when they are out in Bear Country they are packin shottys more than likely with slugs
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

While there are no guarantees, this would seem to indicate that at times even large bears can be turned with a handgun.

Bear Attack Easton Bowhunting TV - YouTube
    xXMens ReaXx and Foo909 like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I live in Anchorage, Alaska and carry a S&W 460V for bear protection quite often. As far as handguns go 44's and 454's are the most popular around here. But it's pretty well known that handguns are not going to be as effective a bear stopper as a shotgun or a 45-70.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links