Defensive Carry banner

Looking for a small, single stack 9mm

14K views 65 replies 50 participants last post by  defensive007 
#1 ·
I normally carried my Glock 26 9mm as my EDC. However, with my back getting worse, I could not tolerate the weight shift, so I switched to an LCP. I truly feel way underpowered with it but it is better than nothing. I would like to switch back to a 9mm however, Glock does not make a single stack 9mm or anything small than the 26.

I read one post on a range report the Ruger LC9 and was considering it but I do not think it is going to work for me.

I do not trust Kahrs, Keltecs or Taurus for my EDC. Any suggestions on a small single stack 9mm that you have used, trust and like?

#35 ·
OP - If weight is the issue, you are not going to do any better than the small .380s. The LCP is only 12 oz loaded. By comparison, the PM9 is 20 oz, the Rohrbaugh R9 is about 18 oz.

For the weight, you could about carry two LCPs and be balanced out. Sometimes it isn't the weight, but how it is spread out.

I ran one of my LCPs through a low light class, and am satisfied that I can hit with it under stress. I carry two of them, every waking hour, and with FMJ ammo (for more than adequate penetration) I feel very well protected.

Sometimes, the solution to our problem is something we already have. Just sayin'.

Good luck, and hope your pain issue resolves.

#36 ·
Boy, there can be up to a $100 difference between gun dealers.

Found the best deal at a not so local gun store. They are going to hold a Walther PPS for me until Saturday. Will see if I like it. Would love to wait for that Beretta Nano, but I called Beretta and they had no idea when it would be released.

#42 ·
KelTec PF9 all the way. The lc9 does have a better fit and finish but it also has more thing you don't want. Loaded chamber indicator for one is on the ugly side. Manual safety, although you can leave it out of the way it is difficult to put on and off. I think the intention wasnt for it to be used regularly only to have the option and to meet multiple state requirements (MA,CA). The guns heavier and thicker then the PF9. They are about the exact same size in height and barrel length. The trigger has a better reset on the keltec. They both are snappy and get on target well. The site picture on the is pretty nice. The Keltec will also be less money than the Ruger. The kahr pm9 is really nice but almost triple the price. It is striker fire so the trigger is pretty nice. Long but similar to a glock in the break. Unlike the pf9 and lc9 that has a revolver style hammer fire pull.
The sigs is far to heavy and big for the round capacity im also not a fan of DA/SA triggers. Some people love the Sigs and more power to them but for me its not the right choice. Most other single stack 9's i don't think are worth mentioning. All of the above brands (excluding Sig, cant speak for them) have a great customer support staff associated with them.

#45 ·
I know u were against the lc9 for trigger reasons, but just like a lot of other rugers the trigger will be much better after u put some rounds down range. If u really know u dont want it more power to u and good luck with whatever u get. I personally love mine and as soon as that little paper shows up in the mail I will carry it everywhere.

BigJon

#46 ·
Here's a chart that I found online while looking for a small gun, I was originally going to purchase the lcp but decided on the s&w bodyguard 380. The chart has some 9mm options on it and some specs about each gun too, as well as how many fingers would fit on the grip.

http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

If the link doesn't work you can go to Mouseguns.Com New Index and then click on the "pocket gun chart" link on the left side of your screen. Hope it helps and good luck :)

#50 ·
I would stay away from the lc9 unless you can shoot one first I had one and we didn't get along well ,the gun functioned flawlessly but the ergonomics of the gun didn't fit me well . I have a kahr k40 and I would like to get the k9 cause the 40 feels good and shoots great the k series is a all steel gun no polymer so it is a little heavy but that definately helps with recoil. They say the pm9 and cm9 are real good for their polymer guns and the cw models are good just a little cheaper . I also have a cw40 and its a good shootin gun also . The triggers on the kahrs are long and heavy like the lc9 but not as bad and you can work the trigger and replace springs in the kahr and they feel great after the work . The ruger is what it is and can't be changed.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

#51 ·
I called a local firing range that I know that rents guns. The guy I spoke to, who also seems to be responsible for choosing which guns they will rent out, had nothing but BAD things to say about the Walther PPS. He said never had one and never will. Ugh. We had a good conversation, he is very pro 1911, Glock, Smith and Wesson, etc, but NOT the Walthers. Wow.

#52 ·

Interesting. All the people I've talked to around where I live swear by them. They all say that they are excellent guns but you have to get used to the mag release. I am looking for a lot of the same qualities that you are in a edc 9mm. I have a XD-SC .40 now, and I don't mind carrying it, but it does seem to get a bit uncomfortable after long periods of time.

#59 ·
First off I have to ask why you couldn't trust a Kahr? I carry a CW9 every day and it is a perfectly functioning gun. Accurate as all get out and easy to carry beyond belief. Over 1000 rounds through it of all types and not one single hiccup.

Sig p239. Here's a link to the web page.

P239
I hate to see anyone recommend the p239 to anyone looking for a small single stack 9mm. I owned a p239 in 9mm. The gun is dimensionally almost exactly the same size as my Glock 23! I have pictures where I measured the guns side by side to prove it! I love Sigs but I don't understand the logic behind the p239 at all. If it is the same size as a G23 that holds 13 rounds of .40 cal ammo in the mag why carry a gun that only holds 8 rounds of 9mm?

The p239 should never be considered a small 9mm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.