Defensive Carry banner

Looking for a small, single stack 9mm

14K views 65 replies 50 participants last post by  defensive007 
#1 ·
I normally carried my Glock 26 9mm as my EDC. However, with my back getting worse, I could not tolerate the weight shift, so I switched to an LCP. I truly feel way underpowered with it but it is better than nothing. I would like to switch back to a 9mm however, Glock does not make a single stack 9mm or anything small than the 26.

I read one post on a range report the Ruger LC9 and was considering it but I do not think it is going to work for me.

I do not trust Kahrs, Keltecs or Taurus for my EDC. Any suggestions on a small single stack 9mm that you have used, trust and like?

#3 ·
My first thoughts were Kahr (my PM9 has a flawless 1K rounds on it, since this March or so [nevertheless, it's not my primary carry, it's a truly "occasionally" used alternate]; but I understand and can respect you personal preferences :wink:), Kel-Tec, or Taurus, but those are out. :smile:

How about the Springfield EMP?

Walther PPS?

Rohrbaugh?

#7 ·
I had the same problem. Main carry gun too big. Tried LCP. Then found one in the middle.

I have a Walther PPS that I am currently carrying. My other carry was an M&P9c. It got to be a little big and heavy sometimes. The PPS solved that for me.

I really like the size. It is thin, but still seems to be the same length and height of my other firearms. It allows me to get a normal grip on the gun. No pinky floating around. The trigger also seems very similar to a glock which may be of benefit to you.

I feel no need to look for a smaller pocket pistol now that I own the PPS. It has been nothing but reliable. Feed everything and is plenty accurate. My only complaint is the price of spare magazines.

#33 ·
I bought the Sig 225 polizei new with three magazines for $699. I think I got a steal. I love the feel of that compared to the "too big" 226. I'm not sure I'd call it small. My Kahr PM-9 was totally reliable after 50 rounds or so. I don't even remember what the problem was, it just went away.

My list would be
PM-9
Rohrbaugh R-9
EMP

after that, it falls off fast.
Ruger LC-9
Sig 225
H&K P-30 (not a single stack, but slim)

also consider the Sig 238. Yeah, it's a .380, but has real sights, the slide locks back, and is a soft shooter, actually fun.

#11 ·
its not new, but if you want the Euro version of the P225, a SIG P6, around 350 now at gunbroker, but i believe that is as big as a Glock 19. I would have to recommend the PPS, but the price might drive you away

#15 ·
My wife has a PPS and its been completely reliable. For what its worth though, the Keltec PF9 cost 50% as much and typically are as well. I also never had an issue with the Kahr MK9 I had for a while. I had an LC9 for a bit and sold it. It was also completely reliable, but I hated the trigger, and I think a magazine disconnect on a carry weapon is just plain "dumb".

I mostly carry my LCR .38. Its very reliable being a revolver, and its around the size of a single stack 9mm (and light). I'm willing to sacrifice a couple of rounds to essentially eliminate the chance of a malfunction.

#16 ·
Kahr CW9, CM9 or Keltec PF-9....but you have trust issues? Have you owned any of them and had a bad experience? Walther PPS is a great pistol, but is just as heavy as a G26. Ruger LC9 not to your liking......hmmmmm. Only other option that comes to mind is the Diamondback 9, which looks like a baby Glock, but I don't have a lot of feedback on that one yet. If weight is an issue, I've run out of options for you, my friend. Every other good single stack mentioned above is heavier than your Glock.

#19 ·
Ok, so no Kahrs, Keltecs, or Taurus's. So that leaves the LC9 as you mentioned, Diamondback DB9, Rohrbaugh R9, Sig 290, Springfield EMP, Bersa Thunder 9, and....ok I'm out. Personally the Rohrbaugh is my perfect wishlist gun, ultra concealable, utra quaity, yet still in a 9mm.

#20 ·
I have been researching the Walther PPS. What I like about it is that is seems to be smaller than my baby Glock. Same type of trigger. No safety. Gets rave reviews, etc.

The advantage of being single is that I can spend my money as I wish. That being said, I considered the Sig P290 but did not like the DAO trigger. ($800 too seemed a bit much, but it was a nice pistol. I would spend it on a Sig or other high quality pistol for a reliable EDC) The Ruger LC9 seems to have the same trigger issue. Quality does not seem to be as good as the Walther and the safety and and and. I have fired a Kahr and had nothing but issues with it. Kel-Tec just seems lower quality, too. I need a gun that will go bang every time I pull the trigger. I keep hearing rumors that Glock will be producing a single stack 9mm and that will be released as soon as I buy a different one. So maybe I should just help you guys out. :rofl:

I need to look at this Walther and see how it feels and the weight issue. One reason I am looking for a smaller gun is because I thought it would be lighter, but this does not seem to be the case with the Walther. I know of one place that may possibly rent it, but will have to check it out.

Stay tuned.

#22 ·
Well I certainly wouldn't assume that the higher the price, the better the quality and reliability. My $195 Heritage Rough Rider goes "Bang" every time I pull the trigger. :) The PPS is a nice gun, but its not as light as the LC9, PM9/CM9, or Keltec PF9. The only complaint I have with that gun is you have to remove the backstrap to break it down, which is sort of dumb.

You are in a small minority of people I've ever heard have any issues with Kahr's as of late. They make a very solid gun IMHO. I've read of people having plenty of issues with their $1000 Kimbers and whatnot as well, so whatever was going on with the one you shot I don't believe is typical. My MK9 simply wouldn't fail on any ammo.

The Beretta Nano is coming out very soon, perhaps you might consider that one. My Px4 Storm has had about 2500~ rounds through it give or take, and has never malfunctioned once. If that Nano is 1/2 as reliable as the PX4, I'd carry it...

I have no hesitation carrying my Keltec PF9, and budget is not a concern at all for me. I have plenty of "expensive" guns. I choose what makes sense for the use case basically.

#24 ·
I know the PPS does weight a bit. It does seem to carry a little better still. I like to think that it is the weight staying closer to my body. Who knows.

Anyhow. I still prefer it to the larger carry, less bulky overall. Besides, it has a few less rounds which have to trim off some weight.

In all seriousness, if you could fine a range that rents one you should try it out. My father has a glock 23 (used to be mine) so I shoot a glock often. It is the closest thing I can think of to a single stack glock.

#27 ·
That Beretta Nano looks nice. I would just be a little leery about buying the first run of a anything. I would like to wait at least a year before buying it for them to work the bugs out, see reviews, etc. It is lighter than the Walther PPS and pretty much what I am looking for. Just wish it were already in production for a year.

#28 ·
I agree with you in general, but given my 100% reliability experience with my PX4 which is the first run of that gun bought right when it came out... I may pick up a Nano soon anyway. Any gun can have issues, I've heard of several with the new Glocks as well.

The only one that has been mentioned on this thread that I would absolutely NOT buy is the Diamondback DB9. I've seen a slew of failure reports including one where the guy put 70 rounds thru it before it "blew" the slide off, mailed it back to the manufacturer where they "fixed" it and sent him a free mag for the trouble, then it blew the slide off and broke parts again on the FIRST shot. No thanks...

Again, my Ruger LCR revolver is small, light, and has been totally trouble free as well. I realize some people don't like wheel guns though. Its what I carry mostly because it "just works"...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.