Looking at a used P229

This is a discussion on Looking at a used P229 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking to purchase a used P229 as my first SIG. I have found a used P229 in good condition, two 13rd mags (no ...

Thread: Looking at a used P229

Looking at a used P229

I am looking to purchase a used P229 as my first SIG. I have found a used P229 in good condition, two 13rd mags (no rails). I think it is ~7 years old. Are there things to look out for when buying a used SIG? What would be a fair price?

2. Remove Ads

I have an early P229 with 12 rd mags (bought after market 14 rd mags also) and also no rails... Bought mine before the Obama inspired gun buying craze. Ran me about $425 at that time & it was in 95% condition. It is a GREAT shooter. It came as a 40 cal but I bought a barrel for 357 sig on gunbroker for $75. It was an LE trade-in.

I can tell you this... Sigs like to run wet... Sig recommends Militec as a lubricant. I use Hoppes #9 oil and it runs fine. Great gun but you will be able to tell if she is not lubed enough.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    The P229 is a fine firearm, field strip it and inspect the frame rails, wear is ok, but you don't want to see unfinished aluminum on the frame. The stainless slide running on aluminum frame can cause wear if not lubricated properly. Smilie's on the barrel will be apparent if it was shot some; not a problem. As 357and40 stated Sigs like to run wet, I recommend grease on the rails rather than oil due to the steel on aluminum issue.

I have a used 229 40 12 round mags,musta been a duty gun cause the finish is really worn,but it shoots great and runs wet or dry,I have probably fired 500 rounds thru mine without cleaning,and it still eats everything I feed it,mostly 155 grn LRN reloads,I've considered buying a 357 sig barrel since I have a buncha brass and would just need a set of dies to have 2 guns in one,nite sites are really dim and prior to carrying 24/7 would need replaced.I paid $500.00,a friend paid $550.00 for a Sig 229 reconditioned last year
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Here are some links I used when i first started looking at used Sigs.

Lube pt 1
    Flork's Lubrication Recommendation - Topic
    Inspection
    Guide to Sig Sauer pistol inspection : Grayguns by Bruce Gray
    Sig Sauer Maintenance
    SIG SAUER
    Last edited by ks kid; August 30th, 2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: correct link

Paid $475 for my 1998 model p229 w/o rails.....put Hogue grips and Tru Glo night sights on it......best buy I've made on a pistol.....easy to shoot and extremely accurate. It shares duty with p239 as EDC. Can't go wrong with a Sig, especially a p229!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Thanks all for the postings. This is very helpful! Will check out the pistol tomorrow and see what happens next..

Links