New member needing help finding a 22lr for fiancé with small hands.

This is a discussion on New member needing help finding a 22lr for fiancé with small hands. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone :) This is my first post and I will try and be as specific as possible so everybody knows what I'm needing help ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member needing help finding a 22lr for fiancé with small hands.

Hello everyone :)

This is my first post and I will try and be as specific as possible so everybody knows what I'm needing help with.
    My fiancé and I are new to concealed carrying, so new in fact that I'm still waiting on the sherrif's dept to send me my permit and she hasn't found a gun she likes yet so she hasn't applied for a permit yet. She wants to get a concealable gun to carry but won't carry anything larger than a .22 because of the recoil. The problem that we are running into is that most of the small .22's we find have grips that are too big for her hands. She's petite and has small hands and even the Baretta ("bobcat" I think it was but I may be wrong) had too big of a grip for her. A while back we went to the local shooting range and she shot a 22 that resembled the OSS guns, but it was too big for her to conceal because of her body type. I had her shoot the ruger lcp I was shooting and she handed it back to me right away because of recoil.

So we are looking for any suggestions of what guns we should go look at so she can pick one out, and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    If the Beretta model 21-A Bobcat is too large for her, she does have very small hands. Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search for a small gun
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Is she wanting a semi or revolver? The NAA 5 shots are pretty small. How about a small .25ACP?

VIP Member
    Recoil is ALWAYS in part a function of the size of the gun; its mass. There are some nicely concealable
    guns in larger calibers than 22 in sizes and weights that help to reduce recoil significantly.

I certainly understand the issue with being petite, but perhaps this type of individual is exactly someone who would want a gun with some weight (mass) to dampen the recoil.

.22 lr is not considered a self defense round and so I would look to something in .380 but not in the tiny packages like the LCP or P3AT.

I have a Mustang II (not the Pony, not the clone) which produces very little recoil. Maybe you can find one on the used market. It is not a large gun by any means and easily fits in a pocket holster, though it is larger than many of the most popular of the tiny .380s designed for pocket carry.

Some of these pocket .380s reportedly have very undesirable recoil precisely because of their small size.

I don't know what all is out there on the market which may be similar, and your gal might (as others) not feel fully comfortable with a SA that must be carried cocked and locked. So you need to do some shopping. I'd hunt around for a DAO or DA/SA in .380, but in a package larger than the LCP. That should help with the recoil issue and get your gal into something which has significant SD capability.

I own a Walther P22, and that is a nice .22lr which is fun to shoot and small enough to be used for carry. If carried with the hammer down it is DA/SA and quite nice except that the safety is awkwardly different from almost all other guns.

There are enthusiasts for almost everything on the market. If she really must have a tiny gun, the small SA revolvers in .22 magnum might work; but these have issues which make them unsuitable IMO for beginners, and they also do have some recoil your gal might find upsetting.

Decades ago I had a .22 lr snubby revolver. It was cheaply made junk in the Saturday Night Special category, which I think is nowadays illegal/off the market. I don't know if there are modern substitutes. Someone more knowledgeable than I would need to answer your question, though it sounds like that is what your gal would really want. Hopefully someone will speak up and point you to a similar gun in modern manufacturer.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoghunter84 View Post
    Is she wanting a semi or revolver? The NAA 5 shots are pretty small. How about a small .25ACP?
    I like the NAA but I think it is unsuitable for new shooters. My opinion only.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Take a look at an Iver Johnson "Owl head" hammerless revolver, in .32 S&W. Small grips, very mild recoil and can be had around gun shows for about 100 to 125 bucks. They look "old-fashioned"... actually they are old fashioned, been around over 100 years, but they're small, light, dependable, and cheap. They've put their share of BG's in the ground over the years.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...og&sa=N&tab=wi
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

eb
    I was going to suggest the Bobcat as well. I don't know of a smaller gun than that other than the little 2-shot derringer style 22 novelty guns.

It sounds to me like shes afraid of firearms if recoil is THAT much of a concern. Perhaps she needs more range time to ease into larger caliber guns? My wife initially was a bit sensitive to recoil (not this much though), but over the past few months has become much more "immune" to it and much more willing to shoot larger guns. She chose a Walther PPS 9mm for her carry gun.

My other suggestion would be to sacrifice some size/weight, and go with a small frame revolver since the grips are usually very easy to replace with a wide variety of sizes... 38 special would be more suitable for self-defense, but you can probably find one that shoots AT LEAST .22 magnum rounds if it must be a 22. You could easily find some "varmint" loads that are hollow point or polymer tipped or something. Better than nothing I guess and less likely to pin-hole right thru a bad guy and into someone's kid, but I'd never carry a 22 personally.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    If the Beretta model 21-A Bobcat is too large for her, she does have very small hands. Welcome to the forum and good luck in your search for a small gun
    Thank you! I really like the forum so far, and yes she does haha.

VIP Member
    Do you mean she can't reach the trigger on the Bobcat? It sounds to me like you need to get her some professional instruction. An instructor should be able to help her with technique, which is what controls recoil. A small, actually tiny, gun is no way for a novice shooter to start out. Let me make one other point, you should not be teaching her to shoot. That's relationship advice. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    If she wants to carry for self defense she really needs to get used to some kind of recoil. Her willingness to even consider carrying is half the struggle. Good for her.

Make regular visits to a range that rents handguns and try many different models working up in caliber over time.

For the time being these 2 models below in 22lr will do nicely the Walther being favored by me. Later the 22lr will be good for plinking and training of other family members.

Bersa Thunder 22
    Specifications

Model: THUN22
    Caliber: .22 LR
    Action: DA/SA
    Capacity: 10+1
    Barrel Length:3.5”
    Front Sight: Blade Integral with Slide
    Rear Sight: Notched-Bar Dovetailed
    Finishes: Duotone, Satin Nickel or Matte Black
    Grips: Checkered Polymer
    Construction: Alloy Frame/Steel Slide
    Safety: Integral Locking System, Manual, Firing Pin
    Weight: 18.9 oz.
    Length: 6.6”
    Height: 4.7”
    Width: 1.3”

Walther Handguns: P22 .22LR - waltherpistols.com
    Specifications

Walther® P22 Pistol
    Manufacturer Number: CAP22003
    Action: Single/Double
    Caliber: .22 Long Rifle
    Capacity: 10 Round
    Features
    Interchangeable Frame Back Straps
    Ambidextrous Controls
    Integrated Trigger Lock
    Loaded Chamber Indicator
    Magazine Disconnect
    Safety: Hammer Safety/Firing Pin Safety
    Barrel Length: 3.4 Inch
    Overall Length: 6.3 Inch
    Includes:
    (1) Magazine
    Sights: 3 Dot Adjustable
    Weight: 15.1 Ounces
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by hoghunter84 View Post
    She likes semi's and revolvers, and she liked the NAA 5 shots that we were looking at on their website, she was just a little worried about the fact that it doesn't have a trigger guard, do you know if they have a problem with the trigger getting caught on stuff and firing on accident (any more than other guns anyways) ? And how is the recoil on a .25? Neither of us have ever shot one.

Hey hopyard,
    I definitely know what you mean about the weight of the gun helping reduce the recoil, I have a s&w bodyguard 380 that kicks more than my full size 9mm, and I know what you mean about the .22 not being considered a self defense round by many people, she's pretty determined on the .22 right now though because of the recoil issue, but her wanting to carry anything makes me feel better than her not having anything at all even if it's a .22 for now, and I thank you for your suggestions and we will look into them and hopefully be able to rent some of them at our local shooting range and see if she can become more comfortable with a larger caliber down the road :)

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Take a look at an Iver Johnson "Owl head" hammerless revolver, in .32 S&W. Small grips, very mild recoil and can be had around gun shows for about 100 to 125 bucks. They look "old-fashioned"... actually they are old fashioned, been around over 100 years, but they're small, light, dependable, and cheap. They've put their share of BG's in the ground over the years.

iver johnson .32 hammerless - Google Search
    Thanks!! How is the recoil on a .32? I've never shot one before, maybe I can pick one of these up for myself and after a few days at the shooting range hope she steals it from me :)

Hey eb,
    Hopefully with more range time she can ease her way into a larger caliber, and thanks for the advice! I completely spaced the thought of lower grain "varmint" loads.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bffjoey View Post
    Thanks!! How is the recoil on a .32? I've never shot one before, maybe I can pick one of these up for myself and after a few days at the shooting range hope she steals it from me :)
    It's very light. The .32 S&W is also called a .32 short. I personally think there's less recoil than a .25 due to the gun being a little more substantial than a .25.
    Good cheap little gun, they're actually starting to gain popularity in the cowboy action shooting community as a "belly gun".
    The biggest battle you'll fight, IMO is that women generally don't like or don't want something that looks old. They like new, and shiny and pretty.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links