SP101: .327 mag. vs. .32 H&R mag.

This is a discussion on SP101: .327 mag. vs. .32 H&R mag. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got back from the range and, while I did O.K. with the .327 mag, I was more accurate with the .32 H&R mag. So ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: SP101: .327 mag. vs. .32 H&R mag.

SP101: .327 mag. vs. .32 H&R mag.

Just got back from the range and, while I did O.K. with the .327 mag, I was more accurate with the .32 H&R mag. So my question is: Is it better to carry the one I am more accurate with (5 out of 6 in the bullseye at 7 yds.) or the more powerful one( 2 in the black & zero(!) in the bullseye.).
    I can handle the .327, but the .32 is much more fun to shoot and appears to have a lot of power for close range shooting.THE RECOIL WITH THE H&R APPEARED TO ME TO BE MORE THAN A .38 RUGER I SHOT
    SOME TIME AGO---- so does this equate to more power, etc....
    Thanks for your responses.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    the 32 H&R is a carry favorite of mine and its power is about that of a 38spl.

try also the 32acp; its a 32 H&R lite but stronger than a 32 S&W long

a vote for carry what you shoot best with. though if you re-load, the 327 will fast become more accurate; especially out of the relatively heavy ruger.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

While precise accuracy is desirable, in SD situations there is often not time for such luxury.

Barring an overly generous bullseye, I would be more concerned with the overall group size and the rate of fire it was achieved with.
    zacii likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

A balance of accuracy and speed is what we want in a defensive arm.

If you're getting nice, tightly grouped holes, then you're going too slow. A group sized about a hand-span is desirable.

Of course, this is all subjective to whichever defensive doctrine that you subscribe to.
    Last edited by zacii; August 30th, 2011 at 08:58 PM.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I'd be more of a fan of the .327 Magnum. The .32 H&R Magnum never really lived up to it's ballistic expectations.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    Practice withthe lighter loads BUT shot enough of the .327 to be comfortable with it. IF you ever need it you will never know the difference between any of the 32 cal cartridges. besure you clean the cylinder very well before shoting the .327 ammo as it is longer and the 32h&r will leave a crud ring where the longer round goes. Like with a 38 and 357mag

I didn't even know the sp101 came in 32. I dont know, if I was looking at something with the same ballistics as a 38...I'd get the 38, more availability. but if I was going to get a gun that shot 38 I would go with a 357 and get 2 guns in one :D but that's just me,
    The only Difference between the vanquished and victorious is resolve.

Ignorance is correctable, stupid aint.

It's peanutbutter jelly time

I believe the 327 Mag is considerably more stout ballistically than the .38 Special.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I carry a 32 H&R mag sometimes (S&W J frame). It sounds like you need more practice with the 327.

I do practice with the .327 mag. My question is simply, since I am more accurate with the .32 H&R mag., is this a decent defensive caliber?
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    I do practice with the .327 mag. My question is simply, since I am more accurate with the .32 H&R mag., is this a decent defensive caliber?
    I carry .327 and that would be my recommendation.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I would practice quite a bit more and give yourself a chance to get used to the recoil. It took me a while to get used to my SP101 in .357 but it can be done. Remember too, I highly doubt you will ever notice the recoil if your in a life or death situation.

Use the cheaper .32 H&R to hone your skill, but always run 3 or 4 speedloaders of .327mag through at the end for reflex memory.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

The answer to your question is yes. The 32 mag is a decent defensive caliber.

Michael

THANK YOU, MICHAEL!

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Handgun bullets make holes. I have a .32 H&R SP101 waiting in the safe, for the day when .38 becomes too much for me to handle in my .357 SP101s. ( I am still able to shoot Magnums, for now. ) I do not think I will worry about the difference in velocity, compared to .327 Federal, just as I did not worry when I backed away from max-pressure .357 Mags in my lighter revolvers recently, or backed away from max-pressure .41 Mags in 1985, or entirely stopped shooting .44 Mags in 1984.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links