Preferred Daily Carry? - Page 3

Preferred Daily Carry?

This is a discussion on Preferred Daily Carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since I live in a fairly warm desert climate and dressing up typically means a new pair of flip flops, shorts with a belt and ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Preferred Daily Carry?

Since I live in a fairly warm desert climate and dressing up typically means a new pair of flip flops, shorts with a belt and a T-shirt with a collar, I carry a mouse gun. Kel-Tec 3AT.
    george, US Army, Ret. 1978 - 2011 (Yeah, another old fart with "old soldiers disease")

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Good video. I have a question. Was it the lighting or do you have a different finish on the slides of your Glocks. They appeared to be lighter than the frames. Could be a reflection, but I am just curious.
    They are special edition Glocks offered by TALO. The finish is called the EXO finish, and it's a finish applied by a company called FailZero. The finish is claimed to be 40% harder than hard chrome and is applied over the Tennifer treatment already on the slide. So you have a super strong barrier against scratches, rust, salt, etc. It's also "lubeless" meaning it requires no oil to prevent rust nor is oil required for moving parts coated in EXO as it's self lubricating.

Here's an article.

American Handgunner May/June 2010
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

VIP Member
    Interesting, thanks.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

From your video, you don't seem to have much use for the Glock "safety" trigger design. Just curious what your take on the "hinged" M&P trigger safety is?

My understanding is that the Glock design was supposed to prevent something that catches the edge of the trigger from pulling it - but of course, something that gets all the way into the trigger guard will be able to pull the trigger, which we have seen countless times.

I'm just not sure how the M&P trigger design is supposed to be better - if indeed it is.

Appreciate your perspective - thanks.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

In looking at the video again, wouldn't it be more accurate to compare the M&P compacts to the Glock sub-compacts instead of the G19? I'm not aware of an M&P that compares in size to the G19, except maybe the 45c.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombsaway View Post
    In looking at the video again, wouldn't it be more accurate to compare the M&P compacts to the Glock sub-compacts instead of the G19? I'm not aware of an M&P that compares in size to the G19, except maybe the 45c.
    no, look at the specs of the m&p compacts vs. The Glock 19... They are much closer in size than the Glock sub compacts. M&P series offers no sub compact models in their line up
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    no, look at the specs of the m&p compacts vs. The Glock 19... They are much closer in size than the Glock sub compacts. M&P series offers no sub compact models in their line up
    If you're looking at height, which would include grip length, then the M&P compacts (4.3 in) compare more closely to the Glock sub-compacts (4.2 in), and Military Arms was comparing the two based on grip, specifically his ability to get a full grip on the G19 without a mag extension.

If you're looking at length, then the M&P compact is closer to the G19. The M&P 45c (4.8 in) is closer to the G19 (5 in) in height.

Personally, I prefer the longer sight picture of the M&Ps.

I am aware that S&W doesn't make anything in the M&P line classified as sub-compact, thanks.

Cool

Thanks for posting the video.

UCT Coatings does the EXO finish and I am very pleased with mine on my G-36.
    Small Arms | UCT Coatings

I got the slide and barrel done and their prices are market competative.

photo.jpgphoto.jpg
    click images to enlarge.....
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    From your video, you don't seem to have much use for the Glock "safety" trigger design. Just curious what your take on the "hinged" M&P trigger safety is?

My understanding is that the Glock design was supposed to prevent something that catches the edge of the trigger from pulling it - but of course, something that gets all the way into the trigger guard will be able to pull the trigger, which we have seen countless times.

I'm just not sure how the M&P trigger design is supposed to be better - if indeed it is.

Appreciate your perspective - thanks.
    The only difference that I can see is that the M&P's system is slightly more ergonomic in that you don't feel the "dingus" on your trigger finger. If the goal is to prevent something from firing the pistol that just barely clips the side of the trigger (I don't see much value in this concept, personally) then the M&P would be inferior given it doesn't prevent firing if the trigger is clipped from the side since the whole lower half of the trigger is the "safety". I prefer the way the M&P feels, with one exception. If you put a match trigger in your M&P then the spring on the trigger safety is heavier than the actual trigger release (I shot a pistol like this yesterday). You have to make sure your finger is low enough on the trigger to get a good mechanical advantage to avoid having a very strange feeling trigger release. But since I don't put match triggers in my carry guns, this really is a moot point for my purposes.

I will be doing a review of the M&P in the next few weeks and comparing it to a G17.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Thanks for posting the video.

UCT Coatings does the EXO finish and I am very pleased with mine on my G-36.
    Small Arms | UCT Coatings

I got the slide and barrel done and their prices are market competative.

photo.jpgphoto.jpg
    click images to enlarge.....
    Outstanding.

I'm waiting on a new Glock Gen 4 G21. Once I get my hands on it, I plan on having it EXO treated too.

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    I will be doing a review of the M&P in the next few weeks and comparing it to a G17.

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    The only difference that I can see is that the M&P's system is slightly more ergonomic in that you don't feel the "dingus" on your trigger finger. If the goal is to prevent something from firing the pistol that just barely clips the side of the trigger (I don't see much value in this concept, personally) then the M&P would be inferior given it doesn't prevent firing if the trigger is clipped from the side since the whole lower half of the trigger is the "safety". I prefer the way the M&P feels, with one exception. If you put a match trigger in your M&P then the spring on the trigger safety is heavier than the actual trigger release (I shot a pistol like this yesterday). You have to make sure your finger is low enough on the trigger to get a good mechanical advantage to avoid having a very strange feeling trigger release. But since I don't put match triggers in my carry guns, this really is a moot point for my purposes.

Thanks for your perspective. I guess I've gotten to the point where I don't really even notice the "dingus" anymore. Plus, so many others have copied that design, that it has almost become the norm on DAO pistols (and for the purists out there, yes, I am aware that a Glock is not really a true DAO).

If the military is indeed serious about replacing the M9 (seems like we have been down this road numerous aborted times before) then the M&P should be a strong contender, given that they already have the option of a thumb safety, which I agree is a good idea for general military use. I think back to my own (lack of) training when I was issued and qualified with my M9 back in the day...woeful.

Just be prepared for a poopstorm if you go ahead with your M&P vs Glock review...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombsaway View Post
    If you're looking at height, which would include grip length, then the M&P compacts (4.3 in) compare more closely to the Glock sub-compacts (4.2 in), and Military Arms was comparing the two based on grip, specifically his ability to get a full grip on the G19 without a mag extension.

If you're looking at length, then the M&P compact is closer to the G19. The M&P 45c (4.8 in) is closer to the G19 (5 in) in height.

Personally, I prefer the longer sight picture of the M&Ps.

I am aware that S&W doesn't make anything in the M&P line classified as sub-compact, thanks.
    Well then, lets look at the numbers. Here are dimensions lifted directly from the manufactures websites;

G19 Length 6.85"......G26 Length 6.29"........M&P9c Length 6.7"
    ..........................Height 5.00".............Height 4.17".................Height 4.3"
    ..........................Width 1.8"................Width 1.8" ..................Width 1.2"
    ............... Sight radius 6.2"........................5.67"................. ....... 5.75"

Differences:..........Length .15".....................-.41"
    ...........................Height .7"........................13"
    ...........................Width Wash....................Wash
    ...........................Radius .45+.....................-.08

Looking at the facts and numbers, its clear the M&P compacts are much closer in size to the Glock compacts rather than the Glock subcompacts. The biggest fault of the M&Pc's are the fact that they are very comparable in size to the G19, have less capacity and rely on the goof mag extension for a full grip. Like OP stated in his video, the M&P is more ergonomic. But when comparing the G19 to the M&Pc sight radius, you get substantially larger sight radius with a minimally larger overall pistol. I guess it will boil down to what bothers you and what doesn't. I just thought it might be interesting to look at actual fact vs. feelings.

"Just blame Sixto"

I have a rotation dependent upon situation, place I am going, and dress. It consists of either:

1. Glock 29SF 10+1 with 15 or 20 round backup mags carried in back pocket, loaded with Buffalo Bore 180gr JHP carried AIWB in a dale fricke archangel holster
    2. Ruger LCR .357 with either one or two speed strips carried in back pocket (loaded with 5) and or a S.L. Variant Model J-36 speed loader all loaded with Remington Golden Saber 125gr JHP carried AWIB in a high noon mr softy holster
    3. Keltec P3AT plus one backup mag carried in back pocket loaded with Buffalo Bore 90gr JHP pocket carried in a desantis nemesis

90% of the time it is the LCR.

I refuse to daily carry anything with a manual safety that needs to be disengaged before the trigger is pulled. I carried a 1911 and BHP for years, once I started to get into true combat shooting and force on force, I realized that even though it may be second nature, I wanted to cut Mr. Murphy out of as many steps as I could when it comes to self defense. Draw, point, fire. Repeat last step. No worrying about sweeping the thumb when under pressure and stress. I however can see the need for it with the military; having served and witnessed first hand the level of intelligence and common sense some possessed.

As far as the M&P vs. the Glock? I have shot and owned both. I say go with what you like. They are both great and it comes down to personal preference on that one. Can't go wrong either way.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Well then, lets look at the numbers. Here are dimensions lifted directly from the manufactures websites;

G19 Length 6.85"......G26 Length 6.29"........M&P9c Length 6.7"
    ..........................Height 5.00".............Height 4.17".................Height 4.3"
    ..........................Width 1.8"................Width 1.8" ..................Width 1.2"
    ............... Sight radius 6.2"........................5.67"................. ....... 5.75"

Differences:..........Length .15".....................-.41"
    ...........................Height .7"........................13"
    ...........................Width Wash....................Wash
    ...........................Radius .45+.....................-.08

Looking at the facts and numbers, its clear the M&P compacts are much closer in size to the Glock compacts rather than the Glock subcompacts. The biggest fault of the M&Pc's are the fact that they are very comparable in size to the G19, have less capacity and rely on the goof mag extension for a full grip. Like OP stated in his video, the M&P is more ergonomic. But when comparing the G19 to the M&Pc sight radius, you get substantially larger sight radius with a minimally larger overall pistol. I guess it will boil down to what bothers you and what doesn't. I just thought it might be interesting to look at actual fact vs. feelings.

Speaking of feelings, did that make you feel better?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links