Preferred Daily Carry? - Page 4

Preferred Daily Carry?

This is a discussion on Preferred Daily Carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bombsaway Speaking of feelings, did that make you feel better? No, not any different really. Do you feel any smarter? Lets get ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Preferred Daily Carry?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombsaway View Post
    Speaking of feelings, did that make you feel better?
    No, not any different really. Do you feel any smarter?

Lets get it back on topic.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    If the military is indeed serious about replacing the M9 (seems like we have been down this road numerous aborted times before) then the M&P should be a strong contender, given that they already have the option of a thumb safety, which I agree is a good idea for general military use. I think back to my own (lack of) training when I was issued and qualified with my M9 back in the day...woeful.
    This will date me, but I had the same issue with the 1911 when I was in the military. We weren't given much instruction, then set out on a range to "qualify" with it. LOL Fortunately for me my first handgun (in high school) was a Colt 1911 so I had a good idea of how it worked and how to shoot it, albeit I had some bad habits back then. Others weren't so fortunate.

Just be prepared for a poopstorm if you go ahead with your M&P vs Glock review...
    My M&P is at the gunshop getting paid off right now. I will shoot it for a few weeks as much as I can (about 1000 rounds) before doing a comparison. I honestly can't say which I'll favor. I'm obviously biased towards the Glock given my decades of experience with it. However, I will say that when I shoot an M&P I'm always impressed with it. Soooo... I guess you're right. One camp will be tweaked about my comments while the other will be gloating I suppose.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Administrator
    I got to admit as a Glock fan, I always to enjoy the M&P guns too. To each his own on this one.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Well then, lets look at the numbers. Here are dimensions lifted directly from the manufactures websites;

G19 Length 6.85"......G26 Length 6.29"........M&P9c Length 6.7"
    ..........................Height 5.00".............Height 4.17".................Height 4.3"
    ..........................Width 1.8"................Width 1.8" ..................Width 1.2"
    ............... Sight radius 6.2"........................5.67"................. ....... 5.75"

Differences:..........Length .15".....................-.41"
    ...........................Height .7"........................13"
    ...........................Width Wash....................Wash
    ...........................Radius .45+.....................-.08

Looking at the facts and numbers, its clear the M&P compacts are much closer in size to the Glock compacts rather than the Glock subcompacts. The biggest fault of the M&Pc's are the fact that they are very comparable in size to the G19, have less capacity and rely on the goof mag extension for a full grip. Like OP stated in his video, the M&P is more ergonomic. But when comparing the G19 to the M&Pc sight radius, you get substantially larger sight radius with a minimally larger overall pistol. I guess it will boil down to what bothers you and what doesn't. I just thought it might be interesting to look at actual fact vs. feelings.

The width if the G19/26 is actually 1.18". You've got a typo listing them at 1.8".

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigrat View Post
    The width if the G19/26 is actually 1.18". You've got a typo listing them at 1.8".
    Whoops. Oh well, width is a wash anyway. I'll fix it later after the evening dove hunt
    "Just blame Sixto"

Liked the video, still do not like glocks... I prefer the DA/SA style. I carry a Smith 457 compact .45...You are right about training and muscle memory..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by silentSF View Post
    Since I live in a fairly warm desert climate and dressing up typically means a new pair of flip flops, shorts with a belt and a T-shirt with a collar, I carry a mouse gun. Kel-Tec 3AT.
    I too live in a hot and humid climate here in SC, but dressed as the poster describes above, my preferred daily carry is a Kimber Ultra Carry II IWB with the shirt left untucked. It conceals quite well and with a good belt stays firmly in place. On days where I must wear slacks and a dress shirt I resort to front pocket carry with a Ruger LCP.
    NRA member
    GrassRoots GunRights SC member

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Well then, lets look at the numbers. Here are dimensions lifted directly from the manufactures websites;

G19 Length 6.85"......G26 Length 6.29"........M&P9c Length 6.7"
    ..........................Height 5.00".............Height 4.17".................Height 4.3"
    ..........................Width 1.8"................Width 1.8" ..................Width 1.2"
    ............... Sight radius 6.2"........................5.67"................. ....... 5.75"

Differences:..........Length .15".....................-.41"
    ...........................Height .7"........................13"
    ...........................Width Wash....................Wash
    ...........................Radius .45+.....................-.08

Looking at the facts and numbers, its clear the M&P compacts are much closer in size to the Glock compacts rather than the Glock subcompacts. The biggest fault of the M&Pc's are the fact that they are very comparable in size to the G19, have less capacity and rely on the goof mag extension for a full grip. Like OP stated in his video, the M&P is more ergonomic. But when comparing the G19 to the M&Pc sight radius, you get substantially larger sight radius with a minimally larger overall pistol. I guess it will boil down to what bothers you and what doesn't. I just thought it might be interesting to look at actual fact vs. feelings.

the only M&P even close to the G19 is the M&P 45C. The M&P Compacts are very similar to the Glock Subcompacts. The M&P Full size service pistols are comparable to a Glock 17.....from one that owns all of the above, numbers don't really seem to tell the story....but pictures usually clear it right up.

M&P45C vs G19

M&P9C vs G26

M&P 45C vs M&P 9C
    357and40 and Knightrider like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    I get asked "what is your daily carry handgun?" pretty regularly. I also get asked "what load do you carry?" I put this video together that will explain my choices and thought I would share it with the crew here. Please feel free to chime in with your choice of defensive arms and the loads you carry.]
    I carry two weapons very regularly.
    S&W M&Pc (40 or 357sig) and S&W 360 (357mag)
    When I decided on the M&Pc I had tested out a veritable TON of weapons in 40 because I felt that 9 just wasn't enough but 50 was a little too big. I tried Glock (hated everything about it <seemed like a cheap piece of fecal matter that was designed with the lowest common denominator in mind, ie:non-gun-guy cops or thugs that dont even want to learn how to properly care for a pistol but still need or want to have one>), Sig (loved the weapons but too big to CC and tuck in business casual), Tried XDs (just didn't feel right0, Taurus (can not trust their quality control), Ruger (can not deal with their politics) and a ton of other names went into the mix...

The M&Pc just was the perfect size and weight. It had a ton of options for accessories/holsters (the Walther PPS before it did not). It had great capacity for its size & even the option to use the full size mags in the compact.

The j-frame package was a no-brainer. Deciding on 357 over 38 was a no-brainer. Deciding on Scandium frame was pretty easy. Deciding on S&W was the result of Colt (even thought I would have preferred Colt) being out of my price range and no other revolver MFGer having a weapon that had the weight/size/caliber/quality combination at a similar price point. (See above on Taurus & Ruger as examples.)
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I own a few handguns, but the one I carry almost all the time is my Glock 19 loaded with standard pressure 147jhps.
    Started out hating Glocks, but eventually got to shoot one, and could not believe how much better I shot with a Glock. Hated the way the look and feel, but over the years, the beauty is their pure simplicity and speed into action. Particulary impressed with the way they shoot in rapid fire. The Glock 19 just feels right in my hand....Glock 17 does not, but I still carry one on occasion.

Over the years, other polymer guns have come on the market, and I own several Glock competitors, but none just feel as right and shoot as well as the M&P lineup. I rotate my M&P 9C into the lineup as much as possible...I just shoot that little guy so well. If I had to give up my Glocks, I would be just fine carrying the M&P's.

Also carry at least one Keltec PF-9 as a BUG , and carry standard pressure 115gr jhp's in that one since I just know it will cycle them and have never had an issue.

Never have been comfortable carrying a revolver as I pretty much suck shooting them, but definite kudos to those that have mastered the little wheelies. Love small single stack 9mm's that can ride in my pants pocket.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Zonker, come hang with Deadguy & Me and try out the j-frame-hand-canons... You think you suck shooting revolvers now... just wait, we can help you get worse..
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Keltec PF-9, or my Taurus 85-UL, when my hip allows it I much prefer my RIA Officer model 1911a1 in 45acp.

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    I picked up my M&P over lunch today. Here it is next to my G17.

I'm looking forward to comparing them.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    I picked up my M&P over lunch today. Here it is next to my G17.

I'm looking forward to comparing them.
    My little guy Tre', likes the smith, because I carry a smith..Nice weapons... He is only 7 and loves to shoot already...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Nice Vid. Personally it depends on what time of year it is thats dictates what I carry. In the Summer time I carry a taurus PT 740 IWB with my Ruger LCP in a pocket holsters in the weak side. When it's cooler out (which was most of the year in the Pacific NW) I carry a Ruger SP-101 in .357 mag with a S&W 638 in a pocket holster on the weak side. Both of the revolvers have CT laser grips.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links