Preferred Daily Carry?

This is a discussion on Preferred Daily Carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I get asked "what is your daily carry handgun?" pretty regularly. I also get asked "what load do you carry?" I put this video together ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Preferred Daily Carry?

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar

Preferred Daily Carry?

I get asked "what is your daily carry handgun?" pretty regularly. I also get asked "what load do you carry?" I put this video together that will explain my choices and thought I would share it with the crew here. Please feel free to chime in with your choice of defensive arms and the loads you carry.

OD*, mwhartman, WHEC724 and 1 others like this.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

2. Remove Ads

Good pointers on safety issues. Thanks for posting!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I enjoyed your vid, thanks.

Good review.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Nice vid.. I personally carry a S&W M&P 40c loaded with Winchester Q4369 180 grain.

Good Video

Nice video, I carry either my .357 SIG G33 with 125 grain Gold Dots or .40 S&W G22 with 180 grain Winchester PDX-1.

Some excellent points made in your video, particularly about trigger safeties and the risks inherent in the DAO weapons. Something we should all pay attention to.

Thanks for taking the time to educate us.

Is there a narrative? I cant stream at work?
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Very well done video. Good tips regarding trigger "safeties" and particularly about how you cover the trigger guard when re-holstering.
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Quote Originally Posted by JBachman View Post
    Nice vid.. I personally carry a S&W M&P 40c loaded with Winchester Q4369 180 grain.
    The M&P is a great pistol. If I didn't have so many years of experience with the Glock I would likely be using a M&P. With the new Army pistol trials opening up, I suspect the M&P will make a very strong showing. It will be interesting to see how it fairs in the testing compared to other designs, I expect it to do well.

Military Arms Blog: Saying good-bye to the M9

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    The M&P is a great pistol. If I didn't have so many years of experience with the Glock I would likely be using a M&P. With the new Army pistol trials opening up, I suspect the M&P will make a very strong showing. It will be interesting to see how it fairs in the testing compared to other designs, I expect it to do well.

Military Arms Blog: Saying good-bye to the M9
    I think its a good move for the army to get away from the M9. Its just to heavy and often times too big for a lot of the soldiers hands. Moving to a simpler platform like an M&P would make learning the firearm easier as well. I don't know if it means anything but a friend of mine who just got back from deployment recieved his M&P 40 cal that was an option for soldiers to buy before his Brigade deployed. Its got his unit inscribed in the frame, so S&W has some type of contract with the army already.

It would be great if the US could get back into designing and manufacturing our own small arms for the military vs. relying upon foreign companies like FN and Beretta or even Sig and HK. If the M&P does well in the trials, I would like to see it as our new service pistol.

It's also interesting to note that the Army is considering a caliber change. It might be that the .40 S&W becomes our new service pistol cartridge. I'm sure that wouldn't sit well with our NATO allies though.

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    It would be great if the US could get back into designing and manufacturing our own small arms for the military vs. relying upon foreign companies like FN and Beretta or even Sig and HK. If the M&P does well in the trials, I would like to see it as our new service pistol.

It's also interesting to note that the Army is considering a caliber change. It might be that the .40 S&W becomes our new service pistol cartridge. I'm sure that wouldn't sit well with our NATO allies though.
    With all of the great pistols that are out there from american firearms makers theres no reason not to go with an American product. If the M&P does become the pistol of choice for our military I'm sure they would have the external safety feature. The military is pretty big on weapon safety as I'm sure you know. A .40 FMJ would be a step up from a 9mm FMJ for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ak74 View Post
    With all of the great pistols that are out there from american firearms makers theres no reason not to go with an American product. If the M&P does become the pistol of choice for our military I'm sure they would have the external safety feature. The military is pretty big on weapon safety as I'm sure you know. A .40 FMJ would be a step up from a 9mm FMJ for sure.
    While the requirements aren't published yet, it is expected (as you note) that the requirements will include a manual safety. This is what will likely exclude the Glock once again from consideration. I can't say I disagree, given the wide spectrum of users that will be issued a service pistol (with varying skill levels) I don't feel a weapon such as the Glock is a wise choice. I don't even think it's a wise choice for LEO's given many of them aren't properly trained with their service weapons either, but I digress.

The M&P certainly seems like it would be a top contender. I look forward to the trials.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links