GP 100 Trade for XD 40???

This is a discussion on GP 100 Trade for XD 40??? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an offer to trade my Ruger GP100 4inch S/S 357 for a XD 40 4inch black, both are LNIB. The Gp comes with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: GP 100 Trade for XD 40???

GP 100 Trade for XD 40???

I have an offer to trade my Ruger GP100 4inch S/S 357 for a XD 40 4inch black, both are LNIB. The Gp comes with 37 ball, 50 hp reloads and two speedloaders the box and paperwork, the xd comes with the XD gear that it is sold with (2mags,mag case,holster) box and paper work. so my question is, is that a good trade??, i know nothing about the XD's. Comments please

2. Remove Ads

I really like my xd's. For my hand it is a much better fit than a glock. Please note I am NOT bashing glocks I just like the feel of the xd better in my hand. Best advice I can offer is head to your LGS and hold one.

If you know nothing about the XD, why are you considering the trade? Are you unhappy with the GP100 for some reason? Do you want to switch from a revolver to a semi-auto?

Not knowing anything about a particular gun, I would be very reluctant to swap without some good reason. At the very least, you need to put a box of ammo through the gun before thinking any further about the trade. You may find you and the XD are not a good fit. On the other hand, you may find yourself thrilled with it.

As for the relative worth of the trade, if both parties are satisfied with the terms of the trade, that's all that matters - no matter what anyone else thinks of the trade.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

I love my XD 40 SC, as far as the XD Gear, it's not very good, the mags are fine, but the holster is crap, IMHO!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member
    What's the story with the GP100 "LNIB". Have you not shot it? What are you looking for in a handgun, what do you carry now?

Having said all this, I have on an xd40 right now and it is a peach. It's hard to not like this gun.

I have both revolvers and pistols but would NOT trade a GP100 for a Xd40, nothing wrong with Xd's but GP100's are built like tanks, will withstand lots of abuse that a Xd won't. I also feel that the .357 mag is
    a better self defense round than the 40 S&W.

I have a XD40 sub compact that I love. It is my primary carry gun. Carries like a small gun, shoots like a large one. I also have several .357 Magnums. Ruger SP101 (2"bbl) and Ruger Police Service Six (4"bbl). I like them all. My SP101 is carried a lot too, and I shoot it very well. My Police Six is the predacessor of the GP100 and is the same size. I believe the XD may be a little easier to carry and has more capacity, but revolvers have a lot of other advantages. .357 Magnum is one of the best SD rounds in my opinion, but the .40 is nearly just as good. In comparing these two rounds, your ability to put rounds on target is more important than the ballistics.

So, it all boils down to what purpose you need to fill and which particular weapon will best meet those specified needs. What do you shoot better? Do you prefer revolvers or semi-autos and why? I'm a firm believer in purpose driven purchases, and you should go through the same decision process in considering a trade. Whichever gun will meet your particular needs and abilities better is the one you should have. Only you can answer that. From a value perspective, it is probably a toss-up.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I would personally keep the Ruger.
    Foo909 and Chevyguy85 like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    2 different animals. The Ruger would be difficult to CC but it's SS which I love .
    It would make a good house gun for the wife, if there is one, by keeping 38's in it for her.
    I really like Ruger, SS and revolvers and you can get a semi-auto of your brand and caliber choice anytime. I'd keep the Ruger.
    oneshot likes this.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    What's the story with the GP100 "LNIB". Have you not shot it? What are you looking for in a handgun, what do you carry now?

Having said all this, I have on an xd40 right now and it is a peach. It's hard to not like this gun.

yes i have ran about 250 rounds in her,i take care of my suff and have never carried her, i carry an lcr 38 or p95 9mm, was just thinkin about a new caliber, but i got an offer of $475 from another guy so i might just sell it

Administrator
    I'd keep the Ruger. Used XD's are a dime a dozen.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If you are not going to keep the Ruger and you do sell it, you can purchase a new XD for the amount that you listed. I really like my XD.

It's personal opinion and personal choice of course but I would not trade the GP100 for the XD. I would keep the Ruger and if I really wanted an XD I'd scare up some money and buy one.

Sounds like you will be taking a loss on the GP100 if you sell it for $475. I would hold onto the GP100, but I am a wheelie, and especially a Ruger guy.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    It's personal opinion and personal choice of course but I would not trade the GP100 for the XD. I would keep the Ruger and if I really wanted an XD I'd scare up some money and buy one.
    This sounds like the best plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links