Kimber Solo Carry: Recall?

This is a discussion on Kimber Solo Carry: Recall? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I hope you're right. Mine is due back from the factory for the 2nd time Tuesday....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Kimber Solo Carry: Recall?

I hope you're right. Mine is due back from the factory for the 2nd time Tuesday.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    I hope you're right. Mine is due back for the factory for the 2nd time Tuesday.
    I took care to ensure that I read through the manual provided by Kimber before doing anything with the gun. Some of the problems that people have had with this gun were caused by a simple failure to follow manufacturer recommendations - such as proper ammunition (no 115 grain ammo), improper reassembly, etc.

Shame there are so many issues with the Solo. It feels like it was made for my hand, really beautiful package.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I stay away from expensive guns that might work. I have read plenty of negative reports from owners on this site and others.

My local dealer told me it takes 500 to 1000 rounds to break in, so I bought a Glock, half the price and it works every time.

I'm now up to a few hundred rounds through my Solo and haven't had a problem yet. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe I'm just getting one shot closer to a problem, but all I can report is what I've seen. I'll admit that all of this bad news does scare me, but looking just at my own experience, the gun has been awesome and is easy to carry. Isn't it fair to assume that if their was a recall it would have to be posted to the public and not kept a secret?

VIP Member
    I knew it! There must be a mim part that is the culprit! Where is Tangle? LOL......... Now that I had my fun, good luck with the issues as it's never fun to deal with a broken new firearm.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Update: Kimber Solo - 200 rounds later - has been a sweet-shooting dream!

I just finished putting another 150 rounds through my new Kimber Solo, and I must say that the gun was worth the wait. That brings the total rounds to 200 without a single glitch. It does get tiring to shoot after 100 rounds, though!

Here is what I put through it today:
    50 147 gr Hornady TAP FPD JHP
    50 147 gr Federal American Eagle FMJ Flat Point
    50 147 gr Winchester White Box 147 gr JHP

I have strictly followed all of the manufacturer recommendations about firing the gun with one exception: on each of my three magazines I would ocassionally not fully seat the top round to see if I could induce a failure to feed (not seating that round pitches the nose of the round down). None of that caused a problem with the magazines or feed ramp functioning properly. To me, it is a safety issue to do this because the round could potentially put itself in this position due to vibration during holster or pocket carry. I also fired a 6+1 combination several times to see if there were issues seating and firing a full magazine with a round already chambered. I also mixed and matched the different ammunitions to see if there were problems feeding or ejecting one brand of ammo with another brand mixed in the same magazine.

So far, I am well pleased with the purchase and my decision to stick with the purchase despite the long wait (since March). The gun is starting to loosen up. So far the break-in has gone better than even my Kahr PM9, which is my favorite EDC.

I will update my next shooting results soon.

Cheers!

Good report....Glad you tried the FMJ with success....I was told by Kimber CS that the gun was not really designed to fire anything but the JHP 124 or 147gr. Mine too has been 100% after 85rds after replacing the barrel.
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    Good report....Glad you tried the FMJ with success....I was told by Kimber CS that the gun was not really designed to fire anything but the JHP 124 or 147gr. Mine too has been 100% after 85rds after replacing the barrel.
    Cool. I'll continue to post the "facts" from my actual shooting sessions. I'll try to stay away from the rumors about production lapses, Kimber bankruptcy, exploding guns, etc...

This is a really promising CCW EDC, but I am going to put it through a trial to prove it is reliable.

Agreed....I had rather hear from a guy with the gun in hand testing and posting than the "well, I heard" ones.

Thanks again....At first I though about getting shed of the Solo, but now I'm loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    I stay away from expensive guns that might work. I have read plenty of negative reports from owners on this site and others.
    e
    My local dealer told me it takes 500 to 1000 rounds to break in, so I bought a Glock, half the price and it works every time.

Yeah, I love my Glock 19. It is the pistol that I have fired more than any other in my shooting lifetime. If I could only have one gun, it would be my Gen 3 Glock 19.

And BTW, Glock is having some not-insignificant issues with the Gen 4 models (extractor and recoil spring assemblies).

I picked up my Solo April 10 of this year, several hundred rounds down range I could not be happier. NOT ONE FAILURE with recommended ammo
    Got tired of waiting on Kimber to come out with the extended mag so I made my own... took an extra base plate from a 45 mag and filed it down to the Solo mag spec screwed on the extension and there it is, feels better in the hand.
    Also check out my SGM grips, Michael is a stand up guy that does good work!
    Also my Garret holster one of the best makers out there!.

I reckon I aint heard no recall,

J.W.
    NRA Life
    SASS 96744

"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is"

Oh solo mio

Orderd my Solo back in April and received it last week.....Have not been to the range with it yet.

...Here is what I have. Need 2 hands and 2 thumbs to release mag. Mag has ammo in it. W/o ammo in mag it releases a little easier....

Will not eject round when pulling slide back...Other then that no problems. Joke..

How can a gun maker like Kimber build such a costly gun and make it function like a piece of crap ?

SN.S11052_ _

Quote Originally Posted by charmincarmens View Post
    Orderd my Solo back in April and received it last week.....Have not been to the range with it yet.

...Here is what I have. Need 2 hands and 2 thumbs to release mag. Mag has ammo in it. W/o ammo in mag it releases a little easier....

Will not eject round when pulling slide back...Other then that no problems. Joke..

How can a gun maker like Kimber build such a costly gun and make it function like a piece of crap ?

SN.S11052_ _
    You could put my name on this post and it would be my same experience....just to start....

Wow nothing but problems with the Solo.... Anyone ever actually have one that functions from factory?
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links