Kimber Solo Carry: Recall?

This is a discussion on Kimber Solo Carry: Recall? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had recently picked up a Solo and had an absolutely miserable range experience. I left the gun with the gunsmith and call Kimber this ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Kimber Solo Carry: Recall?

HP [OP]

Kimber Solo Carry: Recall?

I had recently picked up a Solo and had an absolutely miserable range experience. I left the gun with the gunsmith and call Kimber this morning. They didn't mention a recall, but told me to send in the gun. I was having numerous issues, one of which was the trigger not resetting. I went to the gunsmith to pick it up and spoke to him to see if he was able to figure out the problem. That's when he told me they are on recall and he learned about it last week. Can anyone confirm this?

2. Remove Ads

More complaints.....

Kimber Solo recalled? Production ceased? - Glock Talk

This is typical of Kimber, being tight lipped about issues and keeping customers in the dark.... hence why they are on my never give money to list.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    THIS may be somewhat informative.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

There is no recall as of 9/2/2011. I talked to CS at Kimber concerning mine back for 2nd time.
    http://www.treasureislandbedandbreakfast.com
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry | HK P7M8, P2000sk, P30s | Sig P238, P239SAS, 1911 C3, P232, P938 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Kimber Covert Ultra II | Browning HP, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed| Walter PPK(1966) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose |

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    It's unfortunate. I've read many troublesome reports about the pistol. I hope they get the kinks worked out.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

My understanding is that there is no recall, but production has ceased. (quite a while ago.)
    If you go to the Kimber site, they say the Solo's are not in stock. And pre-orders are closed.
    What's odd is if you go to Gunbroker, there are usually about 6 for sale. I would assume those were
    the first one's out the door before the production was stopped. Beware.

HP [OP]
    Well I decided to skip the back and forth with Kimber. This pistol left a bad taste in my mouth and at this point isn't worth owning. Especially with so many others having similar problems. My FFL made me an offer I couldn't refuse. They give me a full refund and cut me a great deal so I traded the Kimber back to them for a Walther PPS AND a Glock 27. They came down on the prices, plus Walther has a $50 rebate if you purchase a PPS right now. I'm much happier this way and have two guns that work reliably.
    10thmtn likes this.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    More complaints.....

Kimber Solo recalled? Production ceased? - Glock Talk

This is typical of Kimber, being tight lipped about issues and keeping customers in the dark.... hence why they are on my never give money to list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    THIS may be somewhat informative.
    Quote Originally Posted by imthduke View Post
    There is no recall as of 9/2/2011. I talked to CS at Kimber concerning mine back for 2nd time.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    It's unfortunate. I've read many troublesome reports about the pistol. I hope they get the kinks worked out.

I'm shocked

Ok, maybe not.

The Solo looked like it had great promise. And though I have no personal hands on experience with Kimber, I have read enough reports to probably shy away from them.

I remember someone writing once that if Kimber spent as much money on R&D as they do advertising, they'd have no problems.

Good luck to all the Solo owners out there.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    The Solo looked like it had great promise. And though I have no personal hands on experience with Kimber, I have read enough reports to probably shy away from them.

I remember someone writing once that if Kimber spent as much money on R&D as they do advertising, they'd have no problems.

Good luck to all the Solo owners out there.
    Yeah, I've thought that myself. I've had several bad encounters with Kimber products over the years, I've yet to get a "good one". I've since stopped trying and moved on to competing products. I was hopeful the Solo represented a new era at Kimber with an improvement in quality. They've always made a nice looking handgun, I've just never been able get one that lived up to my functional expectations.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    Yeah, I've thought that myself. I've had several bad encounters with Kimber products over the years, I've yet to get a "good one". I've since stopped trying and moved on to competing products. I was hopeful the Solo represented a new era at Kimber with an improvement in quality. They've always made a nice looking handgun, I've just never been able get one that lived up to my functional expectations.
    When I saw it @ SHOT I was intrigued to see if they could pull this off.

But then I saw all I needed to on their web page regarding the Solo.

"Kimber quality has come to micro-compact pistols." Yep, sure has.

I was really looking forward to the Solo. So much so I was on a waiting list to buy one.

After a friend who got one shared his experiences, it completely dried up all interest I once had.

This is a defensive carry gun, plain and simple. Reliability is not a luxury, it's an absolute must.

I decided on another 9mm, at around the same price. Though it's not as small as the Solo, this gun is a sub-compact 9mm and it is incredibly accurate and reliable, and built to last.

I don't think I could give a gun in this class a higher review....and I've shot and owned a TON of them.

The HK P2000SK, a truly worthy carry gun in every respect. I'll take its slightly larger size, in exchange for all the things it does so well.

Unlike the Glock 26, the V3 has a decocker, which was one of the deciding factors for me between it and the 26.
    كافر AMERICAN INFIDEL كافر

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    My understanding is that there is no recall, but production has ceased. (quite a while ago.)
    If you go to the Kimber site, they say the Solo's are not in stock. And pre-orders are closed.
    What's odd is if you go to Gunbroker, there are usually about 6 for sale. I would assume those were
    the first one's out the door before the production was stopped. Beware.
    What one should beware of is rumors and misinformation, I do not believe you were on the Kimber America | Fine 1911 Pistols and Rifles site but on a vendor site that sells Kimbers Kimber 1911 Firearms and Accessories | Kimber Solo Carry as for me and my 4 Kimbers including a Solo, I reckon they are all just fine. This thread has no new info or is no different than any other bashing or mine is good thread.
    Good luck to all no matter what make or model firearm you own or prefer.
    NRA Life
    SASS 96744

"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is"

You must be be one of the lucky ones.
    I've had 4 Kimbers and used Wilson mags with each. I couldn't get through a 100 ct box of ammo without having at least 1 or 2 jams...usually a stove-pipe. They are great looking firearms and I REALLY wanted them to work because I spent so much money but I could never trust them to carry on a daily basis. 98% or 99% reliable sounds pretty good on paper but if the airlines crashed 1 or 2 planes for every hundred that took off nobody would fly!
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Slow down...there is NO recall!!! and production continues...

I received my new Kimber Solo yesterday. I ordered it on March 21st, and the gun store called me Friday evening. I put 50 rounds through it and shot the tightest groups that I have ever fired at 10 yards - from any gun - and this is a micro-9mm. This gun has the sweetest trigger of any gun that I have ever shot, and that makes a huge difference in a gun this small. I carry a Kahr PM9 every day, and I really like the Kahr trigger, but the Kimber is an order of magnitude better.

The gun store already had extra mags for the Solo, so I purchased two extras. The Solo fits nicely into my DeSantis SuperFly pocket holster, and I am looking for an IWB holster for the gun now. Also, I am really loving the ambi-thumb safety, and am reconsidering my opinion of condition one carry....more on that later. Also, there is NO WAY that you will accidentally eject the mag using the ambi-mag release - it requires a very deliberate action to release.

I will review the gun later compared to my Kahr PM9, but for now, just let me say that "rumours of the Kimber Solo's demise have been greatly exagerated"!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links