Walther P22 questions.

Walther P22 questions.

This is a discussion on Walther P22 questions. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok I know its not really a concealed (or combat) carry pistol, but its time for my 10yo daughter to get her own pistol. We ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar

Walther P22 questions.

Ok I know its not really a concealed (or combat) carry pistol, but its time for my 10yo daughter to get her own pistol. We looked at alot of 22s today and she really liked the Walther P22. Has anyone had any experience with it? Thanks for your input.

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

My FIL has one and I have shot it many times. It's a fantastic little pistol. The only thing I have a problem is that it seems to have more FTF than it should but that may be due to poor ammo.
    Last edited by Packman73; August 9th, 2006 at 04:45 PM.

Do a search they have a bad rap if not here check out rimfirecentral.com

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Great for learning how to clear malfunctions!

Bought one for my Wife and we both got frustrated very rapidly with FTF after FTF . . . and that was with 5 different brands of hi-vel ammo.

I polished the feed ramp, cleaned it up and sold it. New owner says it seems to feed fine now! I'm glad for him.

The P22 also has a lot of what many refer to as "pot metal" in it. All I'll say is that it isn't high quality steel (the parts that are metal)!

We settled on a S&W 622 (older model) and love it. Another option is the Browning Buckmark.

I wouldn't recommend it.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PackerfanXD
    My FIL has one and I have shoot it many times. It's a fantastic little pistol. The only thing I have a problem is that it seems to have more FTE than it should but that may be due to poor ammo.
    Mine will feed fire and eject everything I've given it. They're sweet little guns, but like anything else, sometimes you get a bad one. I put 2 bricks (1100 rounds) through it during one session on Thanksgiving day last year, and it didn't miss a beat.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

I dont have any complaints about mine. Just keep it clean and find the ammo that it likes and you'll love it. Mine seems to prefer the coated lead bullets over the jacketed ones for some reason. I dont mind, just a bit more cleaning.

Fed, if you want something you/she will have (working) for a long time, get a Ruger MkII/III. The P22s are (IMHO) overly complex, internally, and use non-standard alloy for the receiver and slide- waaay overpriced for what they are. Had one, sold it as parts.

several of my children have p22's, including my 5 year old daughter who shoots it really well. occassionally they will fail to feed the cheaper bulk 22 ammo, but i have never had a failure with cci ammunition. theyre great fun.

mine is ammo finicky, but when it works, it's great fun. I started my little boyu on it a couple of weeks ago. The DA pull is a bit hard for him, he has to use 2 index fingers, but after that it's no problem. :)

I've had mine for over a year now and have never had a problem with it. Same with my dad. I think there are just some bad ones out on the market. I run cci stinger ammo through mine and it just eats that stuff up! I've also used the cheaper bulk ammo and never had a problem with that either. I feel bad for all you guys that got crappy P22s because it is definitely one of the more "fun to shoot" guns in my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    Fed, if you want something you/she will have (working) for a long time, get a Ruger MkII/III. The P22s are (IMHO) overly complex, internally, and use non-standard alloy for the receiver and slide- waaay overpriced for what they are. Had one, sold it as parts.
    Thats my recommendation as well find a MK II or else a 22/45MK II

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Ive shot one on occasion, and had a few feeding problems, but still much prefer my Ruger mkII.
    Fear No Evil.

I'm very happy with mine. No problem with FTFs or FTEs at all except with Remington Yellowjacket ammo.

Be sure to check out RimfireCentral.com forum. They have a huge amount of info about the P22.
    Springfield XD9SC
    Walther P22

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    If you get one, save your nickles and dimes and get a supressor for it. It'll cost more than the gun itself (price plus $200 Class III tax), but it's a real hoot (my son's BB gun is louder). I shoot mine supressed all of the time. As a matter of fact the only time I take the supressor off is at cleaning time.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

I've owned a P22 for over a year with no problems, it is picky on ammo. I use CCI Blazer and have had on FTF yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links