Kimber Custom II

This is a discussion on Kimber Custom II within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I'm a procrastinator at times. I have been tooling around w/ the idea of getting a 1911 for many years. I mainly own and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Kimber Custom II

Kimber Custom II

Well I'm a procrastinator at times. I have been tooling around w/ the idea of getting a 1911 for many years. I mainly own and carry Glocks, still love them and will still carry them. But I have always found the 1911 to be a sharp looking weapon. It just looks bad a$$!

In the past I have balked at the purchase of the 1911 because of their high price, being finicky w/ HPs, and transitioning to using a thumb safety. I have made the argument that after so many years of shooting Glocks that if I carried a 1911 I may not engage the thumb safety when I need to. I know that if I dedicated myself to the transition, I could get used to the thumb safety. But my duty weapon is a Glock 23, so I'd prefer my off-duty weapon be a Glock.

So, here I am faced w/ the opportunity to get a Kimber Custom II for a good price. I know that it is the base model, no frills 1911. It weighs 38oz unloaded, so it will be a good bit heavier than what I am used to carrying. But I'm not buying it to replace my carry Glocks. I'm basically seizing the opportunity to make a purchase that I have wanted to make for so many years, but just never jumped on it.

I have shot a full size Kimber and a 4" model in the past. And they are damn sweet shooters. I know that there are some people that LOVE Kimbers and there are those that had a bad experience and HATE Kimbers. I would love to have the cash to plunk down on a Wilson Combat or one of the other high end 1911's, but that is not the case. The price is right and there is a small window of opportunity right now. Which brings me to another fear. I may absolutely loooove this gun and want to buy others which could be costly. Lol!

I should be placing my order soon and have her right around Christmas time. So it'll be awhile before I post my experience w/ the weapon. I'm also worried that my wife will recognize it as a new gun for me and break my shoes. Most of my purchases have been Glocks, so she never was able to tell when I made a new purchase. This will be a new horse in the stable and she may notice.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

2. Remove Ads

Honey, come quick, I spilled hot coffee on my old glock and look what it turned into!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

If you want it get it. I think everyone should have on 1911 in there collection. I have a Stainless II myself. Don't worry about the negatives comments about Kimber it can be said about any manufacturer. Kimber probably sells the most 1911's there will be lemons with any mass produced item.

PM me for a husband's permission note to buy a 1911...

You'll love the Kimber, but I have a hard time understanding a Glock Guy's need for a 1911...but go for it!

One Kimber = Two Glocks...I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    PM me for a husband's permission note to buy a 1911...

You'll love the Kimber, but I have a hard time understanding a Glock Guy's need for a 1911...but go for it!

One Kimber = Two Glocks...I'm just sayin'...
    LOL! Actually the price I'm getting it for doesn't quite equal 2 Glocks. It really isn't a need. I have plenty of Glocks. It is much more of a want. I've been wanting a 1911 for a long time. I'm by no means abandoning my Glocks. They are still my go to carry weapons.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    NY27--I have 3 Kimbers that I rotate as daily carry--I really like my Kimbers. However, I would suggest that you let your wife know BEFORE you buy it--payback is, well you know........
    NY27 likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    LOL! Actually the price I'm getting it for doesn't quite equal 2 Glocks. It really isn't a need. I have plenty of Glocks. It is much more of a want. I've been wanting a 1911 for a long time. I'm by no means abandoning my Glocks. They are still my go to carry weapons.
    I like Glocks and some day I want to own a 1911. Earlier today, I received an email from Bud's that may be of interest
    Kimber Custom II .45 ACP SHIPS FREE $700 for a Kimber Custom II. Seems like a good deal to me.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    I like Glocks and some day I want to own a 1911. Earlier today, I received an email from Bud's that may be of interest
    Kimber Custom II .45 ACP SHIPS FREE $700 for a Kimber Custom II. Seems like a good deal to me.
    That's a good price. They list for $886. The deal I'm getting is actually a little better. But thank you.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Better than 7 bills...you must be stealing it!
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Quote Originally Posted by FLSlim View Post
    Better than 7 bills...you must be stealing it!
    Yes, that is why I cannot pass it up right now. There are times when you have to jump on an opportunity.
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Take a look at the new Ruger SR1911. Reasonably priced, solid gun. You may have a hard time getting your hands on one but hey, patience is a virtue!

Just picked up a new Kimber Custom II, 9mm, all SS, for $800.00, and though I got a very good deal. Go get the one you want, you'll be happy!! You can always tell your wife it's an investment.
    " The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson

I have 3 Kimbers - a 3", 4", and 5", the latter an original Stainless Custom. They are all great and I carry the first two in rotation. Don't walk, run to pick up the Custom II. You won't regret it. Tell your wife that it's for the children's sake.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Go for it. If your wife hasn't noticed the glocks reproducing I don't think she will notice this. If she does notice just tell her you have had it for quite a while and she must not have paid attention.
    Might work and in the end you will have a Kimber to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    Yes, that is why I cannot pass it up right now. There are times when you have to jump on an opportunity.
    Go pay that fellow NOW!!!!!!!!!!!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links