HK Pistols

HK Pistols

This is a discussion on HK Pistols within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I have owned many of the major manufacturers, but never owned an HK. I honestly don't know why, but I never did. So now ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HK Pistols

VIP Member

HK Pistols

Hi,

I have owned many of the major manufacturers, but never owned an HK. I honestly don't know why, but I never did. So now I am seriously looking at the P30 or the P2000. I would like to know which is better and would love a break down of the trigger variants with opinions of the different variants.

Any help would be great.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Of all the trigger variants available, you'll probably see only two for sale... the standard LEM or the DA/SA. Which you choose will depend on a personal desire. Both are good triggers.

Either pistol is very nice to shoot, both have low recoil, omething HK is a master at lessening and are accurate and reliable. The P30 is a joy to hold. The ergonomics are unbelievably good. I'd go for a P30 over the P2000 just because of the multiple combinations of adjustable grip.

Pics to illustrate?
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

I went through the same decision, ultimately settling on the P2000 in 9mm with the LEM trigger.

The P30 is an evolutionary upgrade of the P2000 - you get more ergonomically customizable grips and a full picatinny rail, as well as a slightly longer barrel in the same overall length (7"). The P30 also has a 15rd capacity in 9mm over the 13rds in the P2000. The big difference that swung me to the P2000 though was that the P30 is a half-inch longer in the grip, which combined with a rougher panel texture (some say it rubs them raw) made the P2000 more CC friendly for me. With the flush mag baseplates installed, I honestly think the P2000 is the best all-around 9 out there, at least for a lefty like myself. The mag release is one thing HK's and Walthers get knocked for, but honestly it feels much more natural to me than the button release on my Sig P229. The HK's are fully ambidextrous with their dual mag and slide releases, which makes it just that much more useful to operate with a single hand.

As for the variants, the first thing you need to decide is whether you want DA/SA or DAO-tyoe (or LEM in HK terms, which is similar to Sig's DAK). The DA in the DA/SA is HEAVYYYY . . . like 11 lbs heavy. SA is about 4.5 lbs. That DA/SA setup is the V3 (note: decocking lever is located on the rear of the pistol next to the hammer, keeping with the ambi control scheme). The LEM, which is my preference, gives a consistent weight pull with restrike capability (though I still prefer TRB if there's a FTF - which I have yet to experience with mine). The standard V2 is about 7lbs, the V1 is a light 4.5lb or so pull, and V4 is in the 6lb range. There is a traditional DAO as well, which is V5, but those are real uncommon as most opting for a DAO style trigger go with one of the LEM versions. The LEM's are tougher to come by in stock at local shops, and what they usually do have are the V2's. However, you can swap various springs to change between LEM versions as well.

To simplify your options, think in terms of 11/4.5 vs consistent 4.5, 6, or 7. Whatever you decide will steer you to either a V3 or V1, V2, or V4, respectively. I went with a V2 and just had GrayGuns work their magic on it. They reduced the reset to what feels like almost nothing, reduced the pull to a little over 5lbs (my request), and polish and nickel-coat all the internals. Pricey but they come highly recommended as basically the best HK smiths in the country.

Best of luck, and above all keep in mind that you really can't go wrong. I absolutely love my P2000, and wholeheartedly recommend HKs to anyone provided they're willing to stomach the price.

VIP Member
    The only HK I owned was a P7 and I loved it. I sure wish I had kept the darn thing'.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Own a P30 in 9mm, a P2000 SK in 9mm, and a P2000 SK in 357 sig/40 S & W. The SKs which are my current carry, both have the LEM triggers and I found them extremely accurate and easy to operate! The only thing I've modified is I've replaced the magazine release with the larger one from the HK45c. This greatly improves the reload time. Swaping out a barrel to get from 40 S & W to 357 SIG also saves. And all are rated for +P+.

The P30 is DA/SA with decocker. The first round trigger pull and the reset on the P30 leaves me wanting for the LEM, however my range co-horts like this set up. I'm replacing the sights with some Dawson fiber optics as I'm looking at shooting some IDPA this winter with the P30.

IMHO - If I'm choosing between the P30 & P2000 in 9mm I'm going with the P30 in either V2 (LEM) or V3 (DA/SA w/Decocker). In 40 S & W I'm going with the P2000 as it offers you the 40 S & W and with another ±$200 you get 357 SIG. This is not an option with the P30. If you going to shoot Comp. the P30L in 9mm is the way to go.

YMMV

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

In my long search for a compact 9mm it came down to the P30 or CZ P-01. I ended up with the CZ, but the P30 was a very well put together, ergonomic handgun. Id choose it over the P2000.
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    So now I need to test the variants as the trigger means a lot to me.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I love my P2000 with the LEM trigger. The P2000 is also easier to carry concealed than the P30.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I have a P30 9mm V3 DA/SA, absolutely love it. I carry in a Blackhawk pancake style holster. Its my first HK and will not be the last, they are very finely crafted.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I'd suggest thinking about what uses you envision this pistol serving before you get to the trigger decision. My humble suggestions:

Primarily as range/HD: P30 long slide
    Primarily as range/HD with occasional CC: P30 short slide
    Good all-around use though not "perfect" for any one task: P2000
    Primarily as a CC: P2000sk (I would say P7 too, but sticking to in-production models here)

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I haven't tried the light LEM but it gets rave reviews. I have the HK45c and it took some getting use to but I was able to get consistent with the Single action of my V1 version. It's not a 1911 however. I have rented a P2000 in .40 and was extremely accurate with it, just like I am with my 45c though. I'd recommend shooting/renting a P30 though. Like it was said the grip is great and can be tailored to your liking. It also has a couple more rounds.

The P2000 is what the US Border Patrol carrie so it must be relatively rugged. I think If I bought one it would ne the P30 or the HK45. Both look great and I have neard not bad reviews at all. JD has the P30 and the HK45 so you might PM him and see what he can tell you.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Definitely would help to have a better idea of its use, but I'll try to offer some further general info...

First the straight skinny:
    P30 has more size and ergonomic options in the different grip panels including replacement side panels in addition to back grip.
    These same grips are often maligned for their abrasive surface where carry is the application and may not be comfortable for all dress/modes of carry.
    No safety is available on the P2000 or the P2000SK (the subcompact little brother).
    When looking at the P30, you have a P30, P30L, P30S and P30LS. The L designates a longer slide and barrel, while the S designates the presence of a thumb safety.

Both pistols are somewhat unique among HKs in that their decocker is on the back of the slide to the left of the hammer instead of a downward motion on the safety. They also both have the longest reset of all HKs I've fired. That doesn't bother everyone but is worthy of mention especially if triggers are a primary focus for you.

A bit more about HK triggers:
    Practically all modern HKs come with, or can be converted to, a dizzying number of trigger options. 3 main categories are DA/SA, DAO, and LEM. In each of those there are several options varying by each model including different weights of trigger, ambidextrous controls, presence or lack of safety and presence or lack of decocker.

DAO and DA/SA there's not a lot to say about if one is familiar with these trigger types.

LEM (Law Enforcement Modification) is a bit of an oddity if you've never shot one; it is a modified DAO in which the hammer spring is precocked by the slide action such that while pulling the trigger does cock and release the hammer, the weight usually attached to cocking the hammer is missing. That said, personally I find it feels much more like an sa trigger with a really long slack takeup in so much as there is almost no weight to the trigger until hitting the break point, at which there is a quite well defined and reasonably crisp break as opposed to an even weight all the way through like the first pull on a DA/SA decocked or revolver double pull. Like or dislike of this system I suspect is as varied as personal opinion of any given firearm's grip ergonomics. LEM comes in a range of weights from ~4.5 lbs to ~8 lbs.

A bit of personal opinion commentary:
    Both are excellent weapons and I don't think you'll be disappointed with either. For carry the P2000SK wins tons of points and for range/HD I think the P30L(S) gets a slight advantage for barrel and slide length. For mixed use if the size isn't a problem for you I think its a toss-up between the P2000 and P30(S) - if the grip texture on the P30 is a problem get the P2000. If not you can most likely make a P30 more comfortable for your hand with the greater number of grip options.

Although I hate to add to your quandary, without knowing why you narrowed the HK list down to P30 or P2000 I think I would do you disservice if I did not suggest you look at a USP or USP compact (depending on the desired function). The compact is very similar in size to the P2000 and P30 and very concealable. While a bit blocky and lacking a standard rail, the ergonomics are vastly improved with a $10 hogue handall, and rail adapters are quite easy to find. They shoot very well, are absolute tanks, built to take more abuse than the P series, and carry a few advantages in the trigger department. Lacking the oddly placed decocker, any USP trigger variant can be converted to any other trigger variant with a minimal time and cash investment. The reset and reuptake on the USPs are significantly shorter than P series, and on the full size USPs two additional trigger configurations are available; DA/SA match and hybrid competition. The DA/SA match trigger has reduced reset/reuptake and an over travel stop, and the hybrid competition is an LEM trigger with reduced reset, reuptake, and over travel stop.

-424D57

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 424D57 View Post
    ... and on the full size USPs two additional trigger configurations are available; DA/SA match and hybrid competition. The DA/SA match trigger has reduced reset/reuptake and an over travel stop, and the hybrid competition is an LEM trigger with reduced reset, reuptake, and over travel stop.

-424D57
    The USP Match trigger is without doubt the best HK trigger available. If the gun is primarily for range use, this is an option to consider.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links