Will Glock ever make a single stack 9mm? - Page 3

Will Glock ever make a single stack 9mm?

This is a discussion on Will Glock ever make a single stack 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by afojc Actually the Diamond Back DB9 is a Glock.......sorta........ from what I've been told,Glock couldn't import their small 9s or 380s here ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Will Glock ever make a single stack 9mm?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by afojc View Post
    Actually the Diamond Back DB9 is a Glock.......sorta........ from what I've been told,Glock couldn't import their small 9s or 380s here so they simply started a company here, Diamond Back, based in Fla...........least what I been told by a gun dealer I deal with.
    I was told that Diamondback licenses the Glock design and makes the single stack 9mms. Not the same quality, though.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I was told that Diamondback licenses the Glock design and makes the single stack 9mms. Not the same quality, though.
    Hmmm... Apparently Kahr thinks they should have properly licensed their design: Kahr Arms Pursues Patent Infringement Lawsuit Against Diamondback Firearms - Firearms - Zimbio

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - For width, yes. For weight, 1911's still leave a lot to be desired compared to the single stack 9mm's out there.
    I held an EMP last week and I didn't feel it was heavy at all. Still, I would apply some custom work to suit me, and that would certainly tip the scales of reasonable costs. Oh well...
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I held an EMP last week and I didn't feel it was heavy at all. Still, I would apply some custom work to suit me, and that would certainly tip the scales of reasonable costs. Oh well...
    - Weight sensitivity is different for everyone. Some people like a gun to disappear when they carry and others don't mind the extra weight. I'm in the former category. The PM9 is 15oz. (unloaded) while the EMP is 26oz. (unloaded). That's a huge difference to someone like me who is looking for the gun to disappear. When I carry my Glock 19, I never forget I have it on. When I carry my PM9, I know it's there, but I'm not constantly reminded that it's there.

I find the 26 to be the perfect size for it's intended purpose. I don't think that the grip is too thick. I held a PPS and it seemed bigger than the 26 to me. Maybe a little thinner, but the overall size of the 26 seems smaller, yet it can shoot like a 19 or 17.

To each his own.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Yeah single column magazines are great, the trim handle feels much better in the hand than a big fat double stack, and 9 rounds is enough I think. Star used to make a cute little 1911 clone in 9mm called the Star BM I think, God it felt great in the hand and it fit flat in a waistband like you wouldn't believe.

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    I find the 26 to be the perfect size for it's intended purpose. I don't think that the grip is too thick. I held a PPS and it seemed bigger than the 26 to me. Maybe a little thinner, but the overall size of the 26 seems smaller, yet it can shoot like a 19 or 17.

To each his own.
    I had a PPS at the same time as my G26.
    The G 26 is actually a little smaller in everything but the width, and that is just .25" thicker.
    I carry OWB so the .25" is insignificant.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I too would be interested in seeing a Kahr, or LC9 test 50-100,000 rounds. I think the answer to the OPs question would be therin.
    Personally, I'd have no interest in such a test. The Kahr pistols and the LC9 are small, lightweight concealed carry pistols, meant to be carried a lot and shot a little. 10,000 rounds would be a more appropriate test for one of these little pistols, as they are not full duty service pistols. Different guns for different purposes.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockwatcher View Post
    The world needs a truly reliable mini-.380, where Ruger, S&W, Kahr et.al. have conspicuously failed to provide one, but maybe Glock knows better than to try, or feels no need to.
    THE answer to this......the Sig P232!!
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Repeat...

I don't buy into the whole idea of guns that are "meant to be carried a lot but only shot a little." If you are going to carry a gun, then IMHO you should train with that gun - as much as possible.

It is not uncommon to see Glocks that are decades old, with tens of thousands of rounds through them. Some parts may have been replaced, like springs, but the frame and major components are usually original. I'm just not sure you can get that level of longevity with a lighter slide riding on a slimmer frame.

Also - the thinner guns have bare metal mags. Glock uses polymer over metal for their mags - the metal reinforces the polymer, while the polymer cushions the metal if the mag gets dropped. Sure, the Glock mags (and the pistol itself) are thus thicker, but the payoff is less probability of malfunction caused by busted up mags. This is one reason why I prefer Glock to similar designs like the XD and M&P - JMHO.
    ExactlyMyPoint likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    This is one reason why I prefer Glock to similar designs like the XD and M&P - JMHO.
    - Those are the reasons I keep hope alive for a Glock 9mm. I love my Glock 19 and Kahr PM9, but I think a single stack Glock 9mm would be the ideal subcompact.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceapea View Post
    THE answer to this......the Sig P232!!
    Although the P232 is a fine pistol (I have a now-retired stainless P230) it's hardly a mini-.380 by today's standards.

The same goes for the Walther PP/PPK/PPK/S and PK380, Mauser HSc, as well as the Browning and Beretta High Capacity .380's. There are now 9mm's and even .40's that carry as easily as these medium to large-sized .380's (But they do kick harder)!

I can't consider a .380 a mini unless it's at least as small as the current SIG P238.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    Personally, I'd have no interest in such a test. The Kahr pistols and the LC9 are small, lightweight concealed carry pistols, meant to be carried a lot and shot a little. 10,000 rounds would be a more appropriate test for one of these little pistols, as they are not full duty service pistols. Different guns for different purposes.
    Really? I would hate to think I paid that much for a gun made by the Moonies, such as the Kahr, but had to limit the amount of shooting I could do with it because of it's petite build.

I don't weigh 90 at 4ft 5 inches like the Asian model in the "Slim is in" Kahr ads. So therefor, I'll take a man sized gun, one that I know can handle shooting whatever load I want indefintely.

I know of many gals that carry large guns everyday with no problem.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I don't weigh 90 at 4ft 5 inches like the Asian model in the "Slim is in" Kahr ads. So therefor, I'll take a man sized gun, one that I know can handle shooting whatever load I want indefintely. I know of many gals that carry large guns everyday with no problem.
    Ahhhhhh yes, the "man sized" gun. The gun that will save you from the elephant sneaking up behind you.
    Vaquero 45 likes this.

Really? I would hate to think I paid that much for a gun made by the Moonies, such as the Kahr, but had to limit the amount of shooting I could do with it because of it's petite build.

I don't weigh 90 at 4ft 5 inches like the Asian model in the "Slim is in" Kahr ads. So therefor, I'll take a man sized gun, one that I know can handle shooting whatever load I want indefintely.

I know of many gals that carry large guns everyday with no problem.
    Don't really know much about Moonies, but they can't be any worse than any other collection of people who believe in fairy tales and need someone to think for them. That's a fairly broad section of humanity, unfortunately.

Truth be told, I'm not sure I shoot enough to reach the end of useful service life for a Kahr. The design seems to be sound, with more slide to rail contact than a Glock. I don't see any horror stories of them falling apart after a few thousand rounds. I've seen more than one police department have problems with supposedly "reliable" service pistols in actual use, including failures with Glocks well before their 1,000,000,000 round service life, so I know that the most important statistic for me is how MY pistol runs. If I see signs of wear after a few thousand rounds, I can always purchase another pistol. They are not that expensive, and I'm not the type to keep a polymer frame pistol as a keepsake for my great-great-great grandchildren. They are tools, and if one starts to wear out, I get another one. Seems like common sense to me.

I've got a man-sized gun, was born with it, and don't need to compensate for anything.

Regarding firearms, I also find a Kahr CW45 to be just about the right size for my needs, in an effective caliber, and with sufficient capacity for the generally tame areas that I frequent. American made, a proper grip angle, and a great trigger, to boot. I suppose I could see the need for handgun size overcompensation if I tended to hang out where elephants sneak up behind me, or if I was worried that a woman somewhere had a .44 in her purse, and I was an insecure man who based his "manliness" on something as ridiculous as what kind of gun he carried. I hope to never reach that level of pathetic.
    slacking likes this.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links