Defensive Carry banner

Will Glock ever make a single stack 9mm?

32K views 108 replies 65 participants last post by  zcostilla 
#1 ·
I have been in the market for a single stack 9mm. I ended up buying the Walther PPS (pics and range report to come) but I was wondering why Glock (or Springfield XDs) do not make a single stack 9mm. Doing a search, there have been rumors of that happening for at least 3+ maybe even 5+ years, but it does not seem to be happening. I believe there is a huge market out there for a more concealable, smaller 9mm than what they make. I would have preferred to stay with the Glock platform, but I couldn't.

Thoughts?

#4 ·
I can't speak for Glock, but as a long time user, I believe their success has alot to do with extreme durability. As RetSup said, why mess with it.

#5 ·
That and the Glock Carbine are a point of joking on the Glock forums. They would sell them faster than they could make them, but just dont seem real interested in listening to the customers ideas. Its pretty common knowledge across the firearms industry that if Gaston Glock had his way all Glocks would be a Gen 1 Glock 17. The slogan Glock Perfection is not just a marketing idea...it is an ingrained belief and way of life in his opinion. So the other stuff is just gravy he is making for the masses who realy dont know what is best. They will make more innovative customer driven products when he is dead, and not until then.

#101 ·
He is the genius behind this product just like Steve Jobs was the genius behind Apple. Look what has happened to Apple since his death. Same thing would happen to Glock.

#6 ·
In fact Glock has "messed with" the original product a whole lot since the original version.

There have been four generations, versions in six calibers from compact to long slide in two basic frame sizes, with and without compensators, six calibers, including a single stack version in .45 ACP.

A single stack 9mm/.40 seems a logical addition to the line, though I doubt the slightly slimmer grip in 9mm/.40 would be worth the reduced capacity, unlike the much-improved grip offered by the single stack .45 ACP Glock 36 over the larger Glock .45/10mm's chunky handle.

I'd like to see if Glock could offer a true .380 version (not the 9mm/.40-sized Glock 25/28). The world needs a truly reliable mini-.380, where Ruger, S&W, Kahr et.al. have conspicuously failed to provide one, but maybe Glock knows better than to try, or feels no need to.

#10 ·
I'd like to see if Glock could offer a true .380 version (not the 9mm/.40-sized Glock 25/28). The world needs a truly reliable mini-.380, where Ruger, S&W, Kahr et.al. have conspicuously failed to provide one, but maybe Glock knows better than to try, or feels no need to.
have to disagree with this statement..although i cant speak for S&W,Kahr or KelTec's 380's my lcp has been flawless,not a single failure of any kind.infact,most lcp owners i'm aware of have the same positive feedback..by all accounts,the lcp is one of the most reliable,best valued pocket 380's available ..

#7 ·
i agree,Glock is loosing millions of dollars by not marketing a slim,single stack 9mm handgun..almost every other gun maker now has one..i guess one reason is Glock has the market cornered,supplying most law enforcement and military with their handguns..

#11 ·
I'm not an engineer, but one reason that Glock has not made a single stack 9mm or .40 may be that - it cannot be done, at least to Glock's long-term durability standards.

The 9mm, .357 Sig and .40 are high pressure cartridges, unlike the low pressure .45 - which Glock does make in a single stack design.

It would be interesting to see how many Kahr polymer pistols are out there with thousands upon thousands of rounds through them, which is common with Glocks. The lighter Kahr slide puts more stress on the frame - the energy of firing needs to go somewhere, and that is where it ends up. Less weight in the slide = less inertia to absorb energy = more energy transferred to the frame (and the shooter). It will also be interesting to see the long-term durability of the others - R9, DB9, PF9, LC9, 709, etc.

IIRC, the PPS is barely lighter in weight than the Glock 26, so it might fare better in long term durability - time will tell.

Some of the small 9mm pistols do not take +P ammo at all (R9), or are only rated for "occasional use (PF9, DB9)." There is a reason for that, and it might be a signal of long-term danger of battering of the frame.

In any case, this is just a guess on my part, but I think it is a factor in the lack of single-stack pistols from Glock (and others).

#74 ·
The post makes me laugh, it's so off base it's silly. The PPS and Shield are very reliable, lets call a spade a spade and say that Glock is resting on previous success and went from being first to a "me to" manufacturer. I love Glock, but S&W has came out with a great piece and is now stealing more and more Glock fans. It can be done and the excuse of being an engineering marvel seems lame.

#15 ·
10thmtn, I am not sure what thousands upon thousands of rds means, but as u spoke about the reliability and durability of kahr I wanted to say this... I have a pm9 that has over 5200rds(standard pressure only) through it and it is just like it was when I got it. It's been stone cold reliable and seems to be holding up well. I am in the same boat as the o.p. I was in the market for a single stack 9mm and really would have liked to had a single stack glock 26 but the fact is they don't make one "yet". so I bought the Kahr and will have it at least until something proves to be better(I had a keltec pf9 and the trigger sucked and didn't handle anything like the kahr, so I spent the extra coin and got the pm9, also this was just before the solo came out)

#20 ·
10thmtn, I am not sure what thousands upon thousands of rds means, but as u spoke about the reliability and durability of kahr I wanted to say this... I have a pm9 that has over 5200rds(standard pressure only)
Call us when it's 52,000 rounds. Just kidding, the pm 9 seems like the perfect ccw.

Glock won't make a single stack 9 unless sales of the 26 dry up. Why compete with yourself. I have no doubt Glock could build a single stack 9.
They make a .380, same size as the 26 but lighter (GLOCK). Their are legal reasons ( import laws) why some guns can't be imported to the U.S, a single stack 9 may fit this area. Something about guns must be sporting guns to be imported.

#17 ·
Probably not. Unfortunately. Since Glock makes "duty" weapons, I can't imagine they would want to get involved in for them, what would be a very small market.

I would love a single stack Glock but it would have to be the size of a PF9 for me to buy and carry instead of my G26.

#18 ·
If the Glock 36 is any indication of what Glock thinks a "single stack" pistol is (ridiculously thick mag for a single stack, odd "club foot" baseplate to complete the grip, grip that feels like a 1x3 board), then I'd take a pass. Besides, although quite a few people claim to own reliable G36 pistols, I've owned 2 of them, and they were the least reliable Glocks that I have ever owned. And it's not just me, for anyone who doesn't know the history of Glocks problem child, and only single-stack, the G36.

I would, however, be very interested in an M&P single stack 9mm, or the new Beretta Nano single stack 9mm.

#19 ·
I shoot a glock and enjoy it BUT i don't carry one. I carried a pf-9 also for several years, a revolver for 20+ before that and after buy'n a used kahr cw9 i then bought a cm9 that are my carry pistols now. Great pistols. Glock could have built one but instead they screwed up a very good older design. I have e=mailed glock several times asking if they will ever produce a small and thin concealed carry pistol like so many others have and never have got'n a reply even. Talked to them once and got a simple NO. So I will keep the 1 older glock i have for mainly house duty but see know reason to ever own another. I did buy a used g27, shot it ,did not like it and sold it. Small but not a real compact. Just a sawed off verstion of the others.

#21 ·
No matter what a company makes, there will always be people who have something to cry about. I personally have no issue with any gun I choose to carry. If you like it, you find a way to make it work.

I too would be interested in seeing a Kahr, or LC9 test 50-100,000 rounds. I think the answer to the OPs question would be therin.

#25 ·
It is also worth noting that designing a single stack glock that is actually thinner and smaller than a standard glock would take quite a bit of engineering as well. The tolerances between the small single stacks (walther PPS, kahrs, etc) and the larger duty type weapons (glocks, XDs) is very big. My Walther PPS has very tight tolerances and therefore has to be very well oiled and I can't take it to the range and shoot it like I would a glock or XD. The loose fit of the glocks and XDs is what allows you to go out and get mud and dirt into the gun or run it dry with hardly any oil and it will still function quite well.

Designing a single stack magazine like people envision would constitute a major change in Glock's philosophy of having a duty weapon that would perform in the toughest battlefield conditions. It would be interesting to see if Springfield tries to tweak the XD to make a thinner single stack but their 1911's kinda fill that niche already with the EMP and Micro Compact .45s

#24 ·
Frankly, I was wondering the same thing. The only Glock I ever owned was the G36 in 45 single stack and it was great! I've considered the PPS and the Springfield EMP as they both seem to balance well in my hand.

#26 ·
Will Glock ever make a single stack 9mm?
no - never, cause California, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Massachusetts, Washington DC and Chicago don't want their taxpaying peasants to own one.

:smile:

#30 ·
Actually the Diamond Back DB9 is a Glock.......sorta........ from what I've been told,Glock couldn't import their small 9s or 380s here so they simply started a company here, Diamond Back, based in Fla...........least what I been told by a gun dealer I deal with.

#35 ·
I find the 26 to be the perfect size for it's intended purpose. I don't think that the grip is too thick. I held a PPS and it seemed bigger than the 26 to me. Maybe a little thinner, but the overall size of the 26 seems smaller, yet it can shoot like a 19 or 17.

To each his own.

#36 ·
Yeah single column magazines are great, the trim handle feels much better in the hand than a big fat double stack, and 9 rounds is enough I think. Star used to make a cute little 1911 clone in 9mm called the Star BM I think, God it felt great in the hand and it fit flat in a waistband like you wouldn't believe.

#40 ·
I don't buy into the whole idea of guns that are "meant to be carried a lot but only shot a little." If you are going to carry a gun, then IMHO you should train with that gun - as much as possible.

It is not uncommon to see Glocks that are decades old, with tens of thousands of rounds through them. Some parts may have been replaced, like springs, but the frame and major components are usually original. I'm just not sure you can get that level of longevity with a lighter slide riding on a slimmer frame.

Also - the thinner guns have bare metal mags. Glock uses polymer over metal for their mags - the metal reinforces the polymer, while the polymer cushions the metal if the mag gets dropped. Sure, the Glock mags (and the pistol itself) are thus thicker, but the payoff is less probability of malfunction caused by busted up mags. This is one reason why I prefer Glock to similar designs like the XD and M&P - JMHO.

Reactions: ExactlyMyPoint
#41 ·
This is one reason why I prefer Glock to similar designs like the XD and M&P - JMHO.
- Those are the reasons I keep hope alive for a Glock 9mm. I love my Glock 19 and Kahr PM9, but I think a single stack Glock 9mm would be the ideal subcompact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.