Will Glock ever make a single stack 9mm? - Page 5

Will Glock ever make a single stack 9mm?

This is a discussion on Will Glock ever make a single stack 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 If the Glock 36 is any indication of what Glock thinks a "single stack" pistol is (ridiculously thick mag for ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Will Glock ever make a single stack 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    If the Glock 36 is any indication of what Glock thinks a "single stack" pistol is (ridiculously thick mag for a single stack, odd "club foot" baseplate to complete the grip, grip that feels like a 1x3 board), then I'd take a pass. Besides, although quite a few people claim to own reliable G36 pistols, I've owned 2 of them, and they were the least reliable Glocks that I have ever owned. And it's not just me, for anyone who doesn't know the history of Glocks problem child, and only single-stack, the G36.

I would, however, be very interested in an M&P single stack 9mm, or the new Beretta Nano single stack 9mm.
    I don't "claim" to own a reliable Glock 36; I do own one. 1000's of roundsand no problem. Just dont limp wrist it maybe? It's a light pistol and a big bullet, ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by druryj View Post
    I don't "claim" to own a reliable Glock 36; I do own one. 1000's of roundsand no problem. Just dont limp wrist it maybe? It's a light pistol and a big bullet, ya know.
    Ah yes, every Glock malfunction is the shooter's fault. Sorry, I forgot that rule.

A pistol that is overly susceptible to malfunctions due to grip issues isn't a very good choice for a defensive weapon. The bad guy might not stand still while I obtain the perfect grip and stance, and carefully squeeze a shot off while he stands there like a silhouette target.

Glad your pistol works fine. Congratulations.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    My opinion is that Glock will not make a single stack 9mm/40S&W pistol as it seems that with the tighter tolerances needed to make a smaller pistol that reliability will be a factor. Glock is known for reliability so why ruin their reputation with one product ?? They have so many compaines out there already offiering one and each of them have their own set or shared problems. Look at the problems that companies such as Sig, Taurus, Keltec, Kimber, etc. are having with theirs. I really hope they do make one, but again I doubt it. Again just my opinion. God Bless :)
    10thmtn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by druryj View Post
    ditto. G36 reliability issues have nothing to do with the gun and probably not a good choice for a novice shooter.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

glock made a mini 10mm.... and the g17. Good enough for me

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    ditto. G36 reliability issues have nothing to do with the gun and probably not a good choice for a novice shooter.
    No novice shooter here. Several years of shooting experience, including several years experience as a police officer, detective and sergeant. Never a problem out of various other Glocks that I have owned, in 9mm, .40 and .45 ACP. Several thousand rounds down the pipe of my issued G22 and personal G27, without issue.

Please enlighten me as to how the known G36 issues are the shooter's fault, and how a pistol that cannot function reliably when used by ANYONE who picks it up is a good choice for a defensive weapon.

BTW, my Kahr CW45 works fine, shooting one-handed, upside down, or with less than a firm grip. It's lighter than a G36.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    No novice shooter here. Several years of shooting experience, including several years experience as a police officer, detective and sergeant. Never a problem out of various other Glocks that I have owned, in 9mm, .40 and .45 ACP. Several thousand rounds down the pipe of my issued G22 and personal G27, without issue.

Please enlighten me as to how the known G36 issues are the shooter's fault, and how a pistol that cannot function reliably when used by ANYONE who picks it up is a good choice for a defensive weapon.

BTW, my Kahr CW45 works fine, shooting one-handed, upside down, or with less than a firm grip. It's lighter than a G36.
    All weapon manufacturers have lemons. My friend has a G36 with thousands of flawless rounds through it. Have you contacted Glock?

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    All weapon manufacturers have lemons. My friend has a G36 with thousands of flawless rounds through it. Have you contacted Glock?
    Nope. The sole reason I even tried a G36 was because of Glock's reputation for reliability, and my great experience with other Glocks, at a time when there really was little competition in the polymer framed pistol field. Plus, there really was no similar lightweight pistol in .45 ACP. With the Kahr CW45, I no longer have to put up with the horrible ergonomics (for me) of the Glock grip, and I get a better looking, lighter, slimmer American made pistol, to boot. This post might be considered to be a little off topic, but it does address why I couldn't care less if Glock comes out with a single stack 9mm. They don't have a clue how to build a comfortable, reliable single stack pistol, IMO, and should stick with what they know.

If it was a problem with my 2 particular G36 pistols, then I don't trust the design of that particular pistol model. Two in a row? Fool me once, shame on you.....fool me twice, shame on me! If I, as an experienced shooter, am "limp wristing" the pistol, a problem that I have with absolutely no other pistol, including other Glocks, then the design is flawed. The point is, a self defense weapon should work every time, even with a less-than-perfect grip.

I'm not the only one with less than stellar experience with the G36, as that particular model is well known as Glock's problem child. But I won't rehash others' experiences. If you've got a good one, congratulations. I'll stick to what works for me.

I suspect it was limp wristing. I have a friend with years of experience that just cannot get my g29 to not fte. I have thousands through it and not a single ftf or fte. I found the g36 to be very comfortable. As a matter if fact I never had a grip angle issue with any firearm I owned including xds 1911 glocks etc go figure

I doubt Glock will ever make a slim single stack pistol, it would require them to re-tool completely I'm sure to manufacture something so different then what they currently produce...

It looks like there will soon be a 9mm/.40 single stack compact Glock after all...

Made by Beretta (in the USA, no less)!!

The soon to be available Beretta Nano

(Nano Nano!)
    Last edited by Glockwatcher; September 13th, 2011 at 06:34 AM.

Check out the M&P Shield.
    Support Our Troops!

why?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I'm not an engineer, but one reason that Glock has not made a single stack 9mm or .40 may be that - it cannot be done, at least to Glock's long-term durability standards.

The 9mm, .357 Sig and .40 are high pressure cartridges, unlike the low pressure .45 - which Glock does make in a single stack design.

It would be interesting to see how many Kahr polymer pistols are out there with thousands upon thousands of rounds through them, which is common with Glocks. The lighter Kahr slide puts more stress on the frame - the energy of firing needs to go somewhere, and that is where it ends up. Less weight in the slide = less inertia to absorb energy = more energy transferred to the frame (and the shooter). It will also be interesting to see the long-term durability of the others - R9, DB9, PF9, LC9, 709, etc.

IIRC, the PPS is barely lighter in weight than the Glock 26, so it might fare better in long term durability - time will tell.

Some of the small 9mm pistols do not take +P ammo at all (R9), or are only rated for "occasional use (PF9, DB9)." There is a reason for that, and it might be a signal of long-term danger of battering of the frame.

In any case, this is just a guess on my part, but I think it is a factor in the lack of single-stack pistols from Glock (and others).

The post makes me laugh, it's so off base it's silly. The PPS and Shield are very reliable, lets call a spade a spade and say that Glock is resting on previous success and went from being first to a "me to" manufacturer. I love Glock, but S&W has came out with a great piece and is now stealing more and more Glock fans. It can be done and the excuse of being an engineering marvel seems lame.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I have been in the market for a single stack 9mm. I ended up buying the Walther PPS (pics and range report to come) but I was wondering why Glock (or Springfield XDs) do not make a single stack 9mm. Doing a search, there have been rumors of that happening for at least 3+ maybe even 5+ years, but it does not seem to be happening. I believe there is a huge market out there for a more concealable, smaller 9mm than what they make. I would have preferred to stay with the Glock platform, but I couldn't.

Thoughts?
    Call Smyrna and ask Glock.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links