Here's one for you: Anybody ever carry a .22 for personal protection?

This is a discussion on Here's one for you: Anybody ever carry a .22 for personal protection? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are a couple of new rounds out in .22 for self-defense, no kidding. One is a .22 Mag with a Gold Dot HP bullet ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Here's one for you: Anybody ever carry a .22 for personal protection?

There are a couple of new rounds out in .22 for self-defense, no kidding. One is a .22 Mag with a Gold Dot HP bullet that intrigues me.

So...who here has ever carried a .22-caliber pistol for personal protection?

What was it?

Why did you choose it?

No excuse

Personally, I can't think of any reason that anyone would carry a .22 for self defense. Nor can I think of a reason anyone would carry a .25 auto.

Of course it is better than nothing, but not by much. In fact, I would doubt that anyone who was serious about self-protection would carry such an anemic caliber when there are so many other serious calibers available and in platforms that rival any .22 weapon.

For me, when I cannot or do not wish to be armed, or choose not to bother with a holster or concealment attire that is fashionable and appropriate for the season, I simply pocket my S&W model 37 Airweight in 38 special...with 2 extra speed strips.

The FBI calls for 12-15 inches penetration. The .22 LR just doesn't meet the standard. Not sure if the .22 Mag would be much better out of a short handgun barrel.

GoldenLoki.com

My floor is .38/.380.

Some more interesting reading - note the "failure to incapacitate" numbers with .22 and .25 (the sample size with .32 was small and the results are thus suspect):

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by tooldawg99 View Post
    Personally, I can't think of any reason that anyone would carry a .22 for self defense.
    OK, then I'll give you one - there are some people who, due to age, infirmities, or other reasons, simply cannot handle the recoil of anything more than a .22. For them, a .22 makes a lot of sense.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I never have. But, I have seen many cases in the past where a .22 or .25 cal was used and worked for them, but it was because of where they were hit.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I carry a Beretta Bobcat 22LR in a pocket holster, if I don"t have large enough front pocket that I usually have a LCR 38. I feel that it is easier to hit center mass and follow up 2-6 rounds are much faster. I use Stinger 22's which have much higher velocity which means higher penetration.
    helderberg likes this.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I did back in the 70's.

It even saved my butt once when a disgruntled neighbor forced his way in my house when I answered the door. I've also seen a 22short stop someone cold.

Do I think a 22lr or 22mag is the best choice for SD?
    No!

But, would I carry one if I had to?
    You bet!
    helderberg and ksblazer like this.

I would definatly carry one for SD against Snakes, or anything else in the woods:)

I dont know about for EDC though, maybe as a backup weapon, but I still highly doubt it.....

Administrator
    For various reasons valid, worthwhile, or not some folks certainly do carry the .22RF for personal protection.
    So I'm all for any cartridge in .22 Rim~Fire that will prove even modestly more effective for them & for their sake.

The FBI calls for 12-15 inches penetration.
    I dont know why you would need that much, unless you are dealing with a morbidly obese perp, 15 inches is a definite through and through. all you need to drop an average build human is about 3-6 inches to hit the heart/lungs and a 22 can definitely accomplish that task. I would still want at least a 9mm on my side but I wouldn't hesitate to pack a 22 if that's all I had. I've been shot with a bb gun that just barely had enough force to get lodged under the skin, I would hate to get shot with a 22 and I'm pretty sure if some P.O.S is breaking into your house a 22 to the ass will probably make him forget about petty theft REAL QUICK! lol.
    The only Difference between the vanquished and victorious is resolve.

Ignorance is correctable, stupid aint.

It's peanutbutter jelly time

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahunua001 View Post
    I dont know why you would need that much, unless you are dealing with a morbidly obese perp, 15 inches is a definite through and through. all you need to drop an average build human is about 3-6 inches to hit the heart/lungs and a 22 can definitely accomplish that task. I would still want at least a 9mm on my side but I wouldn't hesitate to pack a 22 if that's all I had. I've been shot with a bb gun that just barely had enough force to get lodged under the skin, I would hate to get shot with a 22 and I'm pretty sure if some P.O.S is breaking into your house a 22 to the ass will probably make him forget about petty theft REAL QUICK! lol.
    car door, heavy clothing, belts, some tough vests and jackets, consistency, distance, trama, passing through weapons, passing through doors, passing through drywall.........would you like me to continue?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I never have. But, I have seen many cases in the past where a .22 or .25 cal was used and worked for them, but it was because of where they were hit.

While I don't carry one, nor would I suggest it with better options available. The bold is the key to a defensive shoot. As long as folks continue to ignore that fact, I'm thinking they'll continue to struggle with the question "Is this caliber a good choice". Bottom line, carry what you can put in the 10 ring easily and consistently. if all that is, is a .22 then so be it. The .22 will kill if it placed correctly, and all the hype against it wont change the facts surrounding the little round. Like 10thmtn stated, my floor is also the .380, but if I had to carry a .22 I'd still make the best of it. My main thoughts behind it would be. I pity the fool that makes me shoot um with it, cause I'm gonna empty the thing into um, and there's gonna be a head shot or two involved.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    When my Seecamp went back to the factory for a face lift I switched to carrying my Walther TPH in .22lr. It's only slightly larger and about the same weight and is very slim and easy to hide in a pocket. I'd rather it had been the .25acp, but I didn't have one at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahunua001 View Post
    Measure from the outside of your right bicep to your left nipple.

Bet it's right around 12".

Can you picture a situation where an antagonist would be presenting in such a position? If not, try facing a mirror and raising your right arm as if holding a weapon.

Real life rarely looks like a silhouette target--chest squarely presented, arms to the sides...

And the argument "I wouldn't want to get shot with something, so it must be a good round" is just plain silly as soon as one puts rational thought into it. No rational person wants to get shot; however, if one assumes their opponent will be rational, one will likely be gravely (pun intended) wrong.

ETA, and to remain on tiopic--while a .22 is better than harsh language, it certainly woldn't be my first choice, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone capable of handling a better caliber.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

There are a couple of new rounds out in .22 for self-defense, no kidding. One is a .22 Mag with a Gold Dot HP bullet that intrigues me.
    If you can find a link somewhere were they are sold I'll buy some.

The FBI calls for 12-15 inches penetration. The .22 LR just doesn't meet the standard. Not sure if the .22 Mag would be much better out of a short handgun barrel.
    .22 Magnum Winchester 40gr FMJ (handgun)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links