Seeking advice on gun choice.

This is a discussion on Seeking advice on gun choice. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I prefer the service/compact sized guns over the sub-compacts due to the ability to achieve a full combat grip on the weapon. I've found firearms ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Seeking advice on gun choice.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I prefer the service/compact sized guns over the sub-compacts due to the ability to achieve a full combat grip on the weapon. I've found firearms with a barrel length under 4" tend to want to lean out and away from my body when carried IWB, negating the concealment advantages of the shorter grip. Where on weapons with a 4" or longer bbl the muzzle presses against my body while holstered causing the grip to ride close to my body therefore concealing the pistol more readily even with the increased grip length.
    Lotus222 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Just bought a G26 to go with my 17,19. I plan to rotate it with my 642 airweight. I carried it on 30 minute walk Friday with shorts and t shirt. I could not tell the difference between the Glock and the Smith as far as CC goes. But the Glock carries twice the rounds, is faster, and more plesant to shoot. I say go G26, or 27.
    K9, Colt 3 5 7
    Colt Python 6",4", 2.5"
    Sig P225
    Sig P239 SAS/DAK
    Colt Diamondback
    Colt Trooper .357

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I have limited the carry of my 27 since buying a Ruger LC9 earlier this year. It has become my EDC pocket gun during the summer. I'll go back to the 27 or something larger during the colder months when I can wear a vest or jacket.

You'll soon find out that just like shoes, one gun will not be sutiable for all occasions.
    Proud NRA member

G26 is a "sweet shooter" and with with 15 round g19 mag/spacer as backup, you've got a lot of firepower!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

eb
    My xd9sc has been completely reliable. It can be a bit chunky like the Glock 26/27 depending on how you carry. Awesome gun though!

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I often run my G26 against the big boys shooting full size guns and I am always competitive and often victorious.

I'm not saying it will work for everyone but don't discount the little bugger.

Jim

Both my wife and I have a XDsc 9mm. We are both in love with the gun. Our love for them has not diminished one ounce over the past year. If anything, it's increased. I've shot it in a couple of local IDPA matches and a 500 round tactical course without any hiccups. In my opinion it is one of the sweetest shooting guns around. It just feels perfectly like butter in the hands. Everyone who has shot the gun has fallen in love with it. One of my friends is a big Glock advocate. He's definitely drank the kool-aid, lol. They are definitely one of the most reliable pistols available. But I could never enjoy the sight alignment and having to twist my wrists further forward to get the sight picture. It's just awkward and almost painful to me. He shot my XDsc last time out and he didn't say it but I think he's considering trading his G26 for the XDsc. His eyes sure lit up when he fired the XD and he was just enamored with it the rest of the day.

Bottom line is, you won't go wrong with either one of those guns. Just handle them both, shoot both if possible and get what feels best to you.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Love my G26 for 9mm. In a .40 I prefer the XDsc.

I have both the 19 & 26 and I love them both. I find that I shoot the 26 as well as the larger 19.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

You should look at the Walther PPK before you buy anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam42 View Post
    You should look at the Walther PPK before you buy anything.

I did look at a Walther. I like the feel of the gun, but the lower mag capacity and only one magazine included with the gun are on the minus side.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

My vote is for the G33. Same size as the 26/27 but power.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

eb
    I've nearly bought a Glock about 6x over the past few years, but I seem to not be able to "pull the trigger" as it were. The grips just throw me off, I never feel like the gun is comfortable in my hand. Still, there is no arguing with buying one overall, except for the spring problems on this latest gen. I'll buy one eventually, probably a 23 in .40 since I have no 40's which is a great excuse, lol. Most recently I opted to buy a Taurus PT145 over the Glock 30 in .45 caliber. While I don't claim the Taurus is anywhere near the overall quality of the Glock, for $379 its been utterly flawless in operation like my TCP.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    If I may.... Glock 26 or Glock 27. I have the 26 and love it. Very nice pistol. In retrospect, I wish I had got the 27 though simply for continuity. (Easier to stock .40 and .45 than 9mm, .40 and .45.)
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Picked up SP2022 9mm the other day! only 100 round through her and no issues!

DSC_3638_2.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links