Seeking advice on gun choice.

This is a discussion on Seeking advice on gun choice. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking to get a sub compact handgun. Looking for people who own, or have fired a Springfield XD 9 SC, Glock 26, Gen 4, or ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Seeking advice on gun choice.

Looking to get a sub compact handgun. Looking for people who own, or have fired a Springfield XD 9 SC, Glock 26, Gen 4, or a Glock 27, Gen 3.

Thanks,

Ken
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

I have an XD9sc and consider it to to be an excellent pistol. However as I have aged it was too heavy to carry all day and I now carry a Kahr CW9 or CM9. The Kahr is a striker fired, slim compact pistol with a double action trigger. It did take some practice to master the smooth long trigger. I shoot good groups from 3 to 25 yards. I do carry a spare because these single stack pistols do not carry as many rounds as the Xd or Glock pistols. Carry in a pocket or holster and they disappear.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

I find the grip on the Gen 4s I've shot to be significantly improved over the Gen 3s. I like the XD 9 SC quite a bit for feel and [lack of] recoil. I seem to remember finding the break on the XD cleaner than the Glock, but liked the reset better on the Glocks.

-424D57

I have a Glock 26 & 27. They both carry very well and can do what their bigger brothers; 17,19,22,23 can do. They are both accurate out to 25 yards and beyond (Hickok 45 regularly hits a gong at 80 yards and even out to 230 w/ the 27)

I shoot them both very well, but the 26 is faster to reaquire the front sight for a follow up shot. When shooting them side by side the 27 has a good bit more snap to it. But if you end up getting the 27 and train w/ it, the recoil shouldn't bother you. The only way to know for sure is to shoot them both.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I like my Glock 27 but was also looking at the XD40 or even the S and D 40

I say drop the hammer on a g27
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

I would say glock, 26 or 27 will do
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

IMO It all depends on what u want to do with it... I have a Kahr pm9 that has been flawless(over 5000rds), like stated earlier it is a single stack, slim, light little blaster. I pocket carry it 99% of the time with the other times being IWB. if u wanna carry IWB all the time i would get the 26 and be set, i like the 9mm for several reasons; less recoil and faster follow ups, 9mm is cheap to shoot so u can practice a lot more, and with the modern Hp ammo today u cant sneeze at the 9mm especially 11 of them(13-14 with a Pearce Ext)

Dont just take our advice, go rent a m&p9c, g26, g27, rent whatever u think u might want to buy and compare them personally

...of your choices, I'll vote for the Glock-26.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I am partial to Springfield myself, it just feels better in my hand. I do own and regularly shoot the xdsc.

IMHO the subcompacts aren't that much different than their compact brotheren in the Glock line up. I recently traded my G26 for a G19 and have no regrets. Size difference is minute, capacity of rounds for the compact is better, and obviously a little easier to be acurate with the slightly longer barrel. FYI, If you have a +2 pinky extension made by pearce on your G26 Mag then you are pretty much carrying the G19 & don't know it.

I also use a G23, same size as The G19, and that 40 kicks with hard hitting ammo. I don't believe I would much care for a smaller version of it.

I like renting guns at local range if possible before I buy. Its a relatively inexpensive way to ensure yourself that you are making the best decision you can with all the information you gather. Nothin like runnin 50 rounds through something before you lay down that cold hard cash to purchase.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

I have a G27 and unless you're looking for a pocket carry pistol I can definitely recommended it. Small, light weight, accurate, reliable and very easy takedown. Somewhat snappy but not unmanagable even for a pint size individual like me (if that's an issue go with the G26).
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedG30 View Post
    IMHO the subcompacts aren't that much different than their compact brotheren in the Glock line up. I recently traded my G26 for a G19 and have no regrets. Size difference is minute, capacity of rounds for the compact is better, and obviously a little easier to be acurate with the slightly longer barrel. FYI, If you have a +2 pinky extension made by pearce on your G26 Mag then you are pretty much carrying the G19 & don't know it.

I also use a G23, same size as The G19, and that 40 kicks with hard hitting ammo. I don't believe I would much care for a smaller version of it.

I like renting guns at local range if possible before I buy. Its a relatively inexpensive way to ensure yourself that you are making the best decision you can with all the information you gather. Nothin like runnin 50 rounds through something before you lay down that cold hard cash to purchase.
    I have both the 19, and 26 (and 17, and 24...lol) and I find that the G26 is easier to kep from printing when just wearing a T-shirt over the gun. Cold weather the G19 comes out though. Both are excellent pistols.

Also, the Gen4 G26 and 27 are NOT affected by the issues of some of the other Gen4 pistols. My G26 is a Gen4, and I LOVE it.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    ...of your choices, I'll vote for the Glock-26.
    I got to agree. The Glock 26 shines as a subcompact 9mm. I felt the Glock 27 was a little too snappy for me. But overall either guns are great choices. I have no experience with the XD. However I did like my friends full sized XD when I fired it. But I am a Glock man.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I own just about every Glock model out there. I carried a 27 (.40 cal) for a while but truly did not like the kick in the recoil. It is inherent in the caliber, not the gun. I also had issues with loading a magazine to capacity so I ended up with one less round. At that point I said, why am I carrying a 27 and I switch to a 26. I am very happy with the concealability, accuracy, recoil, quality, etc., etc., etc. I am a short (fat, bald and ugly but I digress) guy so I cannot hide a 19 well, otherwise I would carry that.

Because of my back issues, I recently switched to a Walther PPS. It is not any lighter, per se, but it carries a bit less ammo, is thinner and shoots as well. If I had my druthers, I would still be with my Glock.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links